First few days of puppy bliss..

WhittyB958

Enjoying the puppy life!
Well, I knew it was too good to be true. The first three days of him being at home he went on the puppy pads every time.

Yesterday- he had around 3-4 accidents! I was able to catch him and put him on the pads a few times.. but one or two of the times he just sat down next to me and then got up and he had peed. It didn't even look like he was squatting. Little sh*@. We keep catching him and moving him to the pad. Not sure why he went from going reliably and now not thinking about it- but we are on him. He will eventually get it. I had a puppy cleaner with the zinc enyme (i think) to help with the smell so he doesn't continue to go on the carpet.

We took Bruce to the puppy vet yesterday. Let me say- that I am THRILLED to have found this vet. He was SO nice and really knowledgeable. Brucey got his second set of shots- and he was NOT happy about it. He had the pathetic look on his face and boy did he try to basically MERGE INTO ME. He was pushing his body up against me SO CLOSELY.... it was very sweet.

When we got home, he had the major zoomies! He was going nuts and it was lots of fun to watch.

My fiance stayed home from work yesterday and today. He sent me this picture while I was at work to get through my day faster...

I've been doing clicker training with him- and he gets that the click= a treat. Yesterday I worked on his name. He is ALMOST there. He will look at me 80% of the time when I say "Bruce!".

I just wanted to give an update. Does anyone have any thoughts about the puppy pads- and why he is now choosing other spots than the pads? He isn't going in the SAME spots- so its not like he smells the urine and goes back to the area. We have been cleaning them pretty well.

Barb04

Super Moderator
If you're using pads instead of taking him outside, do what you would if you were training him to go potty outside. Take him over to the pads every 2 hours, after eating, after drinking, after napping, etc. He's still learning.

Nature's Miracle cleaner works great in getting out the urine smell. Is it possible the cleaner you're using isn't working?

Kayla

My friend was living in an apartment at the time she adopted her puppy and had a lot of success with clicker training her puppy to use the pad. Since you've already started conditioning the clicker to mean food is coming, and your working on teaching her to respond to a name, now would be a great time to start.

Keep in mind that young puppies may need to go as often as every 10-15 miniutes after drinking and playing. By being vigiliant now, you can make house training go smoothly.

My friend incoporated x-pens into her daily life with her pup, as she works from home and would need 3-4 hours a day without puppy supervision time. During that time she had an x-pen set up with the pee pad, toys, water and a bed.

When my friend was working on clicker training with the pee pad, she made a habit for the first 4 months of her puppies life to always have a clicker and treat pouch on that she wore anytime she was at home. Anytime she saw her pup use the pee pad she'd click just as her puppy was finishing up (she found that if she clicked earlier her puppy would get distracted and walk over to get food) and would move towards her puppy to feed her on the pee pad.

As early as 3 months when hanging out and playing with her puppy, Tiger would stop playing with us, run across the room to her pee pad and go to the bathroom. She transitioned well to eventually only going outside and my friend really changed my opinion of using pee pads as I had previously thought it might complicate things.
P.s your puppy is sooo cute!

Members online

No members online now.