oh gods the noise! help?!

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
jasper is a SCREAMER...
he weighs about a pound and a half right now and im damned neer certain the entire house can hear him screech...
which sucks cause we rent and the last thing i need is the landlord changing their minds...we only have a 3 month "probationary lease" right now...

now i KNOW the basics...
i know not to reward the crying...
and i know im supposed ot just ignore the crying and hell stop and settle...

well...
sometimes he does...
other times not so much.

first night he SCREAMED in his crate for a solid 1/2 hour followed by another 1/2 hour of wimpering...this i expected, first night home ect...
the crate is in our bedroom, hes got a blankie in there that i have slept with for the past 2 weeks and a toy that both me and ruby slept with.
after an hour of fussing though he finally went to sleep.

ysterday we spent some time snuggling...but not too much, dont want to spoil him, so id let him nap on me for a little bit then the next time he started to doze off id put him in the playpen and get done with stuff....
hed wimper for a little bit and then go play or take a nap...
it was only mabe once or twice that hed decide to have a small hissy fit and those would last about 15 mins where he would literally SCREAM at the top of his lungs...

last night he whent to bed in his crate, this time no issues, mabe 3 wimpers or so then out like a light...
this morning...not so much.
at 5:15am he decided it was time to get up and that the entire city needed to knwo about it.

ive never heard such noises come out of anything this tiny...it sounded like someone was torturing a baby...
now working on the premis i have used for every other dog ive owned...ignore it and itll stop...i did, i put the pillow over my head and closed my eyes...
it didnt help...ear and mind peircing...
im thinking "itll stop itll stop..."
at 6:30 my boyfried was ready to toss somehting at him (hes not a dog person already)
i let him go potty then back in the crate (i want him to learn that crying in the crate means one thing...i need to go potty, other than that no crying in the crate...
he kept it up untill 8:30 am when i couldnt take it anymore, literally the first moment he shut up i got him out gave him some luvins then into his playpen so i could go to the bathroom and take ruby out.
he proceded to start screaming again, i took ruby out, whent potty myself and made his breakfast...
he refused to eat and continues screaming while i ate mine...he stopped when i stood to put my bowl in the sink at which point i told him good quiet and picked him up for some luvins. by this point hed pretty much been screaming almost none stop for about 4 hours!

he ran around and played for a while then began to get sleepy and i had to do some dishes so back into the pen...and the screaming started again..
it literally doesnt stop for more than 2-3 seconds...
he only shuts up when i stand up and then if im stood for more than a minute wihtout picking him up it starts again.

i understand hes very young, and very confused and very lost...
but seriously ive never had a puppy cry for 4 hours straight without at least taking a break...and hed continue it for lord knows how long if i didnt stand up...
i cant take it its heart breaking...my boyfrined cant take it, he doesnt have the patients and doesnt love dogs liek i do...
and i dont think the landlord (who lives downstairs) is going to take it.

tonight im going to put his crate directly next to the bed so i can at least put my hand down if he gets screechy...
but beyond that i dont know what to do.
no doesnt work, neither do loudsounds...and th squirt bottle does NOTHING...

when hes out playing and i say no he stops what hes doing and looks at me imediatly...
in the crate/playpen however.

i just took a shower...he screamed the entire time...

right now my head hurts (its been almost all day) ive got my angel ruby next to me asleep and hes lay on my chest out cold...i tried to put him in the playpen, hoping hed tired himself out enough to nap...but no...back to the screeching and the landlord is across the hallway so i just said screw it and hes sleeping on my chest right now.

ive never had a puppy this young...
and ive never had a puppy THIS determined and this mush of a screecher...

HELP!

im trying to do it all right...
but hes not making this even remotly possible.

im not to worried about the bf, if he gives me an ultimatum the dogs come first even though he is the new arrival...
but the landlord...i dont want shane kicked out (us together or not) because of thise little monster.

youhavenoidea

I love my Weimaheiny!
Slade was bad as a baby too. To this day when I crate him to go out, he kicks up a hell of a ruckus (nuisance barking) to voice his displeasure. I'm hoping he'll settle some when he matures and gets out of his "teenager" stage.

As to the puppy stuff - I only crated him for sleep, and if I was going out. The rest of the time he was out, even if he was tethered. Wee one's not going to ever be too impressed to be left out of the action when the rest of the household is up and about. Why in the playpen so much?

I did have him next to my bed in his crate until he was old enough / housebroken enough to be trusted loose overnight. Sticking reassuring fingers down to the crate from time to time did help in my case.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
im def gonna try moving the crate over closer to the bed to see if that helps...
hes in the playpen more right now because 1 hes tiny (and likes to be under foot) and 2 ruby is still very unsure of him right now and shes big enough to do some serious damage even if accidentally...
when im doing something that doesnt require moving round much then hes out and underfoot (literally and hes still too small for a collar...the smallest out there are the lil pals and even there a little big...lol) but for the likes of vaccuming or putting clothes away..he could easily get lost in a paper bag lol.

youhavenoidea

I love my Weimaheiny!
Oh OK. LOL That makes sense. I've never had a puppeh small enough where things like that would be a worry.

*pictures you sucking him up in the vacuum*

In a funny way! In a funny way!

