Types!

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
do you have a favourite 'type' of dog? based on appearance, use, whatever!

i think this thread goes here? :confused:

ETA: by types i mean things like Lurchers, Bandogges, farm collies, etc etc :)
i know there's a lot i don't know the names of. it seems every region has a type of dog unique to them, using various breeds to obtain the perfect whatever-it-is they need!
or just type in general if you don't have a favourite 'breed'.

Last edited:

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
i am on a sighthound kick lately (thank you to Dekka and SarahHound for fueling this). i have always admired Lurchers of a particular look.

the wispy hair is just so hilarious, i love it

and also these guys are so striking:

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Collie type/Collie family. I know that sounds weird since I have spaniels. I like spaniels quite a bit but really can't see myself with most of them. And paps are the weirdest spaniel anyways.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Mid-sized, easy-to-care-for-coat, all purpose athlete type dogs. Light but not wispy. Generous but not overdone angulation -- balance above all else.

"...power without lumber and raciness without weediness." ;)

I want a dog whose body can support and compliment the type of drive and activity I seek.

I don't know why, but I'm SOOO beyond attracted to this face!

Head shot by ~WelshStump~, on Flickr

Perfect posing stand by ~WelshStump~, on Flickr

I saw a "Japanese" Akita inu in a vehicle in a local parking lot, and really questioned getting one seriously for a short while. I do love this look-

But, in the end I really made the conscious decision that their temperament and character was not suited to what I wished to own in a dog. I admire them for what they are, but I stuck with my original breed decision, one made on temperament over looks, I did still have some control on the looks side, and opted for cropped ears-

Standing by ~WelshStump~, on Flickr

Picklepaige

There really isn't a set look I prefer. I do LOVE the "generic, medium-sized, street mutt" look. A nice, lean, muscular dog is my weakness.

hodesian Ridgebacks, German Shepherds, Huskies, Malamutes, Koolies, Dogo Argentinos, and APBTs are my favorite breeds, looks wise.

I guess what I'm getting at, is I prefer strong, handsome/beautiful dogs, rather than "cute" dogs. But that's subjective in itself, so...I don't know lol

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
I've posted this pic before, but I think it is the easiest way to describe my "type" LOL

Brown, moderate body type, with pointy ears! (All are herding breeds or herding breed mixes as well)

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
I love wiry, scruffy Terriers. Thats my Type when it comes to small dogs.

When it comes to big dogs I like powerful looking dogs. Like some of the molloser breeder, some herders, Pitbulls, Dogo's ect.

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
I've posted this pic before, but I think it is the easiest way to describe my "type" LOL

Brown, moderate body type, with pointy ears! (All are herding breeds or herding breed mixes as well)
i have always loved the build of a Mal.

i think, for whatever reason, i am drawn to dogs with a tuck. is tuck the word for it?
and ears. i like bat ears, and ears that don't know what they want from life. like a Greyhound's ears. alien ear syndrome, they have a mind of their own.

Equinox

Well built, solid herding/protection type dogs. I don't typically go for lighter boned dogs, not because I think it's unattractive (because I don't at all) but because I think they look fragile. Exception to the rule would be the Malinois just because personal experience has embedded that deep, unwavering knowledge that those dogs can take on anything.

I like dogs without any extremely distinguishable features in the sense that they look more "natural". Moderate muzzle length, moderate tuck up, etc.

YOU HAVE A BEAUCERON. Be my friend.

:lol-sign: Sorry, been loving on Beaucerons for several years now - think I've seen you around ProDog. That is a gorgeous dog.

mrose_s

BusterLove
Generally herding breeds. Prefer shortish, managable coat, prick ears, athletic build, moderate size, hard feet and intensity. Quinn is my complete ideal as far as type goes. She's just perfect. Kelpies is another big love for me.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
If we're talking looks...

Lighter boned, athletic, lithe, well proportioned, nice tuck up, erect or semi erect ears (bigger the better), pointy muzzle with tight flews, feathered to lightly feathered coat preferred although I'm beginning to not mind short coats, tricolor, bicolor, or sable, full tail. Longhaired whippets, papillons, border collies, smooth pyr sheps (kept natural), belgians, Ibizans, salukis, etc.

But if we're talking TYPE like as in a group or family of dogs (shepherds, bullies, terriers, spaniels, nordic breeds, etc), it's definitely collies.

SarahHound

i am on a sighthound kick lately (thank you to Dekka and SarahHound for fueling this). i have always admired Lurchers of a particular look.

the wispy hair is just so hilarious, i love it

and also these guys are so striking:

That particular blonde dog was at the same rescue centre one of my previous greyhounds came from :) Not cat friendly though :(

I'm also a tall skinny type.

Feral/wild types. Compact, but with leg and a tuck. Short, thick fur.

Dingo:

Certain herding breeds work, some ACDs (some are getting shorter), Buster isn't too bad (a presumed BC/ACD) as well as some nordic types, some huskies and malamutes, though again, show types are a bit worse in general.

Maxy24

I think I like terriers (big and small), either smooth coat or minor scruffiness (no beards please). But I've never actually owned one so I it's just a hunch from what I've read and seen from others' dogs. I like their enthusiasm for life, confidence, energy and athleticism, rough and tumble play style, alertness (which I didn't know I liked until yesterday), and playfulness.

I don't like frail looking terriers though, a lot of rat terriers on petfinder are too spindly looking, but they might be mixes or just poorly bred. Plus I don't like bat ears on small dogs.

Last edited:

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Are they spaniels? I didn't know that!
Yup. The little red headed step child of the spaniel family but are most closely related to breeds like Cavalier King Charles Spaniels and English Toy Spaniels. The dropped eared variety look a lot more spaniel like.

There's probably some other types (I've always heard spitz) crossed in somewhere.

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
when i initially made a thread, i had certain 'types' in my head. then based on replies i changed what i was looking for :p

originally i meant types that are more like breeds. like Lurchers (best example i could think of) being generally a cross, but a specific type of cross. turned out to be harder to explain than i intended haha.

these are all interesting answers though! i like seeing what groups people end up being drawn to, for whatever reason. :)

Members online

No members online now.