Help Needed -- Night Screaming Puppy

Hello I am new here, I needed to find a forum that could help me with my 5 month old Spoodle. He is a darling most of the time but I am having problems with him at night. If my partner is not home, which is often, my puppy will not settle, he screams for hours and I am becoming so sleep deprived that all I do is scream at him:(

Should I try to ignore his screaming in the night, should I move him out of my bedroom! Help someone, what should I do? How do I stop the screaming so we can both sleep.

Many thanks...WB

Here, moved it to its own thread so people will see it :)

I'm guessing you have a Poodle/Spaniel mix?

First off, you've already figured out that the screaming doesn't help.

Try putting a shirt or something that has your partner's scent on it in with your puppy. Something like a stuffed Kong might help with distraction, too.

Another thing that could help on several different levels is if you set aside some time before bed for playing and doing some fun training. That will give you a tired pup, as well as one that is becoming more bonded to you and less dependent on your partner's presence.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
A tired dog is a good dog ;)

What exercise is he getting? What do you do with the dog? I assume you're out in the day when your partner is home? So he's probably not really used to spending time with you other than to sleep... Maybe you need to spend more one on one time together. Get into a routine so he knows when it's time to sleep.

Dogs are much like toddlers... I don't have kids, but I work with them :p They require all the same basic things - boundaries, nurturing, routine. One of those things will need working on if he's not settling.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your moving my post so someone/everyone could read it, sorry I am a bit challenged when it comes to computers and forums.

My puppy was 7 weeks old when we bought him home, he was fine for a couple of months. Hubby and I work together and I take the puppy to work with me every few days, puppy does not leave my side really. When hubby gets home now, the puppy screams, and shakes like a little leaf. Puppy is very very sensitive I feel. It is my Hubby that the dog wants to be with. I do not care about that, I just want to be able to control the anxiety thing with him. I cannot leave him alone, he jumped out of the car today and I freaked.

OK, I am going to find a training facility in the New Year, I could not do that before cause I have only just got him fully vaccinated. Doggy training things where I live are few and far between, there was nothing on offer in December. Puppy is becoming very anti-social, I do not want him to bark at visitors.

I bought puppy a new bed today, and I will try that on the floor where he likes to eventually sleep. Wish me luck...

I had labradors for 25 years and on the death of my last darling baby, I possibly, stupidly decided to buy another dog. A smaller one with less hair left on the furniture. Yep I got that, smaller, less fur lying around, now I just need to train the dog. So different, Labrador to Spoodle (Poodle, Cocker Spaniel mix). Maybe I need a psychiatrist. I sort of forgot what it was like with a puppy. Silly me, but I love my Spoodle and you may all have to help me with his upbringing LOL.

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
How have you made out the last couple of days?

One thing I learned when we first got our Xena is to let her yell. When it gets really loud, she's about ready to knock it off and it's a last ditch effort.

Good luck and welcome to the forum, too!

ChadRocks

Hi there,

I had the same exact problem you have with my boyfriend's puppy. He had quite the sensitive dog but I did make the effort to play with him especially before sleeping time and just being very nurturing to him, rubbing his tummy, keeping him entertained and most important getting him exhausted before bed time. After a while he got used to my partner being gone most of the time so that was good - I guess I managed to create a bond after all. Patience is key to success.

Good luck! :)

Members online

No members online now.