Stray dogs.

Doggle

Hi!
I don't know if this is the right place to put this, but it said "Chat about behavior problems" and a buncha dogs near me have them. As of late, three dogs have been jumping over my fence and into my garden to get to my cats. They already chased Swabby away(Nearly bit him!) and if he doesn't come back I don't know what I'll do (to those dogs, at least!)! :( They've killed and chased nearly all my cats! From 11 cats down to 2!
I was hoping to find a way to teach them to keep them out of my yard.
Now, I don't have anything against dogs, I really love them. Mostly I like those little curly-haired dogs, Yorkshire Terriers. They're cute and aren't too big. I like dogs, but am rather scared of big ones. Anyway, I've tried to kill them using various methods(You have to draw a line somewhere and they passed it!), I even shot one with an arrow, but it bounced off the bugger! I've called the pound a countless number of times and it took the 2months to reply and three weeks to work up the will to get here, and then they said "Well, we didn't see any dogs, so call us when they're actually in sight." and when we did, they didn't come! And now they've killed most of my cats and two goats and nothings been done about them!
Does anyone have any idea of what I could do to get rid of them? Or discourage them from getting into my garden? It's not that my fence is low, it's pretty high, but a land next to me, owned by someone-or-other, is a lot higher and has no fences, so stray dogs get into my garden from there and the fence is too high for them to get out.
Help would be much appreciated.
Also I'd like you to know that the stray dog I hit with the arrow was not injured in any way. It just yelped and walked off, fine as a fiddle. I guess I was to far away. Those dogs are HUGE!
By the way, I live in Asia and there is no animal control and nobody cares.

mrose_s

BusterLove
Hmm, okay. i've lived places with a pretty bad stary dog population but none of them ever had an issue with cats.

Do your cats stay in your yard? I would do one of 2 things, either build a run for your cats that connects to the house, is nice and big, built into concrete int eh ground, has steel mesh and nesh over the top aswell.
Or I would be running electric tape across the top and bottom of my fence.

Don't shoot them with arrows, if you actually do hit one and hurt it but not kill it, chances are it will be wandering around in pain and could die a much worse way.

Boemy

Well, that situation utterly sucks.

Does animal control or any other area around you loan out or rent large humane traps? Maybe you could bait them with meat and catch the dogs. If you were able to catch them, would animal control come out and take them?

I hate to say it, but . . . if animal control is unwilling or unable to help, your best option is probably to shoot them (with a gun, not an arrow.) Check your local laws first, of course. But feral dogs are dangerous and since they're coming on to YOUR property destroying YOUR pets and livestock, I would be surprised if it were illegal to shoot them.

Also, you might check and see how prevalent rabies is around your area. Not that these dogs are acting rabid from the sounds of things, but if rabies IS a problem in the area, be extra extra careful about not getting in close contact with the dogs.

Doggle

My cats are outdoor cats, seeing as we have them to get rid of mice and such. They even kill small snakes, which is why I really can't do anything with the fence. They, my cats, that is, like to go out and hunt at night in our neighbors yards and surrounding clumps of trees, so if I were to do anything to the fences they'd get caught in it, and they used to be strays so when I keep them inside they get rather irritated and and hyper.
Not to worry, though, I probably won't be shooting the dogs with arrows again, since it doesn't seem to work. X_X
Though, the idea about the traps is a good one. I'll have to ask about them. And see if anyone will take the dogs. I once heard about a bunch of dog lovers who take strays...
I think it'll probably be better then killing them. I admit I tried to kill them, but desperate times call for desperate measures. My cat recently got kittens and I really don't want anything to happen to them. They've only just started trying to walk.
I haven't herd of any cases of rabies in my area, if there was, almost all the people living nearby would probably be in an uproar. They do that. '_'

Thanks for replying.

Is there anyway you can make the part of the fence you said they get in at MUCH taller? Possibly put barbed wire, or mesh along the top? And to make sure your cats stay in your yard, you can curve the wire mesh into a "U" shape, and staple or nail it to the fence...and that way your cat's can't get out, and with the barbed wire the dogs cannot get in.

And just for information, do people generally spay and neuter cats in your area? If so it would be a good idea. Not just so they don't breed..but it will also make your cats not want to wander. Intact cats (ESPECIALLY males) are known to leave their homes and wander off in search of cats to mate with.

Also, for the protection of those kittens, it would be best if you could bring them inside with their momma..that way they can also get used to being indoors, and possibly STAY indoors.

Sch3Dana

Workin' Dog
A better solution than killing them may be an electric fence, like the ones used to contain livestock. You'd want to run it so that the cats couldn't touch it as they jumped the fence, but that the dogs were likely to hit it before they made it over (to scare them away). I don't know if this is possible, but it might work.

Members online

No members online now.