"Do Not Pet" t-shirts?

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I thought about some kind of badge/shirt/harness for Frodo for quite a while. Then I moved out here and we have service dogs in training that come into our store quite often.

If anything having something on the dogs seem to make MORE people come up and want to read it or chat or try to pet the dog (people are such morons)! Heck people come up to Frodo and I occasionally JUST to ask why he has a muzzle on. It's not a muzzle, it's a Gentle Leader. But if it WAS a muzzle shouldn't that tell you that maybe approaching might not be the best option?

I find it easier to just be aware of our surroundings and tell people he doesn't like to be touched by strangers. It's pretty easy to tell when people are thinking about coming up to pet him, even when they haven't asked.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I thought about some kind of badge/shirt/harness for Frodo for quite a while. Then I moved out here and we have service dogs in training that come into our store quite often.

If anything having something on the dogs seem to make MORE people come up and want to read it or chat or try to pet the dog (people are such morons)! Heck people come up to Frodo and I occasionally JUST to ask why he has a muzzle on. It's not a muzzle, it's a Gentle Leader. But if it WAS a muzzle shouldn't that tell you that maybe approaching might not be the best option?

I find it easier to just be aware of our surroundings and tell people he doesn't like to be touched by strangers. It's pretty easy to tell when people are thinking about coming up to pet him, even when they haven't asked.
Did you see that lady that would NOT stop touching Juno the other day? Thank God I had the squeeze cheese LOL. She asked me if she was a boston terrier... and then after that she was just all.... LET ME LOVE YOUR DOG.

There are many things I suck at, and one of those things is standing up for my dog. I had no idea how to separate myself from her at that point lol. She legitimately thought she was doing me a favor by petting her. She seemed like the kind of person that would ignore a badge, even if it said "I will shred your face with my teeth if you touch me. So don't do it."

It might be wishful thinking but I would hope that something that says "DO NOT PET" would make someone think twice about petting the dog. Or even just think once. Even if it just stops one person? Or makes a person ask if they can pet, instead of just running up like they normally would have? I have high expectations of people!!

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Did you see that lady that would NOT stop touching Juno the other day? Thank God I had the squeeze cheese LOL. She asked me if she was a boston terrier... and then after that she was just all.... LET ME LOVE YOUR DOG.

There are many things I suck at, and one of those things is standing up for my dog. I had no idea how to separate myself from her at that point lol. She legitimately thought she was doing me a favor by petting her. She seemed like the kind of person that would ignore a badge, even if it said "I will shred your face with my teeth if you touch me. So don't do it."

It might be wishful thinking but I would hope that something that says "DO NOT PET" would make someone think twice about petting the dog. Or even just think once. Even if it just stops one person? Or makes a person ask if they can pet, instead of just running up like they normally would have? I have high expectations of people!!
I did see her. She was an odd duck, I was happy when she left. Frodo in his early stages would have absolutely growled at her, if not snapped.

I used to have a really hard time telling people they couldn't touch Frodo, or standing up for him. Not so much anymore.
I'll call him to the side away from them (so I am between them and him), and a lot of people take that as a cue to not pet, if not then "Sorry, he's not always good with strangers" as they start walking up is usually more than enough. Throwing in a minor body block never hurts, and tends to drive the point home.

And even now when he does initiate contact with people (other than like people I know, like at work the other day) I call him away after about 5 seconds and treat him. Then if he wants to go back again then it's his choice, though I generally will continue to treat every once in a while.
Number 1 rule though is absolutely nobody is allowed to even come close to petting him if he is uncomfortable, even if that means I have to be rude. Fortunately for us that is rarely ever now, but a year ago it was everyone, everywhere.

Saeleofu

What about a thunder shirt or anxiety wrap with a patch or iron-on letters? That may actually do more good than just a t-shirt as a sign.

