Xylitol in dental product

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I was going through my dog bin yesterday and found a sample of CET Aquadent that I have - the stuff you're supposed to add to their water to prevent plaque and whatnot. Was skimming the back of it and noticed that it contains xylitol, the sweetener that is poisonous to dogs.

What gives? I'm going to assume that if used "properly," the amount of xylitol is probably harmless.... but what if it's not used properly, or if some dogs are more sensitive to it than others, or what affect would it have on a dog consuming it long-term.... basically I think it's an unnecessary risk for them to add it.

Just kind of blew my mind because this is a trusted brand sold in veterinary clinics. Always check your ingredients I guess.... this is not the only brand that makes the water additive stuff, so I'll definitely be using a different brand if I decide to try it. For what it's worth, as far as I can tell this is the only product they put it in - not in their toothpastes.

Saeleofu

We used to carry this until someone noticed that, and we pulled it from the shelves. It MAY be safe at the levels it has, but I personally wouldn't take any chances.

JacksonsMom

Yeah, I find that soooo dumb. I love CET too but would never use or suggest their water additive. I do use their toothpaste (well, not ME, but my dog). lol.

The only water additive that has been approved by the VOHC and proven through clinical trials, etc, is called HealthyMouth. It's pricey, but they also have a gel, and I have it and it seems to be helping keep up with Jackson's teeth. I only use it once a week in conjunction with brushing at least 5x a week.

I remember some time ago seeing that ingredient in a pet dental product and about had a heart attack. I really don't buy them though, bought "Petzlife" once a few years ago to help with Jin's teeth (it did work, yes, but he still ended up abscessing a tooth and had a vet cleaning with extraction anyway). I couldn't believe when I saw a blog post on Dogster recently where they were pointed towards the toxic ingredient by someone and did an entire write up about it. IMO, these products needed to be pulled from shelves a long time ago, even if the amount of the artificial sweetener could be otherwise considered "safe when used as directed", I wouldn't trust it.

Members online

No members online now.