Things that aren't as easy as they used to be

Doberluv

The older you get, the easier it is to injure yourself. Going on hikes is one thing, I have a few relatives in their 90's that still go on hikes, but they wouldn't do downhill skiing like they did when they were younger.
My father is one reason why I didn't replace my diving board on my pool when it broke. In his 70's he would go off it and do flips. His head was getting closer and closer to the edge and it was making me nervous. Between him and 3 teenagers I said I was going to give myself some peace and not replace it. He also tore something on the back of his heel playing basketball. His body just doesn't stretch the way it used to.

Now If I could keep him out of trees or off the top of my roof, I'd feel safer. He just had a couple stents put in his heart less than 2 weeks ago and I came home from work on Friday and he was outside chopping wood:yikes:.
I told him the Dr said take it easy for awhile and he said if I take it any easier I might as well be dead. In his mind he isn't 78, he is 35. I guess I'd rather that than the opposite but he does make me nervous some of the things he does when I'm not home. I told him if you insist on doing dangerous stuff at least do it when someones home to help if you need it. It goes in one ear and out the other.

Oh wow Linda! He sounds very trying. It is scary. My Mom is just about to turn 90 (in April) and there's no way she could go hiking. She is quite thin and fragile but still able to get around....very slowly. And I lost my Dad at age 92 not long ago. But up until he got very sick, he was walking 3 miles a day. That's a lot! My Mom had a mild stroke and hasn't been able to go on those long walks for some time. But what's amazing is both of their minds were and are good and sharp. I know what you mean though...when I lived in Idaho, just recently, and I had to climb up on my roof to shovel snow, everyone said to let someone know because if I fell or got knocked out, no one would notice I was missing and wouldn't find me until spring. :rofl1: Or when I'd go hiking by myself, a bear could eat me and no one would know. I never told anyone where I was going and all that. I just went. Of course, they'd probably see my car parked at the base of the trail on those hikes where I had to drive a couple miles from my house. But yeah, it is wise to let someone know and for your Dad to wait till someone is around to do dangerous stuff.

Puckstop31

Super-Genius
Alligator wrestling.
OK, perhaps I should add some details. :rofl1:

I am going to a conference in SEATTLE. The subject matter of said conference is internet security. Alligator wrestling will probably get me assailed for various, probably obvious reasons. It would be a low point in life for me to get ridiculed by...nerds. Ya know? I am a Hi-Tech redneck, but will still be WAY out of my comfort zone in a place like Seattle.

LOL

I'm still open to suggestions. :)

LindaJD

My dad always says if we do find him dead in the yard to just remember he had a good life. I told him the yard is one thing, the shower another!

yoko

Well now I have to plan a trip to MO. :O

And I agree you don't have to be old to have to slow down. I can run in sprints for short periods of time but I hurt my knee when I was in middle school and when the weather changes I just can't do as much as anyone else my age. I'm 25 now :(

Doberluv

OK, perhaps I should add some details. :rofl1:

I am going to a conference in SEATTLE. The subject matter of said conference is internet security. Alligator wrestling will probably get me assailed for various, probably obvious reasons. It would be a low point in life for me to get ridiculed by...nerds. Ya know? I am a Hi-Tech redneck, but will still be WAY out of my comfort zone in a place like Seattle.

LOL

I'm still open to suggestions. :)
Why do you think you'll be way out of your comfort zone in Seattle? Tell me. I'm not sure what you mean or why you say that. I might be able to put your mind at ease.

Oh, and as far as carrying luggage, do you think a big back pack would work? Then you'd have your hands somewhat free except when loading it on and off your back. lol. No telling what the TSA will do though. Those crutches ya know....mighty suspicious.

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
Why do you think you'll be way out of your comfort zone in Seattle? Tell me. I'm not sure what you mean or why you say that. I might be able to put your mind at ease.

