mixing food to keep Callie from getting bored.

callie

Right now I'm feeding Iams Lamb and Rice food to Callie. I split it up so she eats twice a day. Lately I've noticed that she's becoming a little bored with her food, and sometimes doesn't eat all of it. She gets plenty of exercise. We go on a 2-3 mile walk every day and she gets plenty of outdoor time.
I got her from a shelter who got their food from donations, so they did not always have the same brands or flavors. They told me they just mixed all the feed together and feed that to the dogs. She was fed like this for several months.
Now my question is, do you think it's okay to mix or switch foods? I will definately stick with Iams, but I'm thinking of getting different flavors like Healthy Naturals or Mini Chunks (chicken). What is everyone's opinion?

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
My opinion is.... get a higher quality kibble! : P but that's just my opinion. Sometimes dogs know more than we think they know, maybe Callie's trying to tell you something.

If looking into premium kibble isn't an option, you could try healthy supplements, like yogurt, plain chicken, canned salmon, green beans, etc.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Iams isn't a quality food at all... it's full of grains and by-products. Honestly, you could get a much better food for around the same price.

A better brand which isn't expensive is Canidae :)

callie

ok, I'll check out other foods. Any other suggestions besides Canidae that might be a little easier to find. I live in small town KY which makes finding this kind of stuff a little difficult.

Steponme

Phototaker
Not only is Iams a poor quality food, they do lab testing on animals...:yikes:
I agree with everyone else, there are far better brands out there.

jjsmom

"Poopsie"
I think especially for the money you can find some far better foods out there. We feed Timberwolf but it can be difficult to find and often folks have to order online and it is one of the more pricey choices. I think Canidae is a great food and VERY reasonable, but if you are looking for some different options and you don’t have some good stores near you BUT you DO have Petco, then here are a couple suggestions I personally would consider feeding from there:

Natural Balance
Solid Gold
Blue Buffalo
Avoderm (by breeders choice- the same company showpug gave you).

As to your variety question, I rotate bags of Timberwolf formulas every 1-2 times I go through a bag (every 2-4 weeks). I also feed a variety of canned and fresh foods as “mix-in’s) and I rotate those almost every meal.

Good luck!

Members online

No members online now.