Does a dog REALLY need to fly through the air?!

Scooter

My husband is a paragliding pilot, one of the best in the country. He wants to take our puppy up flying! If you don't know what paragliding is, it's a wing that looks sort of like a parachute which the pilot is attached to in a harness. They actually make harnesses especially for dogs because apparently other jackass paragliders have had the same stupide idea. Zoe would be attached to my husband's harness right in front of him, sort of on his lap. My husband thinks she'll love it- I think he's doing it for himself because HE thinks it'll be fun. And, even if she does love it, which I doubt she will, why even do it? It's not like she knows what she's missing. Her favorite day is laying on the grass eating a stick!

I've told my husband I am against it, want nothing to do with it and if he hurts her I'll never forgive him. Please help me convince him this is a bad idea!

A

Angel Chicken

I think I have heard of it before... lemme look and see if I can find pics...

ETA: I found some :)

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Honestly, that could be VERY frightening to a dog that has not been that high up before, I know my dog would be terrified if she were up that high :(

But, I would never do it. Just my 2 cents.

joce

I've seen video of a dog doing it.

If your dog is the type happy doing anything as long as they were with someone then it may not be all that bad.

my first thought is its dangerous and I woud say no-but I guess if your husband does it then its an acceptable risk in your family. I am a huge worry wort and throw a fit when my family and friends even go on planes:p

I wouldnt do it personally, if she suddenly starts freaking out it could put both her and your husband in danger.

Tell him if he really wants to do stuff with her then he can get involved in some dog sports with her.

A

Angel Chicken

Shoot... I would!

Have you ever seen Kona jump? This girl has scaled a 6 foot fence! She ain't scared of nothin'!

Knowing the two of my dogs, they wouldn't like it at all. I think it depends on your dogs personality. If it feels safe, content & and is trusting of your husband, it would probably be fine. I would just hate to see the dog panic and put the two of them in danger. That would be my only fear.

joce

I say its not that bad simply because I know my corgi would love this-she tries to get her whole body out the car window and loves the wind in her face.

So he can take my dog for practice if it'll make you feel any better:p

Scooter

It's not dangerous in the sense she could be physically hurt- as I mentioned my husband is one of the best, and actually teaches it for a living. I'm just worried she'll be terrified and scarred emotionally. She's a very happy go lucky dog, and has been around him when he's flying, but he hasn't taken her up yet. He promised me if she seems scared he won't take off or if she's scared up there he'll land immediately, but I still don't see the point.

A

Angel Chicken

Well Scoot (Mind if I call you Scoot? I have a few pals named Scooter and I have always called them that), I think he wants to do it because he wants to do something he loves with your pup. Kinda like you play ball with your pup because he/she loves it!

A

Angel Chicken

If he is experienced, I wouldn't try to worry to much. He isn't going to let y'all's baby get hurt!

Rosefern

Well, I wouldn't. Which has probably more to do with the fact that I'm deathly afraid of heights more than anything. I also don't know anyone who paraglides, so my dogs would never get the opportunity. But even if....I don't think I would let them...

There are very few people (I can count them on one hand) that I would trust completely with my dogs. Myself, my dad, my best friend Matt, and one person from our rescue group. It would have been two people from the group, but the second one cannot stand Pepe.

And none of them hangglide, or paraglide, or whatever. So it's kind of a moot point.

-Rosefern

Members online

No members online now.