Imaginary friends?

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Well, my childhood videos are being studied by some childhood developmental researchers because my parents, worrisome as ever, used to hide and set up hidden cameras in the house to observe me talking with and playing with Augustus, my imaginary friend.

The videos are quite funny. I used to talk to him about basically everything and we used to color and watch TV together and play chess/checkers.. the researchers are particularly interested because when I spoke to him I would turn my head, look, listen, and respond (like you would in conversation with a person) and would do things like walk and wait for him to catch up (even when walking a hallway alone)
It used to really freak my parents/older brothers out :rofl1: one of my brothers especially thought I was talking to a ghost and I remember him getting upset when I said Gus was sitting next to him at the dinner table :rofl1:

They say imaginary friends are common with only kids (I was 10 years younger than my brothers), without pets and like me, who weren't allowed to watch TV lol

I used to remember what he looked like but now I hardly can. I still remember what I thought he sounded like I think!

I can only remember a handful of things, mostly from the videos and me telling my parents.

- He was from England (lol who knows where I got that from)
- He liked to ride horses (which is strange because he wasn't a person)
- He only ate ice cream
- He liked to play chess
- His favorite color was orange, which I hated because I hated orange
- He slept on the moon
- He was picked on in school
- He was very good at math

I don't even remember when exactly I stopped talking to him, one day it just happened I guess. I used to get picked on at school because people knew, so I assume that helped speed the process of forgetting about him.

I told my parents he went to live on the moon and couldn't come down anymore. Which I always thought was pretty cute.

Any imaginary friends?

Last edited:

Picklepaige

I had one. He was a griffin named...Griffin. Haha.

On a long drive, I would pass the time by pretending he was running/flying beside the car and having to jump over obstacles and whatnot.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
That's really cool! lol I remember doing that as well!

I can't even remember/explain what Augustus looked like. I know his size would change depending on where I was. and I know he was not a "humanoid" if we were gonna put a label on it :rofl1:

I'd say the closest thing would be a dragon.. type.. thing. But no claws, and rather large ears, and big eyes.
and I do believe he was furry! :rofl1: I'd love to have a sketch artist kind of figure him out one day

Did you imaginary animals speak? or follow you places?

I never did the imaginary friend thing but I also had a sister, dogs/cats and two neighbor brothers that I spent most days with.

I was huge on the pretending to be something like being our golden's puppy or being a horse or a lion or coming up with crazy adventures in the yard involving swords (tree branches).

But no imaginary friends! Though, it's really cool hearing about them.

ACooper

I did not have any, but I had younger siblings by the time I was three. Now my oldest son was an only child for nine years and surrounded by adults at home, and he had an imaginary friend for a few years.

As I recall, his 'friend' was named little steve (not overly creative since my son's name is steve, lol) and he liked most of the things my son disliked. Ex: Steve hated spinach....little steve needed seconds. Steve didn't care for the green ranger...of course that was little steve's favorite one. I found it cute how he gave his friend the same name but made him opposite in his tastes, lol

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I had one. He was a griffin named...Griffin. Haha.

On a long drive, I would pass the time by pretending he was running/flying beside the car and having to jump over obstacles and whatnot.
I had imaginary dogs and would do the same!

I had plenty of imaginary friends over the years but they were mostly TV characters that I liked. For a while Gex the Gecko (from a video game) was an imaginary friend. Also lots of imaginary dogs... lots. My parents should have just let me have a dog LOL.

Saeleofu

THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I DID WITH MY IMAGINARY HORSES!

lowercase

Xandra

I used to have the imaginary horse run beside the car too. In reddit, there was a big thread of people who used to do this :rofl1: (I actually still do sometimes, but it doesn't work at high speeds anymore)

My horse was an Iberian type stallion, white with a black mane and tail and his name was Esteban.

I had both two siblings and pets off and on. Also had an imaginary dog named Tuna :)he was a scruffy greyish brown dog, terrierish. Then later on I made up an imaginary cat named Rusty so Tuna would't be lonely. Tuna was "real" though lol whereas even though I "saw" Rusty, I knew he was imaginary.

I did pretend there were unicorns in yards, horses running by my car, and all sortsof thingslike that. They were a great game of ptend and I got really into it, but nithing like I had with Tuna. Sounds crazy, but I partially believe Tuna was some type of spirit or energy. Actually kind of believe ig about a lot of true imaginary friends.

Eta holy typos! This tablet is giving me fits. Will edit in the morning on my laptop as this is ridiculous :/

Snark

Mutts to you
THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I DID WITH MY IMAGINARY HORSES!
Me, too! I would also pretend to be riding a horse home from school (much better than plain ol' walking), jumping fences and ditches with style. Lol!

No imaginary friends - had a twin sister instead (and drove - and still drive - Mom crazy with our non-verbal conversations).

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
The OP reminds me of this "article" by The Onion lol

More U.S. Children Being Diagnosed With Youthful Tendency Disorder

REDLANDS, CA–Nicholas and Beverly Serna's daughter Caitlin was only four years old, but they already knew there was a problem.

Day after day, upon arriving home from preschool, Caitlin would retreat into a bizarre fantasy world. Sometimes, she would pretend to be people and things she was not. Other times, without warning, she would burst into nonsensical song. Some days she would run directionless through the backyard of the Sernas' comfortable Redlands home, laughing and shrieking as she chased imaginary objects.

When months of sessions with a local psychologist failed to yield an answer, Nicholas and Beverly took Caitlin to a prominent Los Angeles pediatric neurologist for more exhaustive testing. Finally, on Sept. 11, the Sernas received the heartbreaking news: Caitlin was among a growing legion of U.S. children suffering from Youthful Tendency Disorder.