Oh, and as far as carrying luggage, do you think a big back pack would work? Then you'd have your hands somewhat free except when loading it on and off your back. lol. No telling what the TSA will do though. Those crutches ya know....mighty suspicious.
Isn't a crutch a dual-use item? It would be perfect for bludgeoning everyone to the plane to death so that you crash it into the space needle. Or not.

Miakoda

I must add.. mad respect for moms who aren't afraid to run around and play and be silly with their kids (even if it means getting a wee bit dirty lol)

I love my parents, but that's one thing I would change as far as how I was raised. Play (like outside games, hide and seek, etc..) was more of a "kid thing" children did with other kids, toys, pets etc.. and I remember really wishing my mom would play with me at the park instead of just keeping an eye on me while she read her book or got work done
That is the sole reason for me being an undomestic goddess. LOL! I would much rather play monster trucks or go outside and play hide-and-seek and play on the jungle gym.

It's so weird to be this age. I don't feel like I'm in my thirties. Mentally, I feel about 23. I almost had my first heart attack when I realized 40 was going to be here in the not-to-distant future. O_O I'm not one of those people who despises aging or is afraid of it, I'm just confused because my mental age is younger than my physical age (if all that makes sense :p ).

One thing I miss doing is training/breaking horses. I canNOT afford a broken arm or leg, much less back or neck. And let's face it-we don't bounce like we used to.

Puckstop31

Super-Genius

Well, most of all.... Its a BIG city. BIG city people live there. I can't stand big cities. Something in me just cannot trust people who want to live that close to each other. Plus, well, you know... LOL I am a redneck who wears a camo hat and kills deer. I reckon I won't fit in. You basic sterotyping stuff, only in reverse this time.

(I can't bring my gun. A place that tells me a law abiding citizen cannot defend their life bothers me. AFAIK, Washington State does not have a CCW reciprocity law. I know that I will likely not face a threat... Its the whole idea...)

And yes, I will be forced to deal with the TSA. Nuff said.

ETA: AND I will be 3000 miles away from the people who I love the most. I have faith that they will be taken care of, but I will miss them. It will be the longest I have been away from Hannah in many years.

Puckstop31

Super-Genius
Isn't a crutch a dual-use item? It would be perfect for bludgeoning everyone to the plane to death so that you crash it into the space needle. Or not.
But, they will force me to put them in an overhead bin. How would my crippled ass get to them if I need them for such a reason? * :)

"SAFETY FIRST" ya know. LOL

* This arguement could be used against a bunch of INSANE anti-gun laws, but I digress and do not want to hijack.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Well, most of all.... Its a BIG city. BIG city people live there. I can't stand big cities. Something in me just cannot trust people who want to live that close to each other. Plus, well, you know... LOL I am a redneck who wears a camo hat and kills deer. I reckon I won't fit in. You basic sterotyping stuff, only in reverse this time.

(I can't bring my gun. A place that tells me a law abiding citizen cannot defend their life bothers me. AFAIK, Washington State does not have a CCW reciprocity law. I know that I will likely not face a threat... Its the whole idea...)

ETA: AND I will be 3000 miles away from the people who I love the most. I have faith that they will be taken care of, but I will miss them. It will be the longest I have been away from Hannah in many years.
You'll be okay. A heck of a lot of millionaires walk around seattle wearing plaid wool shirts and grungy ripped up jeans. It's like, hmm, is that guy a millionaire or a homeless person? You'll never know. :p

Plenty of Seattleites kill deer or are fond of relatives who disperse venison. I mean, there's a Cabelas an hour south and really only downtown feels like a big city. The rest is a lot of sprawled out neighborhoods with gigantic greenbelts and trees. The area I lived in had Discovery Park, which was half as big as the residential area and had bears and sometimes cougar (and it's right smack in the middle of Seattle too). I think you'll be pleasantly surprised anyway. There's a lot more forest than you'd imagine inside and around the city and there's a lot of outdoor recreational stuff you can go do within an hour or two drive.

