Breeding ?

Now I have never bred a dog and have no intentions of doing so, but I do have a question. It seems to me that I always hear about the female being flown or taken to the male for the breeding. What happens afterwards? Not the mating itself, but once that is complete. Does the female fly home, possibly pregnant, or does the owner of the stud keep the female until birth?
Why is the stud not brought to the female? It would seem to be easier that way.
I know this is probably a silly question, but I've always been curious.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Males are usually more successful in breeding on their own turf. They feel strong and confident when they know it's their territory, which makes for more likely success.

I have never had a problem. Yes usually the female would go to the stud but I do not allow this unless im there. The studs have always come to my females and have always bred just fine.

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
When he had our stud Sheltie (yes he was titled, yes he was tested, yes he was proven, yes he was well known in the Sheltie ring :)) all the females would travel to him. Several breedings would occur and then the female would be taken back to her owner for them to do the whelping.

Same with horses, the mare is always brought to the stallion.
you pay for the stud services and the stabling costs etc

wolfsoul

I Love My Belgian
Usually the female is taken to the male --- they can either let them breed and then have the female sent back, or sometimes the owner will "lease out" the female and the stud owner will keep her until after the birth and until the puppies are old enough. When a female is leased, it is usually for the litter, and the female's owner would get something in return (unless the stud owner was the female's breeder and stipulated in the contract that she gets to lease the female).

Visa was sent to Alberta to be bred almost a month ago and is coming back tomorrow. One day I would like to have a female leased to me to breed to Visa's son, so that I can feed her raw during pregnancy and have the puppies in my kennel name.

The problem with sending a male is that he is not always comfortable breeding outside of his territory, and the problem with sending a female to be bred is that the stress can send her back in her heat (like what happened to Visa) and the trip back may too stressful enough to cause her to abort the puppies.

R

RedyreRottweilers

Male dogs usually stand at one location. Bitches are sent to the dog because some male dogs are bred to multiple bitches, or numerous ones if they are excellent producers.

The bitch is sent to the dog, bred, and then returned to her owner.

bubbatd

I've done it both ways.... but my males were happier to have the female come to them. That way I could keep my eye on the female during her heat , keep her safely kenneled and watch for the right time. I had one female in for 2 weeks.... she wouldn't accept until the owner came to take her home. She was nailed on her way to the car.... 21st day ! You never know !!

bubbatd said:
She was nailed on her way to the car.... 21st day ! You never know !!
bubbatd -You're just too funny, you put it so delecately.;)
:D I needed a good belly laugh tonight..and I just got one.:D

RD

Are you dead yet?
If I had a stud dog, I would not dare send him away to breed. Unless I could be present at all times, who knows what the people would do while in posession of my stud? They *say* they are only breeding him to one approved bitch, but what if they breed him to 3-4 others that I've never seen?
Basically, I don't trust people that much. In the future if somebody wants to use one of my studs, I will require either that their bitch be shipped to me, or that I be present at all times if my stud is brought to their residence.

bubbatd

dr2... the funny thing was it happened so quickly and the dam was so happy she lead my poor male to the front door still tied.! Poor Bushwacker !!

LizzieCollie

Collie Crazy
RD said:
If I had a stud dog, I would not dare send him away to breed. Unless I could be present at all times, who knows what the people would do while in posession of my stud? They *say* they are only breeding him to one approved bitch, but what if they breed him to 3-4 others that I've never seen?

I definately see your point but some people are just as hesitant to let their female go to the studs homw. What if the breeder doesnt breed to the stud you chose? What if the female accidentaly breeds to a different stud or a mixed breed dog and the studs owner says nothing?

R

RedyreRottweilers

I would never send my bitch away to a stud dog without a signed contract stating who the bitch is to be bred to, and without said stud dog's DNA on file with the AKC so that is can be PROVEN who the bitch was bred to.

People who stand good dogs who are titled generally understand how to handle bitches who are visiting for breeding.

In the dog world, bitches are almost ALWAYS sent to the stud dog for breeding.

lakotasong

Sled Dog Guardian
LizzieCollie said:
I definately see your point but some people are just as hesitant to let their female go to the studs homw. What if the breeder doesnt breed to the stud you chose? What if the female accidentaly breeds to a different stud or a mixed breed dog and the studs owner says nothing?
Then you should have done your homework better when picking out a stud dog owner.

Thank you all for your replies. I had never considered that a male might be nervous, I rather assumed they were like the males I go to college with, ready any time, any place.

RD

Are you dead yet?
LizzieCollie said:
Why are you always so harsh? Ive never seen you add helpful information without being rude about it :mad:
She isn't harsh, Lizzie. It's the internet, it's best to avoid interpreting honesty as rudeness. Not everything is going to be sugar coated. ;) I agree with her.

I've never gone through the process of breeding, but if I were to allow someone to use one of my future dogs, there would be a strict contract involved and I would be happy to allow them to "check me out" to make sure I am honest and responsible. I would want to do my research on a particular breeder before sending a bitch of mine to them, too.

bubbatd

Lord... if you don't trust the owner of the male to breed the right male, I agree !! Don't go there ! That's another puppy mill !

Members online

No members online now.