Frustrated...

First let me say I am NOT frustrated with Tanner, I am frustrated with MYSELF...When I first got Tanner, I had a plan in my mind of how I was going to train him...I wanted a controlled walk on leash but not necessarily a strict heel position...I trained a sheltie before and showed him in obedience but I have no desire to show Tanner...

I am strictly training him for fun and to make an enjoyable companion out of him...Anyways...I use to love to take walks with him, we would play games as we walked and had alot of fun...Then I had the bright idea of taking him to a training class...I didn't tell the trainer that I had trained a sheltie before and shown but she picked up on it by the way I handled Tanner...

The trainer wants him in perfect heel position with automatic sits...On a controlled walk when I stopped Tanner sat so this wasn't a big deal but the trainer told me that it was on MY shoulders to make a good impression for the other students...To make a long story short...

My interest in taking Tanner for walks has decreased alot, a walk that normally took 15 minutes had started taking 45 minutes because of trying to achieve that exact heel position...Some mornings he does awesome, (he is just a pup so it varies) and then their are mornings that it's like "aw c-mon mom lets have fun like we use to"...

It has gotten to the point where I dread going for a walk...This morning I didn't want to go but Tanner did...He doesn't understand why mom isn't happy about walks anymore...He's all primed and ready to go but today I just didn't want to walk...We went tho...and Tanner was bubbly as usual...But then I noticed his tail was dropping lower and lower and he started trying to herd me to go back towards home...

The walk that him and I had enjoyed so much had fallen apart all because I decided to listen to the pressure of a trainer...It's not that I'm not up to the challenges that come along with trying to teach a dog to heel, that has nothing to do with it...It has to do with wanting a controlled ENJOYABLE walk...Not one that I take 1 step and have to do a type of correction to put then back in the heel position...

He's a baby for pete's sake!...I'm not saying that heeling a dog isn't enjoyable, what I am saying is, it's not what *I* want for Tanner and I...
I tried to explain this to the trainer and she got slightly perturbed with me...She told me that if I don't train Tanner to the letter (meaning EXACT heel position) that he won't behave as an adult...

So this morning I want to throw Tanner's training out the window and say the heck with it...But poor Tanner doesn't understand why mom doesn't want to do the training as usual...

I don't know what I am looking for by posting this, I guess it's just a way to vent and say don't cave to the pressure of being perfect, train your pups as "you" want to train them before your heart or theirs (pups) ain't into it...Kalena

bubbatd

I always liked to train my dogs for the heel walk , with the sits at crossing etc... but then release them verbally for a fun walk...you can call for a " heel " when approaching others or a dog . Walks should be fun.... don't make it a training session, except when needed.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
It is not your job to set an example for the other students, that is the trainers job. The other students should be watching the trainer, not you.

Also, I have two different commands for my guys:

I use the command "close" for loose-leash walking, and it doubles for when they are offlead, if I say close they stay within about 2 feet of me but not in a strict heel.

Then I use the command "heel" for a stict heel, if they are in a close position and I see another dog/person I'll tell them to heel and they fall right in beside me.

I agree with this philosophy completely!...I just want the trainer off my back...I have struggled hard over the years to overcome being a perfectionist and her getting on my case is kicking that behavior in me in full force..And I SWORE I would not go down that perfection road with Tanner...

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Training and doing obedience is supposed to be fun for both you and Tanner, and from your post it seems that neither of you are having fun.

What about going to a different trainer?

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Everyone needs a break every now and again. Varying the routine and don't worry about having a strict heel 100% of the time out on walks. Heel for a block, loose lead for two or whatever strikes your fancy. You're already getting burned out, your pup is starting to and that in and of itself is a bigger problem than not having a text-book perfect heel in a young dog.

Thanks all...Corgi, I'm checking into a new trainer...I agree with everyone and I am glad that I'm not alone...Kalena

Members online

No members online now.