Doberluv

What does this mean? You can defend yourself with a gun and can carry a concealed weapon with a permit and carry a non-concealed weapon without a permit. Washington has similar self defense laws, I believe, as Idaho. I looked them up once some time ago. When we meet up, do you want me to come packin'? I'll protect you. LOL.

Anyhow, that aside, Seattle doesn't feel like a big city really. And remember, I've been in one of the last pristine wilderness areas in the country for the past 10 years...Priest Lake, Id. I had acreage and was quite isolated, which finally got to me. But I did love being by myself for a few years. I am now enjoying some friendly neighbors who are quiet as church mice and a nice feeling living close to them. (never thought I would) Of course, I'm not in Seattle, but up north. Today was nice weather and people were out in their yards. When I walked with the dogs, I got a chance to chat with several of my neighbors....all very nice and I really love the feeling of that security, now that I'm an old woman :p living alone.

People around here are VERY casual. No one dresses up. It's perfectly normal to go to a nice restaurant or even the opera house and see people in jeans and boat shoes. People come in off the beach or off their boats, wearing those kinds of clothes and hiking clothes, exercise clothes...you name it. I tell you, no one cares about stuff like that, which I find to be very easy to live with. Seattle is a VERY diverse city, being a port city. I think if you are a redneck, (lol) you'll fit in just fine. If you take a walk on Capitol Hill in Seattle, you'd be amazed at all the funky people....all kinds. No one cares a hoot what anyone looks like. I kid you not. And if they do, who cares? Was that some kind of oxymoron? :p

With camo and hunting, you'll fit in perfectly. There are so many wilderness areas and hunting and fishing is big around here...hiking, skiing, water sports. People might live in the city, but that doesn't mean they don't take off on week ends to do these things. The mountains are VERY close. You don't have to drive far at all to get into the country. Seattle is squished in between the rugged Cascades and Olympic mountains. There are islands all over Puget Sound that are very countryish. There's Cabelas, REI, Eddie Bauer...all kinds of sports places. So, in other words, you'll fit in just fine with the Seattle "flavor." If anyone is trying to be overly sophisticated, they're the ones who are out of place.

Seattle seems to be very, very dog friendly. Everyone loves dogs. Where my daughter lives in west Seattle, across from Elliot Bay, it's almost like you're in a small town....very nice atmosphere. Anyhow, I don't know how friendly Seattle people are. They use to be very friendly and it was known as the "friendly" city. But lately, I've kind of noticed it's not really. But Emily and I have fun going into down town Seattle when I go visit her and we hit the Irish pubs and karaoke bars...people are always friendly and fun in those kinds of places. We walk around at night and feel relatively safe. Of course, we stay clear of the bad parts. You'll be staying in a fairly tame area. (I think....I don't know that much I guess about it, but Emily will know) And you'll only be here for a short while, right? You'll be fine. I hope you have fun. Think of it as a big adventure. :)

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
all I have to say today is

OUCHHHHHHHH

LOL I'm hurting. We had fun ice skating yesterday and I didn't fall once lol. then we came home and I decided to help Hannah practice her backwards rolls lol. turns out I can still do those hahaha.

but yeah... today my body has betrayed me :p I'm out of shape.

Puckstop31

Super-Genius
What does this mean? You can defend yourself with a gun and can carry a concealed weapon with a permit and carry a non-concealed weapon without a permit. Washington has similar self defense laws, I believe, as Idaho. I looked them up once some time ago. When we meet up, do you want me to come packin'? I'll protect you. LOL.
It means that my PA CCW would be valid in WA. I doubt it is.

Thank you, but no. I was just being silly. LOL I am not worried, for a bunch of reasons.

<snip>

Dober, you should work for the Seattle Tourism department. :)

I get that it might not "feel" like a big city. But it is. To me, its just not natural for that many people to live so close together. I am sure its just some sill phobia of mine, but it is what it is. LOL

This all said... I have a feeling that God has something in mind for me on this trip. We will see what comes I suppose. :)

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Fitting into clothes!!!! I wobble in places I never used to 10yrs ago, even if I'm in the same size clothes!

