Things your dog knows that you have NO IDEA where they got it from?

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
For example:

Mia knows how to dig on cue? I have no idea when or how she knows what the word dig means. I can point to the ground and say dig and she will. It kind of baffles me.

Saeleofu

When Logan has to throw up, he throws up in the water bowl (or food bowl). Super convenient, actually, but I don't know how he figured this out.

Also I need to use the sound of a banana opening to train Logan to do sound alerts. OMFG I just pulled two bananas apart and he comes running in here from the other room where he was sound asleep.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
When Logan has to throw up, he throws up in the water bowl (or food bowl). Super convenient, actually, but I don't know how he figured this out.
If Indy is crated and has to use the bathroom and no one is home, she will sh*t in her (empty) food bowl. It's like, wtf dog, but thanks for saving me from cleaning that crate bed!

Enzo is also a Master at finding coconuts.

Indy and Ozzy will work together to herd crabs (literal crabs) to me. They don't want to touch it, they don't want to eat it, they want to bring it to me. (Though that's probably directly related to being herderbrains.)

MicksMom

From the day he came home, Caleb has sat and looked up at your face when he wants something. Sure made teaching him to sit easy- I just had to put a name to it.

GingerKid

We created our own floor cleaner. If we say "Snowball, clean-up!" he will come to the kitchen and find the food we've dropped on the floor. We did it once as a joke, and now he does it without fail. Not something I necessarily plan on teaching future dogs since Snowball has no interest in anything dangerous for him, but it's a cute trick when we have friends over and someone drops something (dog-safe) on the floor.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Well it's not out of nowhere but...Basically one day Feist hopped into the pantry and I gave her a cookie because I thought it was cute. Then over the next couple days, she did it with other various family members and they had my reaction (awwww and a treat), and got some reaaallly tasty stuff like cheese/meat for it. Now it's turned into whenever she hears the pantry door being opened, she races in and throws herself into the pantry. And of course gets a cookie.

Shakou

This

We didn't teach her this, it's just something she does. No idea if someone taught it to her before us, or what. We have her do it on que now, but she did it before when she was in super happy play mode....5 times in a row. lol.

Don't know if this counts but Kris opens my back door when she wants to come in. I am in the habit of locking it now everytime I come in if she is outside.

I think she accidentally hit the round door knob with her foot one time and the door opened.

Elrohwen

I can't think of anything for Watson, but one of my dogs growing up figured out how to roll down the windows in the car. At first he was just frustrated and pawing and the window went down. After that he was all over it and we had to put the child lock on the windows so he wouldn't roll them down in the middle of winter.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Don't know if this counts but Kris opens my back door when she wants to come in. I am in the habit of locking it now everytime I come in if she is outside.

I think she accidentally hit the round door knob with her foot one time and the door opened.
Fred does this, just casually let's himself in. Think it was trial and error learning for him!!!

Airn

Gwen turns on our (touch) bedside lamp. She found out one day that nosing it turned it on. Which results in us waking up.

She also attacks bugs and digs. I just say "Kill it!!!" and she'll paw the **** at the bug/ground. :lol-sign:

teacuptiger

floor dancer
I will probably have things to add later, just can't think of them right now.

So... If I say, "oops", I suddenly have a dog sniffing everywhere near me. Sometimes she will even nose her way under my foot just incase I stepped on the yummy. It's pretty comical and one of the few really dog things she does.

Members online

No members online now.