Updated pics of riley and got some questions!!

tdog7879

Riley is doing great!!! He did get worms again (previous thread ..thanks for the help) but this time it was round worms,and he did swallow a nice sized rock:yikes: but passed it out and got treated for the round worms. Anyways we are seeing Riley humping objects..toy box, pillows ,blankets. Is this normal? should we be concern? I have read online that the aussie bread does have as much desire as other breeds when it come to sexual activity. Is this true? and should we think about getting him neutered? I wasnt planing on it but if he starts to peeing on everything or trying to get out of the house then i might ,although he is not doing any of these thing right now. Please correct me if im wrong on that topic above^^^^^ Any suggestion thoughts opinions will be greatly appreachiated!!!!! Thankyou

tdog7879

One more question... my vet asked if we wanted to get Riley Lyme diease shot its in a series of 2 different shots I never was aware of this shot???? Any thoughts?

Thanks

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I don't know, don't care - I just want zee puppeh!!!!!!!!!!!

Now please.

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
He is CUTE! I would just redirect him when he humps. Call him over and ask for an acceptable behaviour, click and treat.

I would wait until he is at least 2 before neutering him.

tdog7879

He is CUTE! I would just redirect him when he humps. Call him over and ask for an acceptable behaviour, click and treat.

I would wait until he is at least 2 before neutering him.
Why 2 years? sorry im kinda new to this Allthough i have always had a dog im trying to do things the right way with Riley!!!

Zoom

Twin 2.0
2 years is when dogs reach mental and physical maturity; it's usually pretty beneficial to allow that, unless they're being such pests by 8 months that it's for everyone's sanity. :rofl1: Puppydog's advice is good!

He's looking good! How are his eyes and hearing doing? How old is he now? I'd expect to start seeing more coat soon and his ears are HUGE! LOL!

Maxy24

He is beautiful!

As far as neutering, that's up to you. It might help the humping it might not, some dogs stop as soon as they are neutered and plenty of neutered dogs hump too so I would not neuter if that was your only reason.

As far as age, again it's up to you. If you are completely confident he will not impregnate another dog (you will go the extra mile to ensure this) then I do think it is healthiest to wait until maturity (about 2 years old) to neuter. That way the body gets to make of use of all the right hormones while it is growing. This allows his body to fully mature as it is meant to and prevents some health problems. Fixing him before he gets more elderly prevents other illnesses. Marking in the house is not as common in intact dog as it would be in cats (in cats it's almost a guarantee) so I would not really expect it just because the dog is intact. If he starts treat him like a housebreaking puppy and start right away so a habit does not form.

Humping is normal but should be discouraged as I've heard dogs can hurt themselves (can't get "it" back in). I agree with redirecting him when or when he looks like he might hump. If he never gets to do it (you always stop him almost immediately) he will find it less enjoyable.

I would not personally get the lyme shot for my dog unless I hiked all the time in an area full of ticks and had a dog with a coat that made it difficult to find ticks. So long as you give him a really good check after going into a field or in the woods you should be pretty safe. I would not risk the vaccine (but I m not a huge fan of vaccines in the first place).

tdog7879

2 years is when dogs reach mental and physical maturity; it's usually pretty beneficial to allow that, unless they're being such pests by 8 months that it's for everyone's sanity. :rofl1: Puppydog's advice is good!

He's looking good! How are his eyes and hearing doing? How old is he now? I'd expect to start seeing more coat soon and his ears are HUGE! LOL!
Thanks for the response! I was wating to here from you!!! Everything seems good! His hearing is very responsive!!!! And he is always chasing after little bugs all the time! So i guess his eyes are ok? Him and my son are always playing together!!! So what do you mean by seeing more coat? He is starting to get his adult hair near his tail and im seeing a little bit of brown color in some spots. By the way Riley was born on May 5 2009. So almost 4 months! And yes he does have some big Ears!!!!

tdog7879

He is beautiful!

As far as neutering, that's up to you. It might help the humping it might not, some dogs stop as soon as they are neutered and plenty of neutered dogs hump too so I would not neuter if that was your only reason.

As far as age, again it's up to you. If you are completely confident he will not impregnate another dog (you will go the extra mile to ensure this) then I do think it is healthiest to wait until maturity (about 2 years old) to neuter. That way the body gets to make of use of all the right hormones while it is growing. This allows his body to fully mature as it is meant to and prevents some health problems. Fixing him before he gets more elderly prevents other illnesses. Marking in the house is not as common in intact dog as it would be in cats (in cats it's almost a guarantee) so I would not really expect it just because the dog is intact. If he starts treat him like a housebreaking puppy and start right away so a habit does not form.

Humping is normal but should be discouraged as I've heard dogs can hurt themselves (can't get "it" back in). I agree with redirecting him when or when he looks like he might hump. If he never gets to do it (you always stop him almost immediately) he will find it less enjoyable.

I would not personally get the lyme shot for my dog unless I hiked all the time in an area full of ticks and had a dog with a coat that made it difficult to find ticks. So long as you give him a really good check after going into a field or in the woods you should be pretty safe. I would not risk the vaccine (but I m not a huge fan of vaccines in the first place).
Thanks for all of the good information!! We are going to work on the hump thing! LOL...Also the whole Lyme shot ...I was a little wery of this because we live in the city (va beach) but the vet was saying there was a high case of ticks in this area???? But we always check him after his walks and playtime.

tdog7879

So if riley was your dog ....would you get him neutered????? What would be the reason of doing this??? .....Sorry just looking for some good opinions!! and advise.. Like i said before im trying to do this right..

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
Good to hear :) As for neutering, I wouldn't get him fixed just because of humping. With male dogs in particular, the testosterone usually helps them fill out a bit more and harden their bones(I think) so the longer you can push it back, the better. If he starts spraying or becoming aggressive about humping then you may want to consider having him fixed sooner rather than later.

My Izzy was fixed around 4 months because we had a contract from her rescue but if we could have pushed it back we would have. Take advantage of your time :)

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I have had intact males most of my life that never peed all over everything. THey knew where to go and that is just training.

I have the lyme disease vaccine for my dogs. I have chronic lyme disease myself and that is why. I never want anything to go through what i am going through. I have heard that they are more protective than they were in the past.

tdog7879

I have had intact males most of my life that never peed all over everything. THey knew where to go and that is just training.

I have the lyme disease vaccine for my dogs. I have chronic lyme disease myself and that is why. I never want anything to go through what i am going through. I have heard that they are more protective than they were in the past.
Thanks for the tip! Riley is doing good with his potty training. We put a string with some bells tied to the end of the string on put it on the back door and he hits the bells with his nose to lets us no he needs to go outside!! He still has a pee accident every now and then but it is getting better with his age at which i hope it continues!!!!

Members online

No members online now.