Stay

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I taught Buzz a "stay" and a "wait there" cue. I used a tether to teach "wait there" as it was a general area I wanted him to remain in rather than a position.

I teach stay by feeding continuously while I move around the dog. (Easy cheese is really nice for this!) I start looking for the dog to hesitate before I feed and build up from there... This is totally something I could actually take a video of... I just might do that!
Or you could come teach my puppy and post a video of that :p Cause stay is obedience, right?

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I taught stay from day one, with their food bowl. Every time they were fed, they had to sit/stay. Gradually build up time/how far away I am from the bowl before they received their release cue. Using that as a base, it really wasn't difficult to transfer over to a stay command without the food bowl as a cue.
Yeah that's how I taught wait. Sort of. Lol I never added in duration. But her wait command is just as strong as her stay - and there was more effort and training put into teaching stay. So I guess she generalized on that one pretty well lol.

Cali Mae

Little dog, big voice
This is how I teach it too. As long as criteria isn't raised too quickly and you ensure your dog is still engaged and having fun it's a good method. I always advise to teach it in very small doses and play or do other fun tricks etc in between.
This is basically how I taught it, and eventually, we moved outside where I'd run up along the brick wall or on the yard and get all excited for a few moments before coming back to reward her.

If a bouncy Cali can stay in a down position for three whole minutes to pass an obedience class, I think Hudson should be able to pick it up in a jiffy! :p

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Yeah that's how I taught wait. Sort of. Lol I never added in duration. But her wait command is just as strong as her stay - and there was more effort and training put into teaching stay. So I guess she generalized on that one pretty well lol.
I'm a cruel, cruel person and once they build up duration will actually start to leave the room and make them work on out-of-sight stays before they get their dinner. Lol

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I'm a cruel, cruel person and once they build up duration will actually start to leave the room and make them work on out-of-sight stays before they get their dinner. Lol
Oh God, they think I'm cruel because I make them wait till it's ON THE FLOOR. :rofl1: Oh the horror.

Members online

No members online now.