Buddy won't eat his Evo.. aaargh!

DriftMojo

so based on the good reviews I've read, I got a huge bag of this Innova Evo stuff and threw all my Pedigree stuff where it belonged - in the trash.

Buddy's kind of used to canned food and people food (I'm know, I'm bad) so he hasn't been eating the evo much at all. If I put some in my hand, he'll eat a few handfuls and then stop (which is ok, because he's only 25lbs). I've only had him for 2 months, but before that, he spent the first year or so of his life with people that ONLY FED HIM table scraps.

I've tried added a bit of warm water to the evo to liven it up - at first he ate it, but after that he started turning up his nose to it (it's pretty annoying! He'd sniff loudly, lift his nose in the air and walk away)..

so I've tried starving him.. No treats, no human food, just water. Then I'd put out the evo for 15 minute intervals. He still refuses to eat! It's been two days and it's turning into a battle of wills! I know he's not sick because he tried stealing human food off the dinner table last night.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Do I need to try something different or is he about to crack? Any tips on permanently weaning him off of people food?

Ive also considered mixing it with a quality canned food - can anyone recommend one that is of the same quality as the Evo?

Thanks!

showpug

I would mix it with a small amount of Innova canned food...or, I would add salmon oil to get it nice and stinky ;)

Athe

I do what showpug suggest :) I always for all 5 of my dogs add a spoonful of canned premium dog food to my kibble. All of my dogs would starve themselves if they had to just eat plan kibble :p
It's also easier on the kidneys to add water and some canned food. For variety I mix in canned Sardines packed in water, canned wild alaskan Salmon, Hemp seed oil, flax oil etc. every few meals. Sometimes I throw in some cooked meats and veggies into the kibble and mix up throughly. Yogurt is another good item to add, I glump some on top, my dogs love it. Cottage cheese can also be added. Be creative with your dogs food, Buddy will love you for it. It's also very healthy to add a few healthy table scraps (meats, veggies etc.).

showpug

Athe is right....there is nothing wrong with giving table scraps with the Innova Evo as long as you are choosing the right ones, and making sure your dog does not become overweight. The Inn. Evo is a good base to ensure proper nutrition. Athe gave some really good example for mix-ins :p

oriondw

user not active
People will probably think im cruel but here's the fastest way to do it.

Put Evo into his cup and thats it. Dont give him anything else. If he doesnt like it, tough, take food away till next feeding time. Rinse repeat until he gets it that dry food is the only thing he'll be getting. Depending on how stubborn the dog is it can take anywhere from 1 day to a full week. When he's been on a hunger strike for 2 days he'll appretiate the EVO you offer him everyday :)

oriondw -

Many peole reccommend that. I don't necessarily think it's bad, but I myself wouldn't be able to do that to a dog, I'd ended up giving it a little biscuit at least once a day.

Either way will work. I tend to like giving mine some raw and home cooked food as well as their EVO.

One thing to remember is that some dogs - like some people - will get a taste for junk food and it's hard to get them weaned off of the garbage. Ever seen someone try to get a kid to eat a balanced meal when they've been brought up on Happy Meals?

Members online

No members online now.