Questions for confirmation dog shows...

xpaeanx

Does anyone on here show cardis? Maybe after meeting her, if I decided she's the breeder for me, I can pm pics and get opinions of the dogs?

corgi_love

I'm going to PM you, I can help you in a lot in finding a CWC and things like that, and I can help you find a good breeder rather than just a convenient one :)

xpaeanx

thanks CL! I don't know if she is a good breeder or not yet bc I haven't met her yet! I was just stating that I hope she is bc she's REALLY close!

R

RedyreRottweilers

Its done by points or wins. like if your dog wins a National sweeps is over a smaller show. Its all placement. While its true once a champion points do not matter, they place the dogs by the number of wins. I know I am being simplictic in my explanation but that is why you hear when you watch westminster " number so in so" in the breed."..
As far as what you want- that is up to you. If you want a easy start go with a seasoned vetern. If you have a good mentor to show you how to show- start with a younger dog. Its totally up to you..
Once you have a CH the dog goes into the Best of Breed class.
You know, I just have no idea why you continue to insist on displaying your ignorance. I don't know where you have been showing dogs all these years, but where I show dogs for the past 20 years or so, here is how it works, and anyone who goes to shows on any sort of regular basis KNOWS IT.

Points matter no matter how or where a dog is being shown. Dogs accumulate Breed points by how many dogs of their own breed they defeat, whether they are Champions or not. Breed points have nothing to do with Championship points. Dogs accumulate all breed points by how many dogs they defeat of other breeds in Group and BIS competition. Rankings are by Breed and All Breed, and are determined by the number of POINTS. It has nothing to do with the number of wins, it is the number of dogs defeated.

Sweepstakes carry no point value, neither for AKC nor for Breed points.

My advice to the OP is consider the 12 months old dog. Have the breeder go over the dog with you and point out what they consider the strengths and weaknesses of the dog. Then get at least one other impartial person who would be considered an expert in the breed to do so as well.

If health testing is important in the breed, then I would want to see results on that before I purchased a 12 months old dog, even if it is only prelims.

R

RedyreRottweilers

But you said its " specialed" and the fact is- its a given.. A Special is a champion that is trying to beat other champions for rank.. Hardly dismissed as a casual thing.. ie beating the best of the best is the purpose. They may call it a " special" but the fact is- its a champion going into best of breed for Best to hopefully make best of group- ..

The term SPECIAL is used often in regard to dogs who are already finished. It can be a noun or a verb.

As in, "That is a really nice Special you have there" (noun)

Or "Are you going to Special your dog after he is finished?" (verb)

Some people Special for fun at local events, and some people spend millions campaigning a dog for a Quaker Oats award.

Making it to the top 25 in some breeds takes a lot of time and money and a very good dog.

corgi_love

thanks CL! I don't know if she is a good breeder or not yet bc I haven't met her yet! I was just stating that I hope she is bc she's REALLY close!
No problem :) I'm so so excited for you. And knowing it's a CWC, I honestly don't think you will have any trouble training a puppy for show. It's not complicated :) Don't forget to also start looking for some conformation classes near you, either by searching or asking shower breeders in your area(that's how I found my conformation class!).

Good luck! I'll still be PMing you back and forth, just wanted to post again :)

xpaeanx

Red what's a sweapstakes? I got the rest of what you said though.... thanks for explaining...

CL I'm going to check the links you sent me later and then PM you back when I have more time...

And someone asked me if I plan on breeding.. forget who.. but, at this point I haven't even thought of it. As I stated before this will be my first show dog and I"m completely new to this. So, all I can say is at this point I have no plans to breed. If I do finish CH then I may it consider at that time. If I don't(which is very possible bc for now at least I will be doing this a weekend hobby) then I won't.

R

RedyreRottweilers

A sweepstakes is a non-regular competition for puppies under 24 months of age, and often for Veterans 7 and older as well.

It is organized and put on by the Breed club. Often judges are breeders who are getting started on their quest for their judging license.

The entry fees are divided, with the club getting a percentage, and the rest being divided between the class winners, placers, and the Best and Best Opposite in Sweepstakes.

While a good showing or a Sweeps win carries prestige, it never carries any AKC or other point value.

:D

I haven't read through all the replies on this thread, but maybe if you want to get your feet wet, show the older dog for her, but don't own it...just borrow. :)

That way, you could get your feet wet tomorrow, see what it's like and then think longer about which dog, or which new puppy you want. It might be possible that you will meet others along your path.

Good Luck!

Not so.. If you want a top dog, like Westminster only takes the top 25 in each breed so they continue to show for placing purposes. Also additional wins are to show the quality of the dog for breeding purposes..
Just to clarify here, the top 5 dogs in each breed (1/1 through 10/31) will be 'invited' to enter...and entries are now open for any other champion--but entry is not guaranteed...it's done by a lottery.

Entry services are now no longer valid. Your entry must be sent by regular mail.

Members online

No members online now.