Arabian horse confucion

I'm confused about some arabian horses.

I'm guessing they are many lines like in the GSD, beacuase I have seen some horses that are really different and still labeled as arabian.

They have some things in commom like the hight carry tail but they are some that have a long and fine bone, long thin necks, a marked stop and big eyes like this one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Halterstandingshotarabianone.jpg

And others are more bulky, heavy and the neck is a lot shorther like this one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Gatsby.jpg

I have seen sometimes horses like the second labed as a "egyptian" or "straight" arabian but in some others they they is just arabian.

I'm confused, I'm guessin the light boned ones are a new line (don't have an idea wish line they are) since they don't look like the ones in antique painting :confused:

DaVinci

All the arabians around here have a fine bone structure in their faces. My girl that I just sold was out of the Kemosabie bloodline. She is beautiful.

Here are a few pictures of her being worked by my son.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
There are many lines to Arabs and I think some regional differences as well. There are also marked differences in looks between stallions and mares.

Of course, as with anything that has a conformational show, there are lines being bred specifically to look pretty, which is a shame. These horses are amazing.

Well,I had,once,the opportunity to ride a grey arabian stallion,bareback and it was the most amazing experience in my life!.When cantering,it seemed like he wasn't touching the ground and he was amazingly confortable!.This is still my dream horse/breed,with a couple of others!!.

BostonBanker

Saje posted a great page. I think almost any breed is going to have some very different lines. A thoroughbred sprinter looks very little like a well-bred distance horse, and some sport throroughbreds are so different looking you'd never guess they were TB. The Arabs are divided into some pretty clear groups.

I've never been a huge Arab fan, as they aren't really suited for the sports I've done, but we had a very well-bred Russian arab at the barn for a while that really appealed to me.

In years past, you could definitely see differences between "Egyptian" bred Arabs and "European" bred Arabs. Much of this had to do with the evolution of the breed and form following function. As the original function is no longer needed the form has changed. Also, so much of the lines are blended now that there isn't much difference. I think what you are seeing has more to do with fad, what is "in style" at the time. The Quarter Horse has gone through similar changes. So much so that solid halter lines have been bred for so much bulk, "pretty faces" and SMALL feet, to the point that many are nevicular (sp?) before the age of 5.

You see this in dogs all the time. What a rottweiler looked like 50 years ago is nothing like what they look like in the ring now. I think this could be said for a lot of breeds.

Thanks everyone ;)

So the thin body type arabians are american show line right?? :confused: since I have seen some pics of european show and they look very diferent.

Saje

Island dweller
No not necessarily. If you look at the link I gave you you'll see some of the different types. Egyptian are the finest boned. You can see some of them here http://www.pyramidsociety.org/Sales/forsale.htm#FLORIDA
at that link is also information about the pyramid society that promotes straight Egyptian horses

go to the link i posted earlier if you want to see the different types but keep in mind that an arabian doesn't have to fall into one category. An egyptian can be bred to a russian and it will still be a purebred arabian. After they are crossed like that they usually fall into the 'domestic' category quite quickly.

Members online

No members online now.