What's in a name?

Curses, I was beaten to the punch by mrose. Although I think that some people (me, me, me) find the 'made up' names for mixes to be a little awful. I'm never sure which I'm cringing from worse - the fact that the nice young couple calls their pet a 'puggle,' the possibility they paid $800 for him/her in a pet store, or the way they're looking just a hair condescendingly at my dog, who I've introduced as a mix.

Char_06

Milo*Shady*&NaNuks*Mum
I'm new and i'm only 15 and i understand entirely the veiws of everyone here and agree...i have a rottweiler cross GSD...and thats what she is if anyone asks..i dont even know any attractive names that would suit her! lmao
But i do think naming a mutt/crossbreed with a designer name to up your profits or pride in your dog is stupid. Its fine if you prefere to call your dog that aslong as at the end of the day you arent ignorent to what he/she really is.

stevinski

Int CH - $uperBitch
a name doesnt change what it is

lets call a cocker spaniel cross poodle a cockapoo but its still a poodle cross cocker spaniel, so why not say that, its more accurate
the only reason people use those names is so they can make more money, and i cant think of any other reason why they would

Cassiepeia

Chihuahua Mum
What's wrong with simply saying `I have a mix`??! I happen to think that cross breeds and all kinds of mixes are adorable and there's no shame in owning one ;) . I had a lovely Staffy mix and before that I was owned by an adorable Poodle mix and loved both of them just as much as my pedigree dogs....
This is how I feel and why I don't like (ok...I HATE) the designer mutt names. If you own a mutt...be proud you own a mutt. Don't hide behind some stupid made up name. Shout to the world that you own a Cocker Spaniel/Poodle mix. Be happy that your dog is unique and there will never be another like him/her because....he/she is a mutt! It's not a dirty word, no one here sees it as a dirty word...mutt should be something you're proud to call your mix breed.

I really do feel like people who insist on using those supid DD names are just ashamed that their dog isn't a pure bred. The second those stupid names came into being every 'non-dog person' (because a real dog person loves mutts and isn't ashamed to call them that) seemed to think it was embarrassing or 'not cool' to admit to having a mix breed.

So...once again I say, Stand tall and be proud you have a mutt!. :d

Cass.

mrose_s

BusterLove
we own 4 mutts! 2 were planned. 2 just sort of dropped into our lives. and i love them all. and i wouldnt change any of them for anything in the world. if some one asks what any of them are. i'll tell them. people keep guessing that mac is a doberman puppy. but she actually looks like a manchester terrier... cept with a white chest. she runs like a whippet. but apparently her mum was a mini foxy... odd. haha

sigh

The sad thing is, when u all make a big fuss over what a persons mutt is called, you all make yourselves look like you think the only good dog is a pure breed dog. I'm really sorry, but thats wut it looks like, its sad, a dog is a dog no matter what. Just because you all have a pure breed you all can be proud to say what kind of dog it is, but when someone has a mutt, and its a mix of something and they just want to shorten the name, its a BIG **** DEAL... I think everyone just needs to get over it. Like that other person said, every dog deserves a chance. I have 2 Labradors mixed with doberman. We joke and call it a Labramen, but we dont dwell on it. Not all of us are so into breeding a NEW BREED. We just happen to have a shelter dog, or an "accident puppy". Its sad how a lot of ppl these days dont want mutts. It was the Grand Opening of the new PetSmart here by my house, and the Animal Shelter brought puppies and dogs to get adopted out, guess which ones went first!!?? all the pure breeds. sigh... i'm not saying you all are like that, but man, why hate that some ppl have mutts and not pure breeds? And why hate what we call them? The one thing i do hate tho, is someone who tries to make a new breed. Some ppl are really dumb nowadays. Thats wrong, but when its a mutt that was brought here just because of nature, then great.

Boemy

This is how I feel and why I don't like (ok...I HATE) the designer mutt names. If you own a mutt...be proud you own a mutt. Don't hide behind some stupid made up name. Shout to the world that you own a Cocker Spaniel/Poodle mix. Be happy that your dog is unique and there will never be another like him/her because....he/she is a mutt! It's not a dirty word, no one here sees it as a dirty word...mutt should be something you're proud to call your mix breed.

