Food for a funeral?

Romy

Taxiderpy
So, one of my really good friends' little sister passed away on Monday. It was very unexpected, and she's totally devastated.

Her memorial is on Monday. The ladies at church are banding together to provide food for it so her family doesn't have to worry about it. I signed up to bring a dessert.

Anyway, I asked the lady in charge what to bring and she said something easy to eat with fingers, like cookies or brownies. Thing is, I'm at a loss as to what kind of cookie would be appropriate. For some reason chocolate chip cookies doesn't feel quite right. But then going all out and making some gourmet thing seems kind of weird too.

Does anybody have some guidance? I'd really appreciate it.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
When my grandmother died, we just had all kinds of finger foods. I don't see what's wrong with chocolate chip cookies, I think we had some of those. As well as some oatmeal raisin, etc.

ACooper

I agree with Jess. I've been to enough funeral dinners, and there is really no set theme. I've seen chocolate chip cookies sitting next to a lovely tiramisu......deli fried chicken next to a wonderful home made lasagna.

The point is exactly why you volunteered Romy....to do the only thing you can at a time like this and take daily burdens from those most effected. I'm sure whatever you choose to make will be lovely because it's heart felt :)

Pops2

Chocolate chip cookies are one of the original comfort foods. I think they would be totally appropriate.
Totally agree, at a time like that a nice chocolate chip cookie will bring up positive memories.

Oh goodness...

For Emii's service, well....it's a tradition in alot of Asian cultures to have offerings set out for the deceased - no one touches the food, it's left on the alter/mourning place as a offering. So it's usually the person's favorite foods - in more indulgent cases flowers, books, DVD's, etc. We had her graphic novels/manga, clothes, shoes, trinkets etc - and quite alot of food. All burnt after so she could receive them in the spirit world.

Anything you could manage - not much comes in mind in the way of specifically "appropriate" or mournful cuisine... It's the thought that counts and the fact that you volunteered as Cooper said. So just whatever you can manage/feel comfortable doing - chocolate chip cookies, brownie squares, a loaf of some sort...

Hope your friend will be OK soon.

boneyjean

Stinky Butt
I have a fabulous easy brownie I make. I made them for my mom's funeral and everyone loved them and kept going back for more. They are simple, but a little more special than just plain brownies.

Buy a box of brownie mix and 2-3 large Symphony Bars (Toffee & Almond) depending on whether you make a 8x8 pan or 8x11. I use the Ghirardelli dark chocolate brownie mix. Mix batter according to box directions. Pour half of brownie mix into your pan. Layer the bars across the batter, pour the rest of the batter on top. Cook according to brownie box directions.

With the brownie mix I use, these are so rich that you can cut them into really small squares and they will go a long way, even out of an 8 x 8 pan.

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
Nobody will think that chocolate chip cookies are inappropriate. As was noted, it's a great comfort food.

There is also nothing wrong with making something that you know the deceased would have liked. The funeral and the reception following the funeral or for the living. The loved ones all gather to grieve and share memories of the deceased. A familiar dessert can be quite comforting.

I've been to over many funerals in my time on this earth. Never once have I thought or heard anyone comment that a particular dessert was inappropriate.

My thoughts and prayers go out for the family here. Losing a young person is devastating, especially suddenly. Be there for your friend. Remember that despite your innate desire to "do something" for her, often just "being there" is the best medicine. You are a "human being", not a "human doing". Hugs for you!

milos_mommy

I think chocolate chip cookies are appropriate. We had them at my grandpa's funeral when I was six, and oddly, I still remember them. We also had italian cookies, that I assume someone bought at a store.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
I agree with all of the other comments. For my Granddad's celebration of life we had a buffet of his favorite foods which people really seemed to enjoy. It was random, but there was apple cake, peanut brittle, veggies, and fig newtons.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Thanks guys! I'll go with chocolate chip then. I've never really paid attention to the food at funerals so wasn't really sure what was most appropriate.

Members online

No members online now.