question on becoming a breeder

azcowgirl

well i know i will get alot of i shouldnts. but well when i get older i want to become a breeder for either alaskan malamutes or german shepherds. i have experiance with breeding dogs already. well i wanted to know if any breeders can give me some more advice. this isnt just for money either. ive always loved animals and i would love to become a dog breeder.

R

RedyreRottweilers

Becoming a dog breeder is the pot of gold at the end of the responsible dog owner rainbow.

In order to do this responsibly, you must choose a breed, and dedicate your life to it.

You must educate yourself, get active in the National Club, buy the best dogs you can, compete with and title them, and by then you might have the skill to evaluate that dog to decide if it is worthy of being bred.

If you are smart, you will get good mentors who have experience and who will guide you.

Breeding dogs should always and ONLY be the pursuit of EXCELLENCE.

It can be so rewarding.

It can be so heartbreaking.

Along with new life, comes death. Death is always looking over your shoulder when you are breeding dogs. Puppies die. Bitches die. Fact of life.

That does not erase the rewarding aspects of it, but it is always something to consider.

Best of luck on your journey. There will be many twists and turns in the road. A good mentor can help you choose the right way.

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
Red said what needed to be said.

Becoming a breeder should also be of you making a "name for yourself" in the show scene as well.

Usually good breeders need NO advertisements..

Our Sheltie breeders didn't advertise at all other then on their kennel website.

Riots breeder didn't advertise - other then on her kennel website saying that she has had a litter and pictures of them :)

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
My plans are to get a reserved kennel name within the next two year and start showin my own dogs and client's dogs (If I can get them) under it. Then in 5 or more years start a breeding program for beagles and posibly dobes.

bubbatd

Redy .. that was a good post... and I agree. Luckily Azcow is only 15 and has many years ahead when she can pursue her dream. In the next 15 to 20 years , between college and possibly marriage and family, she should decide which breed she wants to excel in .... Attend shows and buy a show quality or at least breed accepted female. After doing all testing after 2 yrs old ( $600 (?)with hopefully titles along the way ) ... she hopefully will be able to find a Sire that will match her wishes. This should only have cost her about $4000 ...Depending on the cost of her pup. The cost of building a whelping pen can be done for under $300 ... She can be safe in figuring only $200 per pup after whelping for shots etc.... baring any complications. With a good following of puppy wanters, there's no need for adverstising. AKC registration for the littler by then should only be about $50. So really, being a breeder is fun and expensive... only thing she needs is good stock, many bucks and 8 to 10 weeks of TLC ...... at at least 8 hours a day.

R

RedyreRottweilers

OMG BubbaT, I must have spend 4K in the first 6 months I was showing Penny....

LOL

stevinski

Int CH - $uperBitch
hey snap!!!
i want to be a breeder to!
but i've already got my breed and i want to get into shelties!
with titles in conformation, agility, obediance, S&r, mainly and i want to do some tracking to lol!
but i want to get my first male in 2 years, well thts wen i'll pik a kennel lol

iheartsammy

ME+DOGS=CRAZY
I want to breed also, I was thinking Dals, but you never know I might just fall in love qwith a different breed....:)..But if I don't breed I'll definatly own a pet rescue!

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
LOL Grammy!

Its true - dogs are SO expensive to show!

I know each show Riot attends it costs me around $120 PLUS gas money to get there. I'm lucky - the Gronendael breeder that I show with sometimes handles Riot for me in the ring for free! I'm SOO greatful to her - I have heard of some of the professional "handler" prices and they are crazy!

Tip - handle your own dog in the shows lmao! MUCH cheaper unless you can find someone whos free lol

I too want to breed. I am going to breed west german working line GSD's. I want to do Schutzhund and S&R with them as well and competition obedience and tracking (aside from schutzhund), I also want to supply police service dogs to K9 units around the world (OK, I'm getting a little ahead of myself but there is nothing wrong with having goals). I want my dogs to be known around the world. :D

bubbatd

Want to have a litter and spend 8 hours a day taking care of pups for 8 to 12 weeks ??? Go to the HS or a rescue and foster a preggie Mom for them.

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
Thats actually a really really good idea Grammy!!

Fostering a pregnant bitch will DEFINATELY let you know things first hand.

I was lucky enough to be able to take care of Riots brothers and sisters when they were around 7 weeks old while the breeder was up in a show in the area :)
Its a LOT of work!!

azcowgirl

it is hard work i know that for sure. i bred my chihuahua a year back and she had i think 5 puppies i dont remember. but they were so cute and i didnt mind taking care of them when she had to take a break

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater
a few puppies can be a breeze. Try 15 in one litter! OMG Makes it to where you never want to have another litter again!:eek:
I love puppies and rasing them for the most part but the work it entails is more than I bargain for sometimes.:D
I think its a good idea to volunteer at a shelter.

Mach1girl

bubbatd said:
Want to have a litter and spend 8 hours a day taking care of pups for 8 to 12 weeks ??? Go to the HS or a rescue and foster a preggie Mom for them.
Excellent idea.

Also, think about what will happen if you have any problem dogs, how many you may end up having to keep, how much work, how much pity you have on them, and how it would break your heart day after day when you look at them!Think of how much money it costs, mutt or no mutt, from the pregnancy to the well checks, shots, vet emergencys~AND if you have any problem puppies.Think about how attached you get to them and dont want to part with them. Think about the smell, and puppie sstink! Think about the bleachin floors 5 times a day, the puppy or two that may die the first day or two, getting up every few minutes to check on them cuz you heard a squeal all night long, the newspaper stand you have to rob because buying 40 a day is breaking you, the bleaching your shoes, feeding the mother, making sure they are not dehydrated, barking and crying all day and night, the problems that may arise in delivery, the delivery starting at 1am and lasting till 7am, the mom screaming out in pain, I could go on and on. Fact is, if shes got it in the back of her mind, she is gonna do it. All we can do is say "I told you so" aftre it is all over and she understands better.

I know the op says she is not no way, but there is just a certain tone there, in between the lines, I can see it.

Either way, I strongly suggest NO from experience.

And genuinely wish you the best of luck on your decision.

I tried!

Mach1girl

[/IMG]Thank you very much!

[/IMG]<Sometimes I just feel the emotions all over again...........and wanna do this to someone!

[/IMG]<Chocy says hi!

bubbatd

Mach ... as you know it's alot of work and emotion....A good breeder doesn't make much $$ , so anyone should first experience the work and possible heartbreak involved. Sure ... pregnancy is easy ... whelping could go smoothly... but it's the 8 weeks plus of solicizing that rescue can't do properly without help.!! A HS whelp may place 1/2 of the pups...under foster care, ALL would be placed. Unless anyone is a true breeder who cares, they have no idea how important from whelp to placing is !

Members online

No members online now.