I really do feel like people who insist on using those supid DD names are just ashamed that their dog isn't a pure bred. The second those stupid names came into being every 'non-dog person' (because a real dog person loves mutts and isn't ashamed to call them that) seemed to think it was embarrassing or 'not cool' to admit to having a mix breed.

So...once again I say, Stand tall and be proud you have a mutt!. :d

Cass.

Right on! A mutt is not a dirty secret. They're great dogs. You don't need some stupid made up name to be proud of your dog.

And frankly that's what I find almost all the designer names to be--stupid. Especially anything with "poo" or "doodle" in them. I'm sorry, but those names are just awful.

mrose_s

BusterLove
my mates and I have rated "poo" and "doodle" the funniest words ever invented. when conversation runs low we just have to say one of them. we can laugh and it usually makes a good conversation

Ashlea

The sad thing is, when u all make a big fuss over what a persons mutt is called, you all make yourselves look like you think the only good dog is a pure breed dog. I'm really sorry, but thats wut it looks like, its sad, a dog is a dog no matter what. Just because you all have a pure breed you all can be proud to say what kind of dog it is, but when someone has a mutt, and its a mix of something and they just want to shorten the name, its a BIG **** DEAL... I think everyone just needs to get over it. Like that other person said, every dog deserves a chance. I have 2 Labradors mixed with doberman. We joke and call it a Labramen, but we dont dwell on it. Not all of us are so into breeding a NEW BREED. We just happen to have a shelter dog, or an "accident puppy". Its sad how a lot of ppl these days dont want mutts. It was the Grand Opening of the new PetSmart here by my house, and the Animal Shelter brought puppies and dogs to get adopted out, guess which ones went first!!?? all the pure breeds. sigh... i'm not saying you all are like that, but man, why hate that some ppl have mutts and not pure breeds? And why hate what we call them? The one thing i do hate tho, is someone who tries to make a new breed. Some ppl are really dumb nowadays. Thats wrong, but when its a mutt that was brought here just because of nature, then great.

What you are refusing to understand is that MANY of us here have mutts. By getting angry over giving them designer names we are in no way bashing mutts. We are just wanting to halt the progression of stupidity. If you give them "cool" names all that will result in is the Paris Hilton wannabes demanding these dogs from "breeders" instead of shelters so that they come with the name. Hence flooding the market with mutts when there are plenty available at shelters that need a second chance.

Would you perfer to get say, an orange for a decent price from a grocer or would you want to get the very same fruit, but given a fancy name, say... Organic sun fruit, for 5 time the price from your local health food store, it is the same thing. Try and look past the net thrown up for the stupid and see what is really going on here!

It sounds to me, by reading a few of your posts, that you have some sort of chip on your shoulder about mixed breeds. You need to get over that and see the wood for the trees here.

A

Angel Chicken

So...once again I say, Stand tall and be proud you have a mutt!
I won't lie! I have a beautiful... umm... JackaChi!

Haha... I am joking, Kona is my mutt, heinz 57, whatever you wanna call her, and nothing will change that! I have never owned a purebreed in my life, and to tell you the truth, probably never will. I'm nuts for mutts!

So once again, be proud that you have a MUTT... don't hide their true selves behind a stupid name.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
When I had my dobie mix, I would tell people jokingly that she was a "purebred mutt" because we had no real idea what made her up. And so many people would go "no she's not, she's either a purebred or a mutt, she can't be both." At that point I would just roll my eyes and tell them they missed the point.

bubbatd

That was great , Gillian !!! I just hugged my mutt, Ollie . Or should I say my CUR ..... curly unusual retriever ..... or my Goldenchessie ....

missbeckydee

Yee Wee Beastie
I love that story....I'm glad my family and I aren't the only people that make up breed names for our dog. My dad has this adorable dog and everyone keeps asking us what kind of dog he is. We call him our Miniature Longhaired Siberian Bullhound. Whenever we tell people that, they are very impressed that we own such a rare dog. But he is rare! He's one of a kind! :)

Kirby face!!!!

Members online

No members online now.