dobermans?

J

jake_toga'smom

im sorry about these threads! me and my boyfriend want to adopt a dobbie we dont know there temperment because our neighbor told use that dobbie's bite alot! i dot really believe her cause she hates dogs and has never owned one before! hope i can get some replies!
lindsey

Doberman's are excellent dogs if properly trained. There are no other breeds more loyal to their family. Remember that doberman's crave attention and excercise!

We used to own a doberman and he never, ever bit. You just need some firm, positive training and he'll turn out great.

What the lady told you is a stereotypical comment. Just like the comments on pitbulls, etc. Don't believe anything she says, these dogs are awesome dogs!

Hope you decide on getting one!

Roxy's CD

ANY dog can bite. Doberman's, rotts, pitts etc. are just known for having, let's say more of an aggressive or dominant personality.. With proper training and care they're just as good a family pet as any other breed :) My personal fave.

J

jake_toga'smom

ok i knew she was lying! ok well we will adopt one...maybe on july? hopefully we are completely broke! so we may not adopt....i dont think pitbulls are dangerous! but yes i does depend on the training! we used to have one that got hit by a car...

D

Dobiegurl

Roxy's CD said:
ANY dog can bite. Doberman's, rotts, pitts etc. are just known for having, let's say more of an aggressive or dominant personality.. With proper training and care they're just as good a family pet as any other breed :) My personal fave.

If it has teeth it CAN bite, thats my motto. Dobermans are no more or less dangerous than any dog of a larger size. Dobes that bite and are agressive are a product of bad breeding.

doberkim

Naturally Natural
Aside from what other people mentioned, I would strongly suggest before you get a doberman, to spend time with them. Go to shows and talk to owners. talk to a rescue and volunteer your time with them and learn what dobes are like - they are VERY different in some ways that may "typical" breeds - and many can be very velcro, etc and some people find that annoying .

If you don't know the temperament, I would check more out before I got a dog of a certain breed like the dobe.

B

borgorn

I have had 3 dobermans and am convinced that they are great family dogs and loyal companions. My next dog I get I want a red dobe.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
I find that dobermans are a great person dog while rotties are a great family dog.

Dobermans are a one person dog IMO. They have to be treated right and yuo have to know what you have at the end of your leash.

For your first dobe I would suggest a breeder so you know what the back ground of the dog is. If you have no experiance with larger breeds like the dobe it can be disastoris if the rescue has issues you cant handle. At least with a breeder you know what the lines and temperments are.

I have nothing against rescues I just feal with breeds like a dobe i shouldnt be your first dog of that breed.

Just MHO

B

borgorn

jake_toga'smom said:
im sorry about these threads! me and my boyfriend want to adopt a dobbie we dont know there temperment because our neighbor told use that dobbie's bite alot! i dot really believe her cause she hates dogs and has never owned one before! hope i can get some replies!
lindsey
Go get a doberman. You won't be disapointed. You will notice alot of them are big babies. People say to me" You have a doberman, oh they turn on you." And I say "Really, Did you ever have one?" And the say No. I've had 3 and they are kind loving dogs.

doberkim

Naturally Natural
Jenn, I really don't think since you haven't owned dobe rescues or worked with them, that you have any idea really what owning one is like. They are no worse and no better than a breeder dog - getting a puppy is certainly no guarantee how it will turn out, ESPECIALLY considering what hellions doberman puppies can be to raise, how many of them end up in rescue (yes, even from so called "good" breeders) -

getting an adult rescue is often the PERFECT situation for many people to find out what the breed is like. adult dobermans can be temperament tested and you KNOW what you are getting. the dog wont end up dog aggressive, wont end up eating the cat, wont end up being afraid of car rides - if it isnt already! you get an adult dog, you get a dog that you can evaluate and figure out what you are getting in many situations. with puppies, sometimes you can do your best to raise them, but it won't change things (like dog aggression, fearful personalities, etc).

ive adopted 3 adult dogs (2 dobermans) and one younger doberman (a total of 3 dobes) - and each one was exactly what they were when i looked at them. i could see their issues, see where they needed work, see what was perfect - to the extent that one can ever know these things (some things about a dog you can NEVER know).

i think LESS dogs would end up in shelters if instead of being so enamoured with puppies, people made the right decision and used their heads instead of just their hearts, and adopted an adult dog when it was better suited to their life. assuming all adult rescues that get adopted have issues is doing a big disservice to doberman rescue.

canadianmandy

Certified Animallover!
doberkim said:
Jenn, I really don't think since you haven't owned dobe rescues or worked with them, that you have any idea really what owning one is like. They are no worse and no better than a breeder dog - getting a puppy is certainly no guarantee how it will turn out, ESPECIALLY considering what hellions doberman puppies can be to raise, how many of them end up in rescue (yes, even from so called "good" breeders) -
Actually I think she does own a dobe lol If you read her thread

"Is your "heart breed" what you thought it would be?"

she says she does... besides there is one in her siggy!!!!

L

LabBreeder

I think kids bite more than dogs! :) LOL
Well, maybe it's an even match.

j/k ya'll...I don't know about owning dobes.
My dad has an aging rottie, mastiff/mix and a chow/lab mix. One is to arthritic to care about biting (is on meds), one (rot) is old and doesn't care except to bark a little and the other is (I think) less than a year old. I just know that Harley and Buster are great "big breed" dogs. I haven't met Cocoa yet.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
canadianmandy said:
Actually I think she does own a dobe lol If you read her thread

"Is your "heart breed" what you thought it would be?"

she says she does... besides there is one in her siggy!!!!
I think Doberkim was referring to rescued Dobermans, not from a breeder.

I have to echo that... I do not have tons of experience with Dobes, but I have known a few very well in my life, and they were amazing dogs! Definitely loyal to their family & friends of their family, active, and very intelligent. Just like any breed of dog, individuals can be more or less protective/dominant/difficult to handle. Adopting a rescue Dobie would be ideal for the first-time owner, because you KNOW exactly what their temperament is, what training & exercise they require, and how well they'd fit into your family. I totally recommend the same to first-time Border Collie owners. Either way, you should go ahead and meet some Dobes from rescue to get the feel for their temperament & their individual needs.

B

borgorn

doberkim said:

getting an adult rescue is often the PERFECT situation for many people to find out what the breed is like. adult dobermans can be temperament tested and you KNOW what you are getting. the dog wont end up dog aggressive, wont end up eating the cat, wont end up being afraid of car rides - if it isnt already! you get an adult dog, you get a dog that you can evaluate and figure out what you are getting in many situations. with puppies, sometimes you can do your best to raise them, but it won't change things (like dog aggression, fearful personalities, etc).

ive adopted 3 adult dogs (2 dobermans) and one younger doberman (a total of 3 dobes) - and each one was exactly what they were when i looked at them. i could see their issues, see where they needed work, see what was perfect - to the extent that one can ever know these things (some things about a dog you can NEVER know).

i think LESS dogs would end up in shelters if instead of being so enamoured with puppies, people made the right decision and used their heads instead of just their hearts, and adopted an adult dog when it was better suited to their life. assuming all adult rescues that get adopted have issues is doing a big disservice to doberman rescue.
I never adopted an adult dog before ,but I found a doberman rescue site. Some of there stories are horrible. I might do this for my next dog. From what I've seen it is almost as expensive to rescue a dog as it is to buy a puppy. Is this true? Thanks

Members online

No members online now.