Merle Genetics

I know they made merle in the APBTs either a serious or disqualifying fault, mostly over concern that it was an introduced color, not something present in the breed. I know that if you breed merle to merle, you can get lethal white.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
That's going in my bookmarks.

A general question that I probably already know the answer to...do merle genetics play out the same way in all breeds?

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
^^^ Merle genetics are the same for every breed. In dachsunds, they use the word "dapple" instead of merle, but it is the same thing.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Ok, that's what I thought. Sometimes colors vary so much within breeds that I just wanted to clarify.

We have had several lethal white Aussies at work. All from the same "breeder" I would assume. We still see one frequently as we have an agreement with her new owner to help with her health problems. She is deaf, has very strange eyes (Both partially blind and very photosensitive) and requires a completely vegetarian diet. And her fur still falls out in strange places. And her breeder doesn't care one bit. He dumps all his lethal whites at the pound.

Jynx

my male bicolor aussie is the result of a merle to merle breeding, an "oops" litter , out of 6 puppies, 2 were deaf and lethal whites, 2 froze to death (don't ask),,and mine /his merle brother are about the only 'normal' ones out of the litter..

very sad.
diane

^^^ Merle genetics are the same for every breed. In dachsunds, they use the word "dapple" instead of merle, but it is the same thing.
You may waqnt to recheck this because if I'm not mistaken it;s the piebald gene, which is not the same thing. In cattle dogs we risk deafness with the piebald gene but all dogs carry it and we breed blue to blue.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Dachunds come in dapple and piebald- two different things. Dapple is the same as merle just with a different name.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I adore merle in Aussies (obviously) but I'm still up in the air about other merles. Catahoulas being the exception...love them.

Members online

No members online now.