Just for fun breed guesses

Dagwall

I did this once before on the other dog forum but with a lot of suggestions of what I THINK he might be. Be fun to try again with a bunch of new people and no influence from my opinion yet.

Some pictures from our recent beach trip

He's about 5.5 years old and around 47#. I can get measurements if I remember tonight. Single coat, 1.5-2 inches in the longest areas, webbed toes.

He loves everyone, never met a stranger just future friends. Gets along with most dogs, is a bit too rough and vocal for some dogs though. He'll mostly just ignore small dogs, greet politely but knows he can't play rough with them so doesn't try to play at all. Goes to doggie daycare once, sometimes twice, a week and does great.

Huge snuggler, velcro but not needy, on the higher end of moderate energy. Basically on an average day he gets walked 2-3 miles a day and maybe 10-15 minutes of play/training and 1-2 days at daycare. He CAN go all day but doesn't have to.

Pretty decent prey drive, wants to chase squirrels and deer, HAS to try and chase chipmunks and rabbits. Neighborhood cats are starting to approach the chipmunk/rabbit level of MUST try and chase.

He LOVES doing nosework and is pretty good at it.

ETA: Forgot to add he's extremely food motivated. Will work his butt off for kibble let alone high value treats. Teaching him something new is mostly a matter of getting him to understand what it is I want him to do and he's a pretty good problem solver. Pretty biddable in general as well.

Example of his idea of fun play, at least 90% of the vocalization is from him. This is also after about four days of this 1 year old foster staying with us and wanting to play constantly if they were together. My boy was tired haha.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPGRZlzccKw

He'll always be my snugly brindle mutt but it's fun to get guesses. I'm sure he is the result of at least a couple generations of mutts.

Last edited:

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
You know, what I mostly see is Labrador. Brindle isn't impossible in labs, and throw in a little bit of plott or cur dog and there you have it. I can see some hound possibly in his head, maybe catahoula, but I'd expect a 'houla/lab cross to be bigger.

He's very cute! I would never have guessed he was five years old!

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
If I were to guess a multi-gen mix, I'd say LabxACDxBoxer and/or Pittie, maybe with a smidge of hound in there somewhere. I always forget about Curs, but they aren't very common in my area. If they are in yours, that's always a possibility.

Dagwall

Yeah based off his happy go lucky, goofy attitude towards everything and body type I'm pretty sure there is a good bit of lab in there. It's the rest that's a mystery. He's such a good boy and I really lucked out as a first time dog owner.

When I try and describe him to people and don't have pictures available I say he looks like a small brindle lab.

BostonBanker

I want to guess lab x mountain cut. Somewhat reminds me of Meg.
Yeah, the face is a little different, and obviously Meg has a docked tail, but the body and especially the hind-end is really, really similar to her.

Is he from VA originally? I'd definitely think some sort of Cur would be likely if so.

Dagwall

Yeah, the face is a little different, and obviously Meg has a docked tail, but the body and especially the hind-end is really, really similar to her.

Is he from VA originally? I'd definitely think some sort of Cur would be likely if so.
No clue where he was born but he was surrendered to the pound in Caroline county when he was about one year old. That's just north of Richmond. Then FOHA pulled him and he spent 10 months there before I came along looking for a medium sized, short coated, young adult with moderate energy level. His brindle pulled me in and his personality instantly won me over.

ETA: Two mentions of a dog named Meg... Pictures/links please? I wanna see.

BostonBanker

Meg is my Mountain Cur. She's from West Virginia originally. Pretty much the same acquisition story as yours, except I hated the brindle at first! She was just too sweet to not keep, though.

Dagwall

Haha, he was sweet as could be the weekend we met him and applied to adopted him. The next weekend when we came to pick him up he showed us his mouthy side. Took about 8 weeks to get the mouthiness under control... My brother was the weak link in the consistency of the "ouch!" and ignore program.

Dagwall

Mountain cur maybe with some Shepard/herder in there.
Shepherd? Really? I can honestly say I've never heard anyone guess that. Hadn't really heard mountain cur before either but that at least I can see. Don't really see shepherd myself.

Pops2

Shepherd? Really? I can honestly say I've never heard anyone guess that. Hadn't really heard mountain cur before either but that at least I can see. Don't really see shepherd myself.
Can't put my finger on it, but in the pics there are things that scream herder, which isn't unheard of even in a pure cur dog.

Dagwall

Oh I got some measurements last night after measuring my new car for a nice seat cover. He's about 19-20 inches at the shoulder. He was too interested in the tape measurer for me to get an exact measure haha.

Members online

No members online now.