The dog musing/vent thread

Dagwall

Yay! First Novice leg :D

And I'm also an idiot and can't read. I entered Instinct in the morning and Novice in the afternoon. I COULD HAVE entered Instinct AND Novice in the morning, Novice in the afternoon since they were two different trials. But I didn't because I don't even know. I got to spend many an hour doing nothing LOL.
Darn, I'm sorry you missed out on the first trial. I remember you asking and I told you you could do both at the first trial. :( I think that might happen somewhat frequently with some groups when it isn't always clear. A number of the premiums I've looked at though make it easier by coupling instinct and novice as a sign up option. Like check the box for trial one with options of instinct+novice, novice, open, senior, master. That way you can't miss out. At least you'll know for next time.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Yesterday we met up at the park for nosework and a group of larpers set up next to us. The dogs did so good ignoring the people yelling and sword fighting and shooting bows. Everyone wasn't phased and just kept on searching.

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
Supposed to be at a scent detection workshop today with Rig...except the lady that was supposed to sign us up forgot....
I know I shouldn't complain because all my seminars and stuff are free. But still grrrr

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
People who think that working / herding / terrier / sporting breeds should be changed or modified so people who want a dog who looks like a BC, Aussie, Malinois, ACD etc ... But acts like a golden.

If someone likes the temperament of a golden so might then they should get a golden and leave the high drive working or sporting breeds alone!!

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
People who think that working / herding / terrier / sporting breeds should be changed or modified so people who want a dog who looks like a BC, Aussie, Malinois, ACD etc ... But acts like a golden.

If someone likes the temperament of a golden so might then they should get a golden and leave the high drive working or sporting breeds alone!!

I couldn't agree more!

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
Got our second leg RATN leg! We should have had her title today but handler is dumb and didn't read the indication clearly. Though in my defense the first two times we did a Novice run she went to the correct tube and started freaking out at it. This time she did not. And she was paying attention to another tube and went back and forth between them a couple of times, so that totally threw me for a loop LOL.

Darn, I'm sorry you missed out on the first trial. I remember you asking and I told you you could do both at the first trial. :( I think that might happen somewhat frequently with some groups when it isn't always clear. A number of the premiums I've looked at though make it easier by coupling instinct and novice as a sign up option. Like check the box for trial one with options of instinct+novice, novice, open, senior, master. That way you can't miss out. At least you'll know for next time.
Yeah, you totally did tell me I could do that LOL. But oh well. Now I know for next time :D

Hoping to try again in May. I like the game but I think we will just try for her Novice and stop there. She's quickly realizing that when she finds the rat she's done playing off leash in the hay area, and that's not good with her. And I never want her to get in to the habit of like running from me after an agility run or something.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew

Generally speaking, those actually who think that don't want a real working Golden, either.

"acts like a Golden" can be incredibly misleading.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Generally speaking, those actually who think that don't want a real working Golden, either.

"acts like a Golden" can be incredibly misleading.
Yes I realize that now lol, golden, lab etc, the "real" versions are much much different then the "show / companion" one, which has become ... Well I wouldn't say "rare", but they have definitely gotten less common then the version everyone is used to seeing (you know, the air bud-esque one).

But I used them for reference since that breed has become the quint essential "family" dog and I think a good example for the point I as trying to make

Meh I'm one of those people, not because I want them, but most people are not smart enough to research a breed, they buy on looks alone. If having lower key ones available keeps them in their homes then great.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Yes I realize that now lol, golden, lab etc, the "real" versions are much much different then the "show / companion" one, which has become ... Well I wouldn't say "rare", but they have definitely gotten less common then the version everyone is used to seeing (you know, the air bud-esque one).

But I used them for reference since that breed has become the quint essential "family" dog and I think a good example for the point I as trying to make
Yeah I knew what you meant, it's just that the perpetuation of that stereotype (especially by people who know better but use it anyway) is a pet peeve of mine.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
That reminds me of the time I had Wesley with me and was chatting with someone about him, and they asked if poodles were like golden retrievers or GSDs in temperament...uh they're like poodles? Nope, there are two temperaments, bam. Done.

Paviche

Duuuuude.
No, your cute little USA mutt is not an extremely rare breed almost exclusively seen overseas, where there are fewer than 200 registered every year. *facepalm*

Yeah I knew what you meant, it's just that the perpetuation of that stereotype (especially by people who know better but use it anyway) is a pet peeve of mine.
Yes, people who don't like sporting breeds should get... golden retrievers? It bugs me, too, because it's not like goldens are bumps on a log.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I decided to go to bed early last night. Took some benadryl at 8. But no. Summer was having a grumbly tummy, which means the world is ending for Summer. Her tummy would make a noise then she'd come get in my face then sit repeatedly on my head. She would not sleep at all. And of course then I couldn't sleep either.

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
No, your cute little USA mutt is not an extremely rare breed almost exclusively seen overseas, where there are fewer than 200 registered every year. *facepalm*
Wait you mean Rigby, my rare Highbread Australian Dingbat isn't actually a rare breed?! *heart broken* :rofl1:
I love it, especially when the dog is from a shelter - oh he's a purebred PVGV. Um probably more likely a Basset mix.
Then again I suppose I am actually guilty of that too by calling Rigby a Kelpie mix, when really there aren't many Kelpies up here in Ontario....crap lol.

My vent for today:
Go to bed at 10:30, wake up at 1, covered in a certain mutts urine. Great. That's never happened before. Strip the sheets and try to sleep on the unsoiled side.
Not gonna happen, mattress smells.
Cobain starts acting like a weirdo standing at the door. Let him outside and nothing, wont go back to sleep just sits at the door. He slept in the crate last night for precautionary purposes.

The dogs that are typically bad? Not so much as an annoyed sigh from them. Practically slept through it all.

So happy I have a spare room. I left the other 3 dogs in my room with the door shut and went to sleep there alone.
It was beautiful.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I should have. I was being lazy and hoping she'd just settle down and I wouldn't have to get up.

As far as the goldens go, one of my friends just had to return her golden to the breeder for aggression issues. Show bred dog too.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I would have crated her so fast. No one disturbs my sleep.
This. I had a dog who was a chronic butt licker and I would kick her out if I told her to stop and she didn't ... I HATE that licking slurping sound ... Ugh.

A golden is not a "bump on a log" no but they are certainly easier then many of the high drive working and herding breeds. Perhaps I should have said "your average companion dog [insert breed here].

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Meh. Depends on the dog. I know several goldens that are as drivey as the driviest of border collies. It manifests a little different but they're still high drive, high energy large breed dogs.

I like goldens a lot but find I don't mesh well with their energy type so much. I would have a much easier time with your average herding breed.

Members online