*gigglesnort*

drmom777

Bloody but Unbowed
No, no vacuuming Jasper. What a horrifying thought. Funny though, in a sick sort of way.

I had a four week old puppy once. He cried and cried, so I finally just let him sleep on my chest until he was a little bigger. I thought it would make it impossible to crate train him, but it didn't. I may just have been lucky though.

bubbatd

Feel for you !!! That would drive me nuts !!! Where do the others sleep ??

lizzybeth727

If you want to teach him that crying in the crate = "I need to go potty," then you'll have to take him outside as soon as he starts crying in the crate, not two hours later (which teaches him that crying in the crate for two hours = "I need to go potty").

This is a little-known trick that I think I'd suggest in your case. AS SOON as he starts crying, no matter where he is or what you're doing at the time, jump up and take him outside. This way if he has to go he'll go, and you'll be teaching him that crying = going outside. Pretty soon he'll begin to expect you to come get him as soon as he cries, and that's good. Give it about two weeks. That's a long time, but you want to make sure that it's long enough for him to learn that crying = immediately going outside, AND you want to make sure that he knows to expect you to come let him out as soon as he cries. Eventually, he'll stop "crying" - the emotional, "I'm upset!" crying - and start "talking" - the unemotional, "hey, I want you" crying. THAT'S WHAT YOU WANT. You want him to learn that "hey I want you" WORKS.

(Stick with me here....)

As long as you are responding to him immediately after he starts crying, he will not be crying for very long before he gets what he wants. THAT'S GOOD. So after the two weeks or so of teaching him that crying works, you're going to wait JUST SLIGHTLY LONGER before letting him out when he cries. He's going to cry.... then stop, expecting to see you coming. WHEN HE STOPS, then get up and let him outside/just give him attention. He doesn't have to be quiet for long, but you DON'T want him to "cry.... quiet.... cry again." You want him to just cry a little, then be quiet. Then you can gradually add duration for how long he has to be quiet after he cries before you cater to him. But do it VERY GRADUALLY, you DO NOT want him to start crying again after he's quiet.

This is going to teach him that "cry for a second, then be quiet and be patient = go outside/get attention."

The psychological theory behind this whole method is that behaviors that are regularly and consistently reinfrorced will extinguish faster if the reinforcement stops, than behaviors that are not reinforced from the beginning.

I used this method to train my roommate's cat. This cat learned that yowling at the door = let me outside, so he would yowl at the door for as long as it took someone to get up and let him out. My roommate would not let him out until the yowling got annoying enough, so it would often go on for 30 minutes or more. So while she's gone, I taught the cat that as soon as he starts yowling, I'm going to let him out. I gave that a few weeks to sink in, and then started letting him out as soon as he got quiet. Now, if my roommate's not home, he will simply sit at the door and yowl once, then wait for up to probably 5 or 10 minutes until I get up and let him outside, rather than constant yowling. Who says you can't train cats?!?!

If you do this, be sure to let me know how it goes!

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
lizzy this is actually what i have been doing, the first cry is out to the pad (its still very cold particularly at night and he is aproximatly 6" tall from floor to top of head, we currently have about 10" of snow on the ground right now, so i have a pee pad by the door...
he even wimpers its imediatly to the pad, most times hell fight it for a second but will go after a couple of times of putting him back on the pad...
then after he goes potty its back in the crate and thats where the 2+ hours of straight screeching.
so good to know im doing that part right at least.

Ruby also sleeps in a crate in our bedroom, the crates are not next to eachother because ruby still isnt sure about being next to him for long...the plan is as they get to know each other to put the crates side by side...

what i do with ruby in the mornings is after shane gets up for work i let her out of the crate so she can sleep for another hour or so on the bed with me...so i may do that with jasper too, in the mornings araound that time ill let him out potty (it works out around the 2 hour mark anyway) and then let him spend the extra hour in bed with me...

tonight ill definatly try moving his crate right next to the bed...hopefully that will help...

ive never had a puppy this young, even my 3lber was almost 6 months before he came ot me...and im so worried about screwing him up...but the crying...Ive never heard such horrors!

PoodleMommy

Yorkie Love
Bella was that way too... she would never stop crying... I slept with my hand in her crate for weeks, until she finally just started sleeping in the bed.... we tried everything but she would NOT stop crying... people dont think it can happen, but it can.

Armani was easy, I followed all the rules and so did he... he ended up staying in the crate for at least 6 months.

But Bella just wanted nothing to do with the rules... she is the most well adjusted of our dogs now... really rock solid personality... nothing bothers her... so there is still hope for Jasper!

Hang In there.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
well the good news is last night whent MUCH better...
i moved the crate right next to the bed...
and when he squeeked (not in the i need to go way which ive noticed is very distinct lol) i put my hand down, softly waid Quiet and he shut up, i only heard him squeek mabe 2-3 times and nothing like the horrible howling of the previous morning. we whent to bed about 1am he peed and pooped before hand and it was 8am before i heard his i realy need to pee whine, i checked the crate throguhly, no wet spots, no poop, and he whent straight to the mat and did both...

Sooo much better...

fingers crossed that this continues to work!

Members online

No members online now.