Anatolian/Malinois HAVE to have a fence???

Hi, I'm new here. Just posted on the rescue forum. I'm concerned about adopting a Anatolian/Malinois mix,he's 2 yrs old,very sweet,but NOT trained.

We have a huge yard & woods,but NO fencing. I've read alot of the posts here on both breeds,seems like he would be compelled to RUN.

Really want to get him (he's been at the shelter 5 mos),but afraid he'd be smart enough to figure out how to open any of the lever type doors we have & take off like a flash. I've read where a Malinois was clocked at 35mph!

He sits on command,however their claim that he's leash trained just isn't true.

Should I cancel the adoption?

Thanks & appreciate any replies!

wolfsoul

I Love My Belgian
I would foster him for a while and see how he is. I don't know much about anatolians, but malinois should not be let loose. I have a Belgian, myself, and no matter how sweet they are, they are dangerous -- malinois are generally very high drive (my groenendael has the drive of one), and when they get into drive, nothing else enters their mind. My dog is not dog aggressive but if she was put into drive, she'd kill one in an instant. They should not be let loose unless they are supervised and in a safe situation.

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
I also have a Belgian, but mine is a Tervuren.

I have seen Malinois work before and they have one of the most intense "drives" I've seen in a dog(besides Beagles and their "follow your nose" routine lol). They are extremely intense. THeir stare alone gets ya lol

My dog, Riot will go after something until I say "off"... then he'll stop. But I had trained him since I had gotten him with "off" command and even then he does have is days where he says "screw it" and keep going.
When Riot is doing his Search and Rescue training - ones hes on the trail there is NO calling him off of it. He follows it until hes found the victim.

Mallys are also called "Maligatos" lol not just for humors sake either.. lol they are now being bred and trained for intense work such as police work in protection, tracking and obedience.

I dont know much about the Anatolians I just have heard that they are a very independant dog and CAN be pig headed. They are used for guarding flock so normally once they know what their territory is they will stay there. I also know that they will go to great lengths to protect their property - ie. kill wolves.

Both breeds are also VERY protective instintually.
Riots handler(for shows) actually told me that Belgians have a "not so great" rap in the show ring as well and they are somewhat "feared" by some judges.

Personally, I have never ever had Riot "leave" his property more then 5 minutes. I have always had watch over him though.

Another option for you would be to put in electric fencing.

Barb04

Super Moderator
I have an Anatolian. You must have a fence or they will run. They are known as having "a mind of their own" which makes them great guardian dogs. I've never owned a malinois, but would never advise anyone without a fence to get an Anatolian.

I can see that you really want this pup, but I would say a fence is a definite requirement.

Fran27

You don't need a fence, but you will have to keep the dog on leash, and go to dog parks etc for excercise (plus lots of walks).

R

RedyreRottweilers

IMO mixing a high drive herding breed such as a Belgian Malinois with a determined giant livestock guardian breed such as an Anatolian Shepherd is simply a disaster waiting to happen.

You will DEFINITELY need fencing.

mojozen

bullie lover
I don't think the underground electric fence (invisible fence) would keep a determined dog in it's yard. It may keep another dog OUT of the yard, but if a high drive dog has a strong instinct for either prey or defense of property and decides to give chase, it may very well ignore the shock that the underground fence/collar combo would give it and keep on going. I've heard dogs who've done this, and then when they try to get back IN to their yard they can't because the drive to ignore pain is gone.

Thank you all for the replies

I knew in my BRAIN that I couldn't adopt him, it just broke my heart to see him & know he's so special.

I have a few thoughts on how to help find him a proper home,so I'm not giving up on him yet! The shelter has a no-kill policy,they did put down the Pit Bull who attacked him in the kennel however.

I appreciate the info you have provided me with.

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
There are always silver linings though. What you could do is run a wire from tree to tree(spread apart) and have him linked to that wire from another dangling wire while hes outside.

This would prevent him from running away at least :)

Depending on which brain hes developed from the two breeds, you could always take him to obedience classes and such and try working with him that way and create a bond to him.

And I think the fostering idea for a bit is a wonderful idea, that way you KNOW for sure without any doubts if hes the dog for you.

Already thought of that idea!!

Well, guess what? This might work out afterall!! Just got an e-mail from the shelter director, she doesn't think he's EITHER breed, she thinks he's mixed Irish Wolfhound!!!

My partner said right off the bat that he thought Wolfhound because of the GAIT.

I never realized it's the volunteers that figure out the breed! Was sure a vet had done that.

Also, I tell ya this dog is just plain SWEET. And I wondered how the heck one dog didn't end up dead in the fight, would a Malinois back down?? Not likely!

She also said she's never heard of an Anatolion in our area-ever!

So, now I'm excited & will research Wolfhound's.

We had already measured the length of cable we could stretch out for a run,we found really strong ones @ Petsmart for 40', and I began clearing out a big shed where I could let him run secure & use for training.

Thanks so much for your interest in this!

P.S. Rags is the dog's name & seems fitting since the coat is many colors!

bubbatd

I'm with Summer... at our old home I had a line run for my females in heat . I'd go with fostering too , if they would let you without a fence.

We have Rags with us!!

I posted on the rescue forum yesterday. It's been 24 hrs. & NO problems,he's even making progress on the leash.

So quite,bonding with us & eager to please. Trying to get into training schedule on Tues,if not I've asked for private lessons ASAP. I'm anxious to be able to walk him!

Problem with the run line, his legs are very long (& injuried from the attack),we have to be right there to untangle him,he gets so excited! He's learning the perimeter. How can we keep him safe? The line is up 8' between a shed & the house overhang & we've cleared out all obstacles. We want him to enjoy having some freedom,he found a shady spot he liked & seemed real puzzled that he was there & we were 30' away,the line down is 15', should we try a shorter one so he can't trip/tangle?Could it be put on the ground? We have the room to do that also.

He has a long tail that curls up,his coat is brown,red,black,with white chest. We don't even know what he looks like yet cause of all the shaved fur!

Like a giant pup in some ways!

Thanks,Pati

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
He soudns adorable!! hehe and yes shorten the hanging line from the primary top run line. It should ONLY be long enough for him to lay down so leg injuries don't occur.

Get a picture of him and post asap!! :)

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
IMHO I think ALL dogs should have a fence regardless of breeds. BUT if you can make it work with out good for you

Rags & the deer head.....

Thanks for the replies, we will get a shorter line,let's see now, so far: one @ 40',one @ 20' and one @ 15',what's a few more $$$.

A fence is out of the question right now, however I'm gonna do some research about types,costs,etc. And dummy me (because I never venture down there),just realized there's a full basment! If I could clear out out the JUNK (yard sale-yeah), he could have a big PLAY area!

Back to the deer head, I forgot all about the darn thing-heck it's NOT my idea of decor,soon as he saw it he freaked,now he's very nervous & keeps looking up where it was.

Any ideas on how to dispel his fear of the dead deer? It's keeping him from relaxing in the main part of the house!

Thanks! Pati

bubbatd

I was going to post that too, Summer. When I put it up, I had one of the dogs lay down and measure from there. I never had one get tangled.

bubbatd

Get your main line as long as possible.. and high enough that no one will run into it and break their neck !!! Mine was a plastic coated cable line. I had one of those thingys you tighten to make it taught . I bought the chain and had a large clip to attach to the line and a regular clip to the dog. Do get double swivel clips. Mine was from the porch ( attached to the house ) to a big tree..... about 50 yds.

Members online