Won't come in from the yard sometimes until good and ready

BSan

Need some advise. My pup, soon one year, won't always come in from the yard. it makes things difficult if we have to go to work, and he just won't come in, won't be lured in, and we can't get a hold of him. We also don't want to leave him out when we aren't home. He is most interested in looking for bunnies under the deck, flushing them out, and chasing them, or picking up something he thinks we want, and running around wanting us to chase him. When he does that, I turn around and walk inside, and come out a few minutes later, repeat again, until he comes in. We have tried treats, sticks, toys, food, his leash, and whatever, and sometimes he comes in, and sometimes he doesn't. He and I are currently in an obedience class, so he is in process, but here I am, I gotta get going, and he is outside. I do not use the command come, unless I can enforce it. (like on a long lead etc.) Any ideas?? I suppose this may be normal, but it is frustrating.

elegy

overdogged
kudos for not calling him if you can't enforce it. my favorite how to teach a reliable recall link is here. if he were mine, he wouldn't be out in the yard entertaining himself. he'd only be going out if he were actively engaged in some kind of activity with me. as soon as he stopped paying attention to me, he'd go right back inside. right now he's showing you pretty clearly that he finds the yard way more interesting than he finds you. i think better controlling the yard as resource will help you out a bunch.

Doberluv

For now, until he has a reliable recall, I'd keep him on a long line. But rather than force him in by reeling (that's just in case) try again to make a game and run away from him, try squeeking a curious toy, give him treats when he does come. Once you get him inside, continue playing his favorite game,(hide and seek is fun) give him a really yummy treat or a Kong stuffed with a little bit of peanut butter. Make coming inside loads of fun....not that he thinks coming inside equals the end of fun and you leaving right away. That's why he probably is hesitant about coming in.

Members online

No members online now.