Well thats one way to test recall...

mrose_s

BusterLove
My movement reactive, goes-like-a-bullet-from-a-gun, exploding brain dog recalled off 5 galloping horses today. :eek:

We were out in the paddocks practicing recalls and playing when one of the horses we're looking after for one of my mums friends decided it was time to go wait by the food gate ASAP from grazing in the bottom of the paddocks. I know Quinn is good with them all and they are all very used to dogs but I don't trust her with them doing anything exciting.
They all came tearing up the laneway about 20m away from us, as they got up to the houseyard above us, Quinn was only pulling on her collar in the direction the horses had come from, she hadn't really even reacted to them despite being held by the collar so I let her go trying to head away from the hoard and take her down the back to play, she ran off and then turned around and started heading off after the horses.
She didn't recall perfectly (I called her a couple of times then started making stupid excited noises) but she did quit what she was doing and come back to me which to me, is EPIC.

I didn't put in enough groundwork on her recall in the early days, combining that with her movment reactivity and I'm beaming with her over this (espeically considering yesterday at herding she called off sheep going flat chat more than once)
Gives me hope, if she can stick with me while there are 5 excited horses around surely we can ger her to the point of sticking with me while other dogs are running around.

Had to share - the 3 months of actual recall work are paying off. And just to prove it, heres a video I took today while we were out. I went right back and trained her recall with her a new cue and a more exact criteria ("here" = return to my side and wait for direction/release) and I'm loving the speed and enthusiasm I'm getting out of her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk12me7AebQ&feature=youtube_gdata

monkeys23

Woohoo, that is awesome! She is so super cute! :)

I was pretty proud of the girlies last night. We were walking around the pastures below the house and Scout spooked about something... well a ewe got herself stuck in the ditch. Never would have seen her if Scout hadn't gotten surprised. So I called them away and took them back home. Really proud of them being so good and not harrassing her because they are very excitable lol. :)
Us humans went back out to pull her out, she was pretty shocky not sure if she will pull through. Dang sheep are so sensitive. :(

Members online

No members online now.