Stray dog I took in, don't know what he is...

JFrick

Hey everyone, been a while since I've logged on.
Anyway, this dog along with a female Beagle showed up in my yard about 2 weeks ago. They didn't have collers, so no id's. I posted a bunch of found flyers in my area but never got any responses. Also called all the vets and shelters in my area to check if anyone called looking for them. I feel they were dropped off near my house and abandoned. Anyway, I started providing them with food and water and now have adopted them both.

I'm curious to see if anyone knows what breed or mix he is. He weighs around 65 pounds, has a kind of short snout, and a wide head (ear to ear). He's really gentle, very sweet dog...both of them are. He has also had some training, knows sit, lay down, come, and shake...

Here's the sad part. The Beagle is pregnant. Pretty sure the larger dog is the father, but really don't know. I know that can cause problems during the delivery if the pups are too large. I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow....I already know she's too far along to have them aborted. She's a very sweet dog also. She doesn't seem to be trained, just the male.

Here's the Beagle.....

Anyway, I'm really curious to see what responses I get on his breed...Thanks.

jess2416

Who woulda thought
hmmmmm.....not sure what he is....:) but he's very handsome :)

I was getting ready to ask if the beagle was preggers...

glad you took them in :)

Last edited:

JFrick

Thanks...I fixed them too. Realized I used the wrong format after I posted it...you must have fixed them at the same time I was fixing my post..Thanks again...

Charliesmommy

I run with scissors
Aww...don't know what he is but they both look very sweet. How could anyone just dump them? Bless your little heart for taking them in!!!

JFrick

They both are very sweet....I was sitting on the steps of my house the other night waiting for my charcoal to burn down so I could grill out...Well, he comes up the steps, sits down beside me and puts his paw up on my shoulder and just sat there like that...It was like he was thanking me for taking them in...

I really think they were dumped b/c the owner didn't want to deal with the pregnant Beagle. Only thing I can think of since they are both so sweet...People that do that kind of thing should be dumped off somewhere.

By the way, I'm keeping the Beagle in a pen since she is pregnant. I live out in the country, so he stays loose. He doens't leave my yard at all anymore since I started feeding and playing with him. Plus, he won't go far away from the Beagle, it's easy to see they have a really strong bond.

Charliesmommy

I run with scissors
I was sitting on the steps of my house the other night waiting for my charcoal to burn down so I could grill out...Well, he comes up the steps, sits down beside me and puts his paw up on my shoulder and just sat there like that...It was like he was thanking me for taking them in...
*sniffle sniffle* that brings a little tear to my eyes

JFrick

My girlfriend had just walked out onto my porch right before he did that. I thought she was gonna cry. She was saying that's the sweetest thing she had ever seen...

Wow, they really are a couple of treasures. How could anyone NOT want them. I'm so glad that they found you.

To me, the male looks like he may be part St. Bernard mixed with something smaller...collie maybe. Very handsome anyway. The beagle has the sweetest face too....just adorable the both of them.

Please keep us posted. I'll be wondering about the mama and her pups and what the Vet has to say.

Congratulations on your new instant family!:)

JFrick

Thanks....I know have 4 dogs with who knows how many more on the way, haha....

Funny you said that, I see Saint Bernard also....and maybe Border Collie??

Thanks....I know have 4 dogs with who knows how many more on the way, haha....

Funny you said that, I see Saint Bernard also....and maybe Border Collie??
I swear, I just looked at him again and he really does look exactly as one would expect a St. Bernard/Border Collie mix to look. Even the width of his tail...and of course that head and mixed ear shape/carrige. Stranger things have happened.

I was at a session the other day with a chocolate lab/bassett hound mix.
She was dark chocolate color with amber eyes. The body and tail of a bassett with the head of a lab and ears in between the length of a bassett and a lab....quite the combination. She was an ARF rescue and very sweet.

JFrick

He's also really intelligent, which suggest Border Collie also. BUT, he is also extremely lazy, haha. He even lays down while eating....

Basset Mixes are the cutest things ever. There was a Basset/gsd mix on petfinder a while ago. Looked like a black short legged GSD!

I might see some spaniel in the male, but a Saint mix might look very much the same anyway...

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I see Border Collie in his face... and I do see St. Bernard as well, Dr2little.

Wow, that is really great how you took both of them in. It's a shame that someone would abandon two beautiful dogs... especially one that is pregnant :(

Sush

I see some chow in his eyes and head for some reason. I'm sure he's a few things mixed together. Maybe some St. Bernard, Border Collie, Springer Spaniel, Aussie Shepherd. Those are some of the breeds I see him possibly being.

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
the first thing I thought of was St.Bernard--his coat, and face have St. appearance to me. Not sure what else!! Both dogs sound like real sweethearts--did you give them names?

Members online