Second dog

JR0579

German Shepherds Rock
I am looking to add another member to my pack. I looked at Boxers and Dobes but my wife is sooo scared of both. So we settled on another GSD. I already have a 7-month old neutered male GSD [ u guys already know hat :) ]

I spoke to breeder who has a 5-month old GSD male. She says he's of mixed German and American lines [ straight back ] What do u guys think ?

Thanks

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
Hm... is Roy house trained? Is he well-behaved? Personally, I would wait until my 1st GSD is I guess you could say "set".

As in perfectly house trained, he knew all his obedience training VERY well, and he was slightly more mature.

But on the flip side, if he is most of those things, a nice pup pal would be great. :)

Zoom

Twin 2.0
She's scared of Dobes but not GSD's? Huh.

Follow the rest of the puppy-picking guidelines, make sure that Roy is at a position to accept another dog into the house and good luck! One thing I've been told about German line GSD's is that some of them tend to be "harder" and require a firmer hand than the American lines.

JR0579

German Shepherds Rock
Roy knows his commands, house-broken and crate-trained but he's sometimes naughty :) as in doing what he knows he isn't supposed to be doing. Like poking his nose where it's not supposed to be. When you say "knows all his obedience training VERY well " what do you mean by that ?

Thanks

JR0579

German Shepherds Rock
Zoom said:
She's scared of Dobes but not GSD's? Huh.

Follow the rest of the puppy-picking guidelines, make sure that Roy is at a position to accept another dog into the house and good luck! One thing I've been told about German line GSD's is that some of them tend to be "harder" and require a firmer hand than the American lines.

Actually I've heard the opposite. I have also heard that American lines tend to be of less patience and more short-tempered than the German lines.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
There could be an argument made for German stability vs. American "watering-down". All I know is that the military uses mostly German lines, and there are so many handlers who have chunks missing because they didn't take a firm enough hand with the dogs. My GM just spent 20 years training for the largest kennel in the world, which also happens to be a military establishment. Most of the 700+ dogs were GSD's. I'm getting most of my info from conversations with her.

Mind I'm not trying to start an argument here; I don't have much first hand experience and like to learn as much as I can. :D

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
JoyfulRoy said:
Roy knows his commands, house-broken and crate-trained but he's sometimes naughty :) as in doing what he knows he isn't supposed to be doing. Like poking his nose where it's not supposed to be. When you say "knows all his obedience training VERY well " what do you mean by that ?

Thanks
Scratch that.

Well, obedience training can be something you do with both dogs so I mean if he's not perfect with it then it's OK.

If you've got the money, you all-- including Roy is ready, then go for it! :)

I'd have Roy and the new dog meet on neutral territory though.

JR0579

German Shepherds Rock
Zoom said:
There could be an argument made for German stability vs. American "watering-down". All I know is that the military uses mostly German lines, and there are so many handlers who have chunks missing because they didn't take a firm enough hand with the dogs. My GM just spent 20 years training for the largest kennel in the world, which also happens to be a military establishment. Most of the 700+ dogs were GSD's. I'm getting most of my info from conversations with her.

Mind I'm not trying to start an argument here; I don't have much first hand experience and like to learn as much as I can. :D
Oh I am sorry ... I didn't mean to start an argument either. I was just getting opinions ... that's all. I have never had an American line .... that's why I posted in the first place

Y

yuckaduck

German lines tend to be more working lines and sometimes can come of as harder because they sometimes have more prey drive. American I find to be more geared towards show lines. I personally have checked out the bloodlines of all the dogs we bought for our breeding program and made sure all are German. I want the stronger prey drive.

As far as adding another dog if you are ready to have two babies in the house then go for it. Remember at 7 months Roy has not gone throught the phase where he will drop out his brain and forget everything he ever knew. THe terrible twos stage. Two dogs are a lot of responsiblity and alot of work but they are a joy to have.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
I would wait. At 7 months, Roy is only just entering his "teenage" period. Not to scare you, but over the next few months, he will basically become a moron. He'll stop listening to your commands as well, will possibly become more active/destructive, make you repeat yourself, and just plain drive you crazy. Just like Yuck said earlier, he'll lose his brain. If it's any indication of how trying this period is, most dogs surrendered to the Humane Society are between 8 months-18 months of age-the height of the "teenage" phase.

