Weird behavior

yoko

didn't know if this went here or training sooo just move if this is the wrong place.

lately yoshi's been doing something kind of weird and i was wondering if i should be worried.

when someone like my friend is inside yoshi loves them and is ok with them. but lately when she's let outside and the person she doesn't know is there shes circles them and barks at them. not her rooroorooroo mean bark but a little deeper than h er play bark. she never does this when i walk outside and as soon as i walk out she stops? anyone know what's going on with her?

Doberluv

Is this in her own yard? She may be afraid of them, as they are "intruders" or she may be protecting her place.

How much practice has she had with people coming over as a young puppy? How much socializing has she had?
What breed and what age is she?
When this happens, how do you react and,
what do the people do when they're being circled and barked at?

yoko

yeah it's our yard.

she's had a ton of socializing. she's great with people, i can trust her around large groups, if someone comes in she barks.

i don't really know what she is. i was told terrier mix by the shelter but i have also been told lab/poodle mix. she's 1 1/2

i only saw it once and she stopped right when i came outside. when i looked out daniel was standing there relaxed saying calmly 'what are you doing yoshi?'

i don't know how my dad reacts but he says that lately she's been doing that to her.

Doberluv

Maybe she is glad to have visitors and is greeting them. lol. Its really hard to say when we can't see her. Can you tell by her body language if she's being friendly or does she appear to be doing the "watch dog" thing? Its normal for dogs to bark when someone comes to their house, just so long as she's not acting aggressively (scary-like) to them.

yoko

she's not really being... aggressive. it's kinda neutral. she's not trying to play but she's not acting mean. it did scare daniel and my dad was wondering what was going on when she did it. i can't really see it because if i'm there she won't do it and when she realizes i'm watching she quits and just sits down in front of whoever she's doing it to

Doberluv

Maybe it would be best that she's not outside alone when someone comes. I would, if it were my dog want to discourage the circling around the person. That's a little intimidating unless she's clearly being playful, which from what you say, doesn't quite sound like it. I would allow a little barking as that's her way of warning you that someone is coming. If she never does it when you're present however, that might be difficult....unless you get someone to come and toss treats to her BEFORE she begins this "closing in" on them. She should not be rewarded (treats or happy talking) while she's doing this. They should ignore her completely. (if you're not there and this is going on) If she stops for just a second or two, then they can toss her a treat. Maybe you can enlist the help of someone. I think regardless of whether she gets a treat from someone, she'll still likely bark when someone comes, which is a typical watch dog response.

Members online

No members online now.