I don't like people putting vests/capes on their aggressive/fearful/whatever dogs. I realize they're not trying to pass the dog off as a service dog, but to the public it looks like a service dog, and if it behaves poorly it puts legitimate service dogs in a bad light. You can say "people will think what they want" all day long, but when it comes down to it, I feel it's irresponsible. You can dress in a police costume every day and say people will think what they want, that still doesn't make it right. Especially when other options, like the anxiety wrap, are probably more useful to your dog anyway.

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
Freckles Designs make some really nice vests. I think "Please Give Me Space" is the default but she can do custom printing as well. She can also print over the back (as opposed to on the sides) for small dogs.

I want to get one for Quinn although I can't think of a phrase that would clarify to not let DOGS get too close. She does love people and I don't mind kids or adults approaching to pet her. I've never had issues with people interrupting while we're training, and she loves kids and I like talking to people, so....

And to no one in particular, I have found that sometimes a very clear "leave it" (even if your dog doesn't know it!) can get the message across to people that you aren't interested in socializing if they aren't being forward enough (or I simply want to be extra clear) to warrant my usual "she's not good with other dogs, please stay back/shorten your leash". There was a new woman at herding the other day with a very excited ACD who was very strong and lunging. I told her that Quinn was reactive, she responded with her dog was great with other animals which made me question her understanding or respect for my situation. I had to pass her to leave so I put myself between the dogs, gave Quinn a fairly loud leave it and walked by with no issues. I think it just let her know that I was definitely NOT interested in trying my luck that day.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
What about a thunder shirt or anxiety wrap with a patch or iron-on letters? That may actually do more good than just a t-shirt as a sign.

I don't like people putting vests/capes on their aggressive/fearful/whatever dogs. I realize they're not trying to pass the dog off as a service dog, but to the public it looks like a service dog, and if it behaves poorly it puts legitimate service dogs in a bad light. You can say "people will think what they want" all day long, but when it comes down to it, I feel it's irresponsible. You can dress in a police costume every day and say people will think what they want, that still doesn't make it right. Especially when other options, like the anxiety wrap, are probably more useful to your dog anyway.
A Tshirt is a far stretch from a vest. In fact a thunder shirt looks more like a vest, IMO, if that is the concern.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Freckles Designs make some really nice vests. I think "Please Give Me Space" is the default but she can do custom printing as well. She can also print over the back (as opposed to on the sides) for small dogs.

I want to get one for Quinn although I can't think of a phrase that would clarify to not let DOGS get too close. She does love people and I don't mind kids or adults approaching to pet her. I've never had issues with people interrupting while we're training, and she loves kids and I like talking to people, so....

And to no one in particular, I have found that sometimes a very clear "leave it" (even if your dog doesn't know it!) can get the message across to people that you aren't interested in socializing if they aren't being forward enough (or I simply want to be extra clear) to warrant my usual "she's not good with other dogs, please stay back/shorten your leash". There was a new woman at herding the other day with a very excited ACD who was very strong and lunging. I told her that Quinn was reactive, she responded with her dog was great with other animals which made me question her understanding or respect for my situation. I had to pass her to leave so I put myself between the dogs, gave Quinn a fairly loud leave it and walked by with no issues. I think it just let her know that I was definitely NOT interested in trying my luck that day.
Ugh, like a month ago at a local training club, this lady let her Welsh Springer come up to Keeva (who was laying down with her back to a wall). I held out my hand and said, "She's not good with other dogs."

"Oh, but he LOVES puppies. See her tail is wagging."

"No, she's going to..." *SNAP LUNGE SNARL SNAP*

:rolleyes:

I TOLD you.

Saeleofu

A Tshirt is a far stretch from a vest. In fact a thunder shirt looks more like a vest, IMO, if that is the concern.
I don't have a problem with t-shirts, and I never said I have a problem with t-shirts. They're fine, but an anxiety wrap may be more beneficial to the dog.

And to no one in particular, I have found that sometimes a very clear "leave it" (even if your dog doesn't know it!) can get the message across
Oh, I tell people "leave it" ALL THE TIME :rofl1:

Members online