Peanut & Balance Ball Strengthening Exercises

So I've been pretty lax with the peanut I bought. I've done some work with "Sit pretty" on it but wanted to know if you guys had more exercise ideas for me. I figured it would be a good solution to our houseboundness due to the cold.

So, any ideas? Video's? Articles? I'm looking for anything really from core muscle strengthening, targeted muscles etc.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
I'm going to a workshop on peanut ball stuff on Sunday so I'll report back after that.

I do sits, downs, stands, Turning around left and right, High fives, sit pretty, waving, bows, etc. Also rolling the ball forward to me and backward away from me (back feet on ground, front feet pushing). Lots of stretching. Over the ball with back feet on ground, bows, nose to hips, nose to back feet, stretching head down through front legs.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
I completely forgot about this thread! Pretty much all the stuff I listed is what we did but also covered how to get their bodies used to the ball.

Basically what was recommended was to "bounce" the dog on the ball. So having them laying down at first and putting your hand on them and just gently pushing down and releasing for a couple minutes effectively making them bounce lightly. Then move to stand. If you're having a trouble spot, for instance Izzie's lower back needs work which makes her roach a bit, you can stand them and lightly bounce them from that trouble spot. This works their muscles as they do have to stabilize themselves. Obviously you're not bouncing them like a basketball but its a light thing.

If you can get the "get on the ball two" DVD it's a great help. I'm lucky to have the help of my instructor.

Also the amount of air in your ball can make it easier or more difficult. More air = easier, less air = more difficult.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
Also I would recommend not standing the ball up like that. It could be lead to injuries. They're not meant to have the weight concentrated on the end like that.

I completely forgot about this thread! Pretty much all the stuff I listed is what we did but also covered how to get their bodies used to the ball.

Basically what was recommended was to "bounce" the dog on the ball. So having them laying down at first and putting your hand on them and just gently pushing down and releasing for a couple minutes effectively making them bounce lightly. Then move to stand. If you're having a trouble spot, for instance Izzie's lower back needs work which makes her roach a bit, you can stand them and lightly bounce them from that trouble spot. This works their muscles as they do have to stabilize themselves. Obviously you're not bouncing them like a basketball but its a light thing.

If you can get the "get on the ball two" DVD it's a great help. I'm lucky to have the help of my instructor.

Also the amount of air in your ball can make it easier or more difficult. More air = easier, less air = more difficult.
Very neat! Thanks a ton, a lot of great things to work on!

Also I would recommend not standing the ball up like that. It could be lead to injuries. They're not meant to have the weight concentrated on the end like that.
Thanks for the warning Mandy but I actually had contacted the company awhile back about this and they assured me it was weighted to withstand over 500 lb even on end. I could see what you're saying, which is why I contacted them directly before doing it. Also mentioned it to the PT that comes into the pharmacy I work at and we couldn't see a reason other than the added instability.

It just took me awhile to find something to stabilize it. I had it in the middle of the floor like that for initial training, but for now on it's going to stay more in the corner, supported by both sides to add more safety to it. But I appreciate the concern!

You have a bird, did you know that?
Shai said the same thing, I didn't even notice him screaming!

Members online

No members online now.