Until your dog outgrows this stage, I wouldn't get another dog, especially one who's almost about to enter the same life phase. It's highly possible that they could feed off each other's misbehavior, just like naughty children, and you could end up with a circus on your hands.

Y

yuckaduck

Gempress said:
I would wait. At 7 months, Roy is only just entering his "teenage" period. Not to scare you, but over the next few months, he will basically become a moron. He'll stop listening to your commands as well, will possibly become more active/destructive, make you repeat yourself, and just plain drive you crazy. Just like Yuck said earlier, he'll lose his brain. If it's any indication of how trying this period is, most dogs surrendered to the Humane Society are between 8 months-18 months of age-the height of the "teenage" phase.

Until your dog outgrows this stage, I wouldn't get another dog, especially one who's almost about to enter the same life phase. It's highly possible that they could feed off each other's misbehavior, just like naughty children, and you could end up with a circus on your hands.

Very well put and it is so true. Storm and Yukon both in that phase right now. Most of the time they are pretty good but when one is brainless the others seem to follow suit.

Y

yuckaduck

BigDog2191 said:
Rocky's in that phase right now and I have to EXTREME training with him everyday.
Yup and just keep at it and never give up and he will be the best dog ever when he comes out of it. THe breeder that mentors me, says that a gsd does not actually get their full brain until they are 2 years old. So imagine that, and how smart they must be then.

JR0579

German Shepherds Rock
Thanks guys ... I'll wait then ...
Roy is driving my wife crazy and she is driving me even crazier because Roy is "your dog" :)

Katja

JoyfulRoy said:
I am looking to add another member to my pack. I looked at Boxers and Dobes but my wife is sooo scared of both. So we settled on another GSD. I already have a 7-month old neutered male GSD [ u guys already know hat :) ]

I spoke to breeder who has a 5-month old GSD male. She says he's of mixed German and American lines [ straight back ] What do u guys think ?

Thanks
Hi!

I have 2 boys myself (belgian shepherds - terv and malinois) and was kind of worried how this two would get allong.. Raider (terv) was more than 2 and half years old and Blueberry (malinois) was 10 months. Both are males so ofcourse you start thinking what if this 2 dont like eachother and so on.

I went to Netherlands to see Blueberry a month before picking him up just to see how this 2 would react to eachother. It was unbelivable, not a smallest bit of agression and friends from begining. We did couple test like driving arround with both of them in back of the car to see how they react to eachother.. no problems at all.

This pic was taken when i got home.. Raider somehow couldn´t leave Blueberry alone.. even when sleeping one paw always touching him like to be sure he is for real.

About lines I don´t know because I don´t know GSD so well.. maybe asking someone who knows them little more. Straight back usually means they are from working lines but I don´t see problem in that. If breeder did all in his power this dog is totaly normal and you will have 2 great pets who will totaly love eachother. One other think you have to think about is that 2 dogs are more work no mather how some people say the more you have easier it gets..

Good luck, Katja

Y

yuckaduck

THe more you have the more it costs to up keep them. If you have a fenced yard it is easier to exercise two because they play together and tucker each other out. However if you are walking them it is sometimes harder to control more than one. I only take one at a time out of the fenced in area, in the fenced yard Hope and Yukon go out together.

I was not saying don't get another dog. I was simply saying make sure you know what you are getting into. Also sometimes espically with males if they are still in the playing puppy stage they accept a new frined easier then when they are older. So it might be easier to introduce now rather then later. Roy maybe a lot more territorial later even if he is neutered.

sheps4me

JoyfulRoy said:
Thanks guys ... I'll wait then ...
Roy is driving my wife crazy and she is driving me even crazier because Roy is "your dog" :)
Very wise! Two dogs are a lot of work, but much more so when they're close in age. Rather than having two dogs, it's really one dog times two since they should each have their own training and bonding time.
Here's a great link that illustrates the different types and lines of shepherds if you decide to take the leap in the future :)

http://www.shawlein.com/The_Standard/13_Breed_Type/Breed_Types.html

Also when you do take the leap try to find a female.You will have better chances of them getting along.I am not saying that 2 males cant work just that its a little easier with a male and a female.Good luck and have fun when the time seems best.

Members online