do pugs bite?

Tinaweena

All breeds have the potential to bite. And All puppies will, without a doubt bite.
It depends on how well you train and socialize a dog. You have to train with positive methods, and never hit a dog.

stevinski

Int CH - $uperBitch
lol i think that any dog has the potential to bite,

pick a good breeder and get a puppy from parents of good temperament and you should be fine :D

Mach1girl

Yes, they bite and so do pekes!

The peke, pugs, and such dogs alike tend to have the "little dog syndrom". I have truely never known one NOT to have this problem. Sometimes it doesnt show for awhile, but eventually, it comes out.

I own 5 bulldogs and 2 pekes. The bulldogs are run by the pekes and my children have suffered black eyes and wounded lips from the pekes over the years, even before aquiring the bulldogs!

The pug owners I know claim to have the SAME problems!

I know breeding quality has something to do with it as with any breed, but IME, these two breeds are notorious for this!

mjb

I did own a pug, a black pug, and, with the exception of puppyhood he never bit or attempted to bite anyone. (In puppyhood, it was playbiting, and I don't recall much about it....just know that all puppies playbite, so I'm sure he did). He was extremely mellow and good-natured. Based only on him, I would say they are the most laid-back dogs in the world.

However, a good friend of mine had a fawn pug, and she could not be trusted with children. She was a little nervous around them and could not be trusted not to bite. Of course, when she was younger, her own family's children played very roughly with her, so I don't know if that probably had something to do with it.

The differences probably were in how they were treated when young? I've wondered if the genes that carry color also carry some temperament traits. (I've never met a red/orange cat that wasn't a complete spaz...meant in a good way, I have an orange cat!!)

Every single dog on this planet is capable of biting a human, unless they don't have teeth. :p It's how you train them, that's what determines whether they'll bite you or not.

Don't train him, and he'll bite!

L

LabBreeder

Is this from the same person that asked if Pugs would run away? If so, I kind of wish he/she would put all the questions in one forum on one thread so we could get them all answered at once and not miss anything.

But yes...any dog can bite and any dog can run away.

elegy

overdogged
The peke, pugs, and such dogs alike tend to have the "little dog syndrom". I have truely never known one NOT to have this problem. Sometimes it doesnt show for awhile, but eventually, it comes out.
most of the dogs with this problem have "little dog owners". small breed dogs owned by people who see them as dogs, treat them as dogs, and train them as dogs regardless of their size and cuteness tend to have much better behaved dogs.

responsibly bred dogs from lines of stable temperament are also less likely to bite.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
As everyone has already said, any dog can bite, but in my experiences with pugs, I've been bitten. They tend to play really rough, but I've never met an aggresive one. ;)

DanL

Our pug play bites if you get him REALLY riled up, and even that is nothing. I honestly don't think he could break the skin unless he got real lucky. He's so mild mannered around people, he just wants to be petted. He's such a chicken with anything out of the ordinary, he barks and won't leave your side, leaving the defense to the 2 bigger dogs.

Lola.

I have small dogs, they do not bite or nip or act like spoiled brats. I've met a lot of bigger dogs that acted like that, though. Bad behavior (or whatever you want to call it) can generally be traced back to the owner and breeder.

Pugs can bite (of course they can). Mine would use his teeth as "hands" but he never clamped down... he had good bite inhibition which he learned when he was a puppy. He was taught "no bite" and would release when asked. It's all about how they are raised.

showpug

I own three pugs and none of them have ever attempted to bite me or anyone else for that matter. My pugs have never growled at me or anyone else and they have always been very loving and happy dogs. They would much rather trot off than bite if something were disturbing them. They defiantly are not even close to the Peke temperment, just read the breed standards!

The pug is a very loving and happy breed. Mine don't suffer from "little dog syndrome" at all. They don't have attitudes with larger dogs and if they do, it's from lack of socialization or training. It's not within the breed's nature to be aggressive in anyway!!!

Now, anything with teeth can bite, but I would say pugs really don't try to bite, even when pushed to their limits...that is if they were bred for proper temperment!!!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.