Bhutias, anyone?

kishmish

Hi,

I live in a small village on a huge farmhouse in India, I own 13 bhutias (an Indian breed - they're generally used by shepherds in the hills to protect their flocks from leopards) and this number has recently swelled to 20 with the birth of seven gorgeous puppies!

Giny

Welcome to Chazhound!

You've peeked my interest, I've never seen or heard of a bhutias before. I'd love to hear more about them and see pictures. :)

kishmish

Photos

hi everyone, thanks for the welcome! it would be impossible for me to post photos of all our dogs today - there are so many!! here are a couple of my favourites: the blonde bhutia is "Toosh" - alpha female, so affectionate and is the one currently nursing seven pups.

The black one is "Tagadu" - alpha male and so arrogant!

am also posting a couple of the newborns - they are soooooo adorable!! they're only around 10 days old and they already have such distinct personalities!

also - bhutias are an Indian breed - i'm not sure if they're official or anything, but shepherds use them in the hills to protect their flocks from leopards.

okay, here goes... first time using flickr so i hope the links work! enjoy!

Rubylove

Training the Trainer
Wow they are beautiful!!! The gold one looks like, well, a Golden!! Gorgeous, gorgeous. What are their personalities like? I can't believe you have 20!!!!! Heaven!!! (and a handful!)

kishmish

Thanks Ruby, they are absolutely lovely in temperament. I'm going to copy and paste something I wrote earlier to give you an idea of what they're like - I can't write anymore right now - am wrecked from all the puppy-sitting!

"Like with most dogs bred for aggression-related work (shepherds use them in the hills to protect their flocks from leopards), I think each dog's temperament depends on the upbringing of the dog - ours are all affectionate because from the word go (and we got them when they were WAY too young to be taken from their mothers, we were feeding them every two hours from a syringe type thing!) we handled them a lot, took their food away and returned it etc, so now the family members can do ANYTHING with the dogs and they don't even growl. On the flip side I've known Bhutia owners who have kept their dogs chained up and hardly given them affection, and as a result those dogs are completely vicious. Sad but true. I think the same can be said of other breeds like German Shepherds, Dobermanns, Rottweilers (ESPECIALLY rotts - my blood boils when I read some of the bad rap they get simply because of bad upbringing.) "

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Congrates on such a fine looking litter! The range of colors is extroidinary. I love the intelligent look on the mother's face and oh my the dark dog is very handsome. Looking forward to learning more about your beautiful dogs.

Kama

I think the Bhutia is closely related to what we know in the west as the Tibetan Mastiff.

Members online

No members online now.