New Dog! Hydro?!

gapeach

Big Mutts
Fran27 said:
I agree, why not rescue a puppy (if you are set on a puppy) or a dog from a shelter. They can be really thankful and you said you wanted something different. It's hard to find a mutt that looks like everyone else's dog :D

S

stirder

of the breeds you listed I would go with the staffie or pit bull, because of the climate. sure a lot of people have akitas and such in miami but a lot of people do a lot of things they shouldnt. would be fine as an inside pet, but walks and outside playtim would be pretty short with a think coated dog. what about rottweiler, beauceron, dogo argentino, boxer, canaan dog, cane corso, rhodesian ridgeback, or another gsd?

Hydro

United States Marine Corp
I think I'm going to pick this dog up from the shelter. I figured I'd look mainly for the type I want.

gapeach

Big Mutts
Glad to hear it, there are so many out there that need good homes. Our Carey is Very protective so they don't have to be purebred for that. People will not get out of their cars at our house. But when she gets to know you she is a lap dog!

Fran27

Good to hear! What is great with mutts is that it's really easy to find a dog you like, because there just are so many of them, and they are all so unique.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
try petfinder.com you can type in the size, age, breed preference, your area, how far you want to search. You will be astonished at the dogs out there..from puppy up and how many different breeds..that need you badly.

All the breeds you're talking about are those that need SERIOUS exercise for years to stay healthy and happy. I'm talking two good runs a day. Most of them are also extremely intelligent, so you'll need to commit to some mental stimulation. It makes me sad to hear that you're giving up Rocky.

Are you really deploying in a few months? Trust me, I know how hard it is to live dog-less, but it would be kinder to the dog to wait until you come back and lay down some roots before you bring him into your life. Especially a puppy. Pups need normalcy and stability in home and relationships for a solid year to develop proper social attitudes and emotional control. (Which is part of the reason I'm sad you're losing Rocky...he's already been through a lot, and a change in family could really upset him.) If you're leaving soon, consider contacting a local shelter and being a foster dad.

Hydro might be going to FA but he aint going with the MEU in NOV.

Is Florida FA or FL?

Hydro I hope you learned something with Rocko, and I think highly of your seeing him threw his treatment.

Florida's FL, Blue ;)

It's going to be hard to leave Rocky behind, Hydro, but you've got him well on his way toward growing up to be a great family dog. He'll take good care of your parents.

If you're going to be living in an apartment - and not being shipped out - I'd suggest a semi-adult or adult dog from the shelter. Puppies can be quite difficult to deal with in an apartment. If you do think you'll be shipped out, I hope you'll take CreatureTeacher's advice . . . I hear too many stories of armed forces personnel who are deployed and think their animals are being taken care of while they're gone, only to return and find out their loved pets have been dumped at a shelter or given away.

Sorry for getting off topic with that.

I gotta show respect for your getting Rocky threw all that, that should character. Great decision to rescue.

Members online

No members online now.