outdoor Kennels?

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Does anyone have one?

There is a house around here that has a nice shed type thing built in the yard with doggy doors on it and then a fenced in outdoor area for pottying and such.

When we eventually get our house out in the country I'd love to get something like this. Somewhere warm and safe that the dogs can stay when we are out and still have access to the outside and also a place to put them if we are having a large group of guests over. They are friendly dogs but they don't have a whole lot of manners lol because we rarely have people over. in this house with three people and two dogs all the room is filled so having people over gets... cozy LOL

Anyone have an outdoor kennel set up? pictures?

ACooper

We don't have the set up that you are talking about.

We have this with a dog house in it. It's inside our privacy fence, it's the potty area and a place for them to stay if we have a house full and/or people who are scared of dogs over. I would love a full on kennel house, but like you, we live on a city lot :(

(random stock photo from the internet, but the exact model we have)

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Yup, we do. Although we don't have it "attached" to a shed type thing, it is out by our garden shed, so it does get offered some protection from the elements. We have a 10'x10' kennel section up against the shed. We put pavers down to keep the dogs out of mud if it rains. The west side of the kennel is up against the shed, and the north side is covered with a tarp so the dog houses are angled in that corner to keep wind/rain/snow out of them. We have a shade tarp for the summer, and there is also room for a kiddy pool in there if needed. We also have it by an outlet so we can hook up a heated water dish for the winter.

We also have a 20'x16' kennel area attached to it so we can open up the door and let them have run of that grass area. Honestly, having a little 6'x10' are would have been just fine for bathroom reasons, but we had the panels and I thought we may as well use them.

Some neighbors I used to dog sit for used an indoor/outdoor system. They had a kennel like the one posted above inside their garage, with the sides secured to the wall. A dog door went out from that kennel into a 6'x10' kennel outside, that had pavers down on it to keep the dogs out of mud (because, even if it starts out as grass, if the dogs spend any kind of time in it they will tread it down to mud) and a shade tarp over the top. I liked the set up.

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
My favourite Akita breeder uses outdoor kennels, they are gorgeous. I wish I could find the photos she had showed us back in the Yahoo Chat days. Bluevine Akitas is her kennel name, maybe there are some on her website somewhere? They were beautiful though.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
If you mean like the outdoor area has flooring (concrete/wood) instead of being on grass (which is easier cleaning and necessary unless you get the kind of kennel that moves or else the grass area would be totally done for in no time at all lol

I really like this one

Here is where the picture is from http://mdsheds.net/ANIMALSHELTERS.html

A bigger option

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
No, a much simpler option (if you like to DIY).. would be to buy a shed (install a dog door in the side) and simply buy a kennel run (or simple chain link fencing) and attach it

(this is what many chicken coop people have done, so this is a chicken example lol but same purpose.. just dog sized side door instead of chicken sized)

All that would be left would be figuring out flooring (concrete etc..)

JessLough

Love My Mutt
In my opinion it is obvious. I advise to you to try to look in google.com
:rofl1: you've been told.

A JRT breeder I was going to dog-sit for had a system like that to rotate dogs. I ended up not being able to accept the job though, cause it runs into my Florida time :(

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
No, a much simpler option (if you like to DIY).. would be to buy a shed (install a dog door in the side) and simply buy a kennel run (or simple chain link fencing) and attach it

(this is what many chicken coop people have done, so this is a chicken example lol but same purpose.. just dog sized side door instead of chicken sized)

All that would be left would be figuring out flooring (concrete etc..)
If you mean like the outdoor area has flooring (concrete/wood) instead of being on grass (which is easier cleaning and necessary unless you get the kind of kennel that moves or else the grass area would be totally done for in no time at all lol

I really like this one

Here is where the picture is from http://mdsheds.net/ANIMALSHELTERS.html

A bigger option
yeah something like those two :) I kinda like the idea of just getting a regular shed and building on the kennel area. probably cheaper to do that too

Hmmm I hadn't thought of the grass being a problem. I don't know if they would go on cement or not but I suppose if they had to go bad enough they would just do it lol and that would prevent digging issues too (my dogs are diggers)

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
:rofl1: you've been told.

A JRT breeder I was going to dog-sit for had a system like that to rotate dogs. I ended up not being able to accept the job though, cause it runs into my Florida time :(
yeah spammers like me lol they area always posting in my threads :rofl1:

ACooper

Oh ya, you will definitely want concrete, or some type of sub flooring, ESPECIALLY if your dogs are diggers. They will kill the grass very quickly with the digging, walking, peeing, and pooping in one area. Then all you'll have is a mud fest.......yuck!

Even in our kennel we have concrete pavers for flooring. I scoop and hose it down.....easy peasy :)

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
My parents have an indoor/outdoor run set up off of their detached garage - they used river run gravel in the outside portion to minimize mud without the hassle of having to pour concrete. The river run packs down quite nicely.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
My parents have an indoor/outdoor run set up off of their detached garage - they used river run gravel in the outside portion to minimize mud without the hassle of having to pour concrete. The river run packs down quite nicely.
Hmmm I will have to remember this. :)

Kimbers

We have a 10x10 dog run with a dog house for each dog in the corner of our yard. Half of it will eventually be covered to keep snow/rain off it. Schaffer's an escape artist, though, so it's lined with bricks (around the corners) and has giant boards against the bottom of the chain link. lol
Random, but I think both dogs' favorite place to be is sun bathing on the roof of their dog houses.

Members online

No members online now.