New additions and a big addition in the near future... (fish people?)

~Tucker&Me~

Welp, lookie what I got yesterday:

It's a Leopard Ctenopoma, and I got 3 of them. I had to call around and drive a ways but I found them :) At the moment these guys are only just 2" and pretty skinny but they are going on a meaty diet and I expect them to top out at around 6". They are the new centrepieces for my little predator tank, which brings me to the next piece of news... My tank is going to get bigger in the near future - I am going from a 30g to a 55-60g. Currently in my tank I have:

3 Leopard Ctenopomas
3 Pictus Catfish
9 Tiger Barbs
1 Clown Pleco

So when I get the new tank up I will have some decisions to make about what else to add that fits in with my group, and I am pretty excited already just planning it. I will be making a 3D background, some driftwood and plants, and I am thinking of putting all that on a light tan sand.

Decisions decisions! Anyway, just thought I would share because I am excited :)

Xandra

Ahh I'm excited for you! I love Ctenopomas :D (from what I've seen in pics those guys do look skinny though, aren't they supposed to be roundish?). Where did you get them from?

Oh, since you're still planning additions you could look into African Butterfly fish, just something I came across on the net and they look cool and are small and predatory.

You'll post pics when you're done of course... :p

~Tucker&Me~

Ahh I'm excited for you! I love Ctenopomas :D (from what I've seen in pics those guys do look skinny though, aren't they supposed to be roundish?). Where did you get them from?
Yeah I am quite enamoured with them, very neat little fish. I was also concerned about how skinny they looked but that guy is the worst and that picture (the only clear one I could get) seems to accentuate it. Either way, the place I got them from was the only store I could find them at, so I took my chances :p They showed interest in food last night but didn't eat much, which really isn't surprising since it was their first night home. Tonight I am going to see what happens though and that will make me feel either a lot better or a lot worse...

I got them from Island Pets in Burnaby. Have you ever been to that place? OMG it's massive, I was in absolute heaven. I highly recommend you go check it out. Are you a member of BCA?

Oh, since you're still planning additions you could look into African Butterfly fish, just something I came across on the net and they look cool and are small and predatory.

You'll post pics when you're done of course... :p
I really really considered getting one of those guys but opted not to because I worried the tigers would tear their fins apart. I am not sure if I will be keeping the tigers though in the bigger tank so I may end up giving one of them a try. It's so hard to decide!

Of course :D For reference, I will probably try imitating this style:

http://www.designsbynature.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/bj241L-cut-20L-10.jpg

Except with a few plants and a large pice of driftwood instead of the rocks :)

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Good luck with the bigger tank :) loved when I moved up to my 90g

Xandra

How are they doing?

I haven't been to the Island Pets in Burnaby, but go to the one in Richmond frequently. They had some Ctenopomas in a while ago. I'm a member of BCA but with like, two posts :p Mostly I lurk.

Definitely looking forward to the pics ;)

~Tucker&Me~

The fish are doing GREAT, eating a ton and pooping even more... :p I'll post some updated pics after they get a chance to fatten up and possibly in the new setup.

I haven't been to the Richmond one, but the Burnaby one sure is nice. One day I will have to take a trip out to the Richmond one to take a look. I don't know if you have tanks running at the moment, but there is also the annual monster auction put on by VAHS and this year it is in N. Van, so if you have any interest in going and getting some good deals on some of the rare and exotic stuff we could meet up and go together :) I have never been to one but plan to go for the first time this year.

I mostly lurk on BCA too lol.

~Tucker&Me~

Just needed to pop in and announce I am picking up a 90g tonight... Woohoo! I am very excited :D

Xandra

Glad to hear they're doing better! I have two 10 gallons ATM, with a grand total of 3 fishes and 4 assassin snails lol, but maybe I'll have something more workable running by then. I have an unused 30 gallon that I may set up. I'd really like an mbuna tank and a bichir but they need lots of space of course.

I plan on going to VAHS auction; the last one I went to was pretty cool, so we could probably meet there :)

Awesome about the 90, you should be able to do something pretty spectacular with that :D

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
So exciting! Please post pics when it is set up! I wish I could have something that big. Biggest I could probably go in my room is. 30 or 40 gal. Anything else would take up too much room.

crazedACD

Oooh gorgeous! I've had two over the past few years, one I lost in the big snow storm/power outages, another was never 100% (parasites maybe?) and didn't thrive. Hope yours does better!

Members online

No members online now.