"As horrible as the diagnosis was, it was a relief to finally know," said Beverly. "At least we knew we weren't bad parents. We simply had a child who was born with a medical disorder."
Onion Med Watch

Youthful Tendency Disorder (YTD), a poorly understood neurological condition that afflicts an estimated 20 million U.S. children, is characterized by a variety of senseless, unproductive physical and mental exercises, often lasting hours at a time. In the thrall of YTD, sufferers run, jump, climb, twirl, shout, dance, do cartwheels, and enter unreal, unexplainable states of "make-believe."

"The Youthful child has a kind of love/hate relationship with reality," said Johns Hopkins University YTD expert Dr. Avi Gwertzman. "Unfit to join the adult world, they struggle to learn its mores and rules in a process that can take the entirety of their childhood. In the meantime, their emotional and perceptive problems cause them to act out in unpredictable and extremely juvenile ways. It's as though they can only take so much reality; they have to 'check out,' to go Youthful for a while."

On a beautiful autumn day in Asheville, NC, six-year-old Cameron Boudreaux is swinging on a park swingset–a monotonous, back-and-forth action that apparently gives him solace. Spotting his mother on a nearby bench, Cameron rushes eagerly to her and asks, "Guess what?" His mother responds with a friendly, "What?"

With unbridled glee, Cameron shouts, "Chicken butt!"--cryptic words understood only by him--before laughing and dashing off again, leaving his mother distraught over yet another baffling non-conversation.

"I must admit, it's been a struggle," Mary Boudreaux said. "What can I say to him when he says something like that, something that makes no sense? Or when he runs through the house yelling while I'm trying to balance the checkbook? You can't just say, 'Please, Cameron, don't have a disorder for just a few minutes so I can concentrate.'"

Cameron's psychological problems run even deeper. He can name every one of his beloved, imaginary Pokemon characters, but the plain realities of the actual world he inhabits are an enigma: Ask Cameron the name of the real-life city councilman sponsoring the referendum to renovate the park just across the street from his house–a park he plays in daily–and he draws a blank.

According to Dr. Dinesh Agarwal, director of child psychiatry at NYU Medical Center, such disconnectedness from reality is a coping mechanism for YTD sufferers. "The Youthful child is born into a world he or she does not fully understand," Agarwal said. "Their brain pathways are still forming, and they need to repetitively relearn how to assimilate into society. These disassociative play-fantasies apparently help them accomplish that."

But such fantasies come at a price, producing in Youthful children a disinterest in the everyday responsibilities of life bordering on contempt.

"Jesse knows when it's his turn to take out the trash. We've gone over the house rules a dozen times," said Richard Torres, a Davenport, IA, father of three whose nine-year-old son Jesse was recently diagnosed with YTD. "And still he neglects the job time and again."

Slowly, methodically, through an elaborate system of rewards and punishments, Jesse has shown improvement. But the road ahead is long.

"We get a lot of platitudes from the so-called experts," Torres said. "We hear a lot of, 'Oh, he'll grow out of it, just give it time.' That's easy for them to say–their kid's not running around the neighborhood claiming to be Superman."

Help for families struggling with YTD may soon be on the way. At last month's annual AMA Convention, Smithkline-Beecham unveiled Juvenol, a promising YTD drug which, pending FDA approval, could reach the U.S. market as early as next spring. Already available in France and Sweden, Juvenol, the Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet reported, resulted in a 60 percent decrease in running and jumping among users.

But until such help arrives, the parents of YTD sufferers can do little more than try to get through each day.

"I love my child with all my heart," said Alexandra Torres, Jesse's mother. "But when he's in the throes of one of his skipping fits, it's hard not to feel a little envious of parents with normal, healthy children."

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I had three imaginary friends. A Hawk, a Raccoon, and then Yoshi. Lol The Hawk was the one that was around most often, though.
I never really spoke to them allowed or went to quite the same extent you did, Fran, buy they were definitely there!

And I, too, would jump them over obstacles on long drives. LOL

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
The only one I remember was a dragon - dog-sized, green, with awesome wings, named Forrest. We didn't really talk, but he came with me to school and would follow along in my daily activities.

RBark

Got Floof?
I had tons of imaginary friends growing up.

I used to play RISK and Monopoly against them. I'd have up to 6 people and I'd play every turn against their own personalities.

I never had "one" imaginary friend. It was a different one every day, or even every hour some days. A cowboy, an indian, astronaut, characters from disney stuff, or often just plain made up people who are sometimes super cool, and other times super lame.

I still do have this tendency. Although I don't play or talk with them out loud anymore (except when no one is looking), I do have an extremely overactive imagination and can easily spend hours with imaginary people in a story in my head. I just don't act it out anymore.

Well, there was that one time I stabbed my Assistant with an imaginary sword because I did not know she was behind me. Fortunately, I quickly explained to her I just picked up fencing and was practicing. I think she may have fell for it.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
I didn't but I knew people that did and I really wanted one too so I tried to make one and it just never worked out for me LOL. I was jealous that others had imaginary friends and I didn't lol.

Hannah doesn't really have an imaginary friend but all her stuffed animals are alive to her. she takes them everywhere, talks to them constantly (and they talk back), they all have names and personalities. Yesterday, Lady (from lady and the tramp) was playing on the slide but then she got sick and Hannah said she already threw up one time so she let her throw up in a bag LOL.

Members online

No members online now.