Doberluv

It means that my PA CCW would be valid in WA. I doubt it is.

Thank you, but no. I was just being silly. LOL I am not worried, for a bunch of reasons.

<snip>

Dober, you should work for the Seattle Tourism department. :)

I get that it might not "feel" like a big city. But it is. To me, its just not natural for that many people to live so close together. I am sure its just some sill phobia of mine, but it is what it is. LOL

This all said... I have a feeling that God has something in mind for me on this trip. We will see what comes I suppose. :)
Oh yeah, those things are usually not good in other states, which is ridiculous. They interfere so that people won't carry guns when they travel because it's too much trouble and expense to get permits for every state they'll be in. Well, some states have reciprocity of other states. Here's something to look at: I didn't realize that in some states, you can't even have a cw permit at all. How is that possible? I'd carry one anyway if I wanted to. That's completely unconstitutional! http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

Dober, you should work for the Seattle Tourism department.
LOL. I know....I've been told I could sell ice to the Eskimos.:p When I worked for the Seattle Times, selling subscriptions door to door, I won top sales person of the month a couple of times...out of all the branch offices and earned some treasury bonds and a Seattle Times coat. LOL. I made a ton of money in a short amount of time.... and then got a promotion to be the sales team trainer and took care of the mapping/planning and money handling. When I worked as a pharmacy assistant, I had to unload drugs that we no longer had patients for before they'd expire. Some were VERY expensive, thousands... so I would call all the other Bartell Drugs stores in Washington and try to sell those to those pharmacies. Some of them didn't need them, didn't have patients who used them, but they wound up buying them anyway. :rofl1: The pharmacist I worked under really liked me. :p LOL.

To me, its just not natural for that many people to live so close together. I am sure its just some sill phobia of mine, but it is what it is. LOL
But, but, but...doncha know...we're pack animals. It is natural to live in groups....maybe not this close though. I don't know....I think it's personal preference I guess. I use to HATE the idea of close neighbors. I mean, really hate it and I loved where I lived in Idaho and even before that in Washington when I lived on acreage. But now, I'm totally into having close neighbors...really enjoyed visiting with them yesterday. I think I'm very sociable when I'm being sociable. That must be it....I guess. ;) But I'd also hate to live right smack dab in the city, especially one as big as Seattle. I wouldn't like the noise and all the commotion and being that close to people every second of the day...wouldn't like it at all. (But it is a fun place to visit.) That's why I am in the suburbs....close neighbors, but it's very quiet here in this neighborhood. I don't hear a sound at night but the frogs and sometimes coyotes. There's space around and lots of countryish areas. It's as quiet as it was at my place in Idaho except for a little "white" noise way off in the distance from the freeway but that's like 5 miles away or so.

Well anyhow, you won't have to live here. It's just for a few days, isn't it? If you want to do anything besides go out for dinner, like see something interesting, like the aquarium or the underground Seattle tour (That is FANTASTIC)...I can show you those things. But they'd be during the day and you're probably going to be in that conference.

We sure are off the topic of this thread, huh. Sorry Sparks. Hey, let's put it this way: Not only do some of us not have the same resilience physically as we get older, but I think we start getting set in our ways. I use to hear "old" people say that and wondered what in the world do they mean. Now, I'm beginning to understand that comfort of a routine and sticking to the way I've been doing something for a long time. So, it appears that some of that mental or emotional resilience is lost along the way a little bit too. On the other hand....some kind of resilience is gained. I feel like I've become more patient than I use to be or possessing of a little more fortitude in some ways.

Well, Puckstop...I think that's a good attitude, that God has something special for you on your visit...maybe some kind of new-found insight about something. Who knows? But fear not. You'll be safe. ;)

Members online