Veggies in a Raw Diet?

IcyHound

I don't feed it and don't feel they need it.

All of my dogs and cats leave the stomachs and intestines of animals they catch. I just cleaned mouse guts off my floor when I came home from work this morning from the cats. Rest of the mouse was gone.

Dekka

Just try me..
All my cats have left stomachs. My dogs love stomachs from herbivours only. Strangly if they catch a rat they aren't as interested in its intestines (compared to rabbits)

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I feed Bamm some veggies, mainly carrots as he loves those. I don't see anything wrong with feeding veggies as long as you don't overdo it. Bamm seems to digest them for the most part fine. With carrots and Pumpkin he'll have a little bit of orange in his poo, but not much. Someone mentioned in this thread that avocado is bad. The flesh is fine though right? I heard that you should just not let them eat the skin or pit, but that the flesh can actually be pretty good for them. Also, I'm a little confused on the whole garlic thing. I hear some sources say it's bad and some say it's good... can someone please give me a little more info on garlic? Bamm doesn't get much garlic... occasionally when I make stuff like liver treats the recipe will call for a little bit of garlic...

mrose_s

BusterLove
I still feed Buster vegies here and there, I don't know if he NEEDS it or not but its good for my peice of mind, especially considering how all 4 of our dogs graze on grass when given the chance.

Gypsydals

I do feed veggies to the boys. I do it mainly for the water content. Oddly enough Ivan seems to prefer the veggies over the meat.:confused: Weird I know. But he will pull out the meat from his dish, lay it on the floor of his crate, eat his veggies first THEN eat his meat.

This person on another forum keeps arguing with me on this. She stated that dogs NEED veggies in their diet for 10-15% of wolves and wild dogs diet is veggies. I told her I disagree and that I don't feel that veggies are nessecery in a proper diet of RMB and occasional organ meat during the week. I'm not a mastermind on the subject, but I do think I know a bit from researching for so long.

I think the only thing that brings wolves and wild dogs to eat vegtable matter in the wild is lack of a prey source. Our pets of course wont be going through times where prey is scarse(sp?) so veggies don't really serve a purpose. But I'm still learning, so I might be wrong..

I'm just curious as to what you guys think, and why?
I think you're right. Carnivores do not need veggies or grain matter as part of their diet. The staple diet for carnivores is one of meat, fat, blood and bone. They may eat whatever, but that doesn't mean they need it as part of their diet.

Bunny82

I am still learning about raw myself so if any of this is wrong would the experienced raw feeders please correct me? From my understanding the purpose of adding veggies is to add a source of fiber to the dogs diet. Whether they are necessary or not seems to be debated in circles depending on if the BARF diet or other style of raw feeding is followed. The general consensus seems to be however that veggies are a better source of fiber than grains.

ETA: should be fiber and carbs sorry.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.