The bandog vs the Dogo Argentine

This is so I dont hijack another thread.

Cane Corso are NOT "bandogs".

Bandogs are cross breds bred for performance NOT sold as desginer breeds but as working dogs.
They have been around for centuries but they are NOT bred pure to pure other wise they would NOT be a Bandog.
Crossbreeding is essential to have a "bandog" thus the Dogo Argentine today and the Cane Corso are NO longer "Bandogs"

Great Bandog link

http://bandogmastiffs.blogspot.com/

Search of the Ultimate Working Dog (Part III)
The Exotics: Of Bandogs and Dogos
by John DiStano

This will be the last installment on our series of breed comparisons. So unless any of our readers write in and want to see certain match-ups, this will be it. I've received a lot of positive feedback on the previous two, and hopefully we've all learned a great deal about not only training, but choosing a particular dog to fit our needs. This one should be especially interesting, due to the fact that these two breeds are relatively unknown to not only professionals in the field, but to the general public.

In the early 60's an American veterinarian by the name of Dr. John Swinford set out to develop the ultimate working/combat dog. He began crossing the APBT with the Neapolitan Mastiff, and the finished product was to be known as the Bandog. Unfortunately, Swinford died at an early age, and his creation was never really perfected. I was lucky enough to locate a serious modern day Bandog breeder who was willing to talk about this rare breed, and hopefully put to rest some of the myths surrounding them.

Also known as the American Mastiff or American Bandogge Mastiff (ABM), there have also been attempts at crossing the pit bull with an English mastiff and even the Bullmastiff. So in addition to our usual topics, we will find out if the ABM's breed true, and which crosses have been more successful and why.

On the other side of the world in the 1920's, Dr. Antonio Nores Martinez and his brother Augustin also set out to develop the supreme hunting/working dog. It was to be used on the most dangerous game, such as wild boar, the puma and the mountain lion. As a base, they used the Cordoba fighting dog, which was produced by crossing the Spanish mastiff and an old time fighting bulldog. Then they gradually blended in 9 other breeds to suit their purposes: Pointer to increase scenting ability, Boxer for intelligence and trainability, Great Dane for size, Bull Terrier for fearlessness, Bulldog for chest width and valor, Irish Wolfhound for hunting instinct and speed, Dogue de Bordeaux for jaw strength, Great Pyrenees for size and white coat, and Spanish Mastiff for power. The finished product, known as the Dogo Argentino, took 27 years to perfect. In addition to being a supreme hunter, he also wanted the Dogo to be unsurpassed as a family guard/protection dog. Although many European and American breeds would bark, lunge and even bite an intruder, he wanted a breed that would give its life, fight to the death if need be, for its master. This quality, he felt, was lacking if not totally absent in any other working breed of that time. We will examine this fine breed, see how it measures up to our tough standards, and find out why not one, but both of our interview subjects would love to keep these exotic breeds in the "rare breed" category.

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
Thank you for posting that. I've always been interested in Bandogs, but I have never been able to find anything that really thoroughly explains what they are, could consist of, or what they're bred for, without really confusing me!

Are there any crosses that are specifically veered away from in the Bandog community?

Well many combo's ive heard of have failed.
Especially when someone breeds a reg breed non mastiffmolosser breed .

Also reg mixes like Anatolian Shepherd X Mastiff are NOT bandogs
They are just mutts or in some cases maybe someone is trying to create a new breed.

So most success ive heard comes from Pit x any number of crosses
Rottie-Mastiff-Bullmastiff-Dane-DDBX-Neo-DC-CC etc.
Plus the Dovovan is a Dobe cross bred only for performance.

What ive heard from Bandog people at trials ive attended.

The TRUE failure of a bandog is the non ability to WORK and PROTECT.

Im working at the shelter today so thats the best I can do quick.

PS I do not agree on mixing breeds or designer breeds .
But Bandogs WORKING Bandogs have been around much longer than most breeds we know of today.

Barb04

Super Moderator
Planet Molosser, when you say "They have been around for centuries but they are NOT bred pure to pure other wise they would NOT be a Bandog.", do you mean you can't breed a bandog to a bandog once the bandog is established from a mix (i.e. pit x neapolitan)?

I may be reading your statement wrong as I know Thunderdome's and also Lucero's bandogs are bread bandog to bandog since I have one from each of them.

Thanks for the claificaiton.

Yes, long time ago they tried to create a purebred Bandog meaning lets take Pit X Mastiff breed enougb Pit X Mastiff to create for ex "American Mastiffs
then CLOSE the stud book to cross breeding would result in a Purebred once bred 3 geneation of like to like.

However according to the many books ive read they LOSE the performance of the Pit bull or Bulldogs once they stop crossing. The Mastiff or the Rottie or the Neo seems to absorb the genetics of the Pit type dogs into what ever breed they are mixed with.

So in order to maintain Drive power they have to mix Pit or Bulldog in every generation or every other generation. Some prefer Bulldogs, etc.

Regarding those you mention they too have infusion of other breeds.
Some of which are on their sites whether they decide to ID them as Neo this or DDBX that is up to them. But either way you can tell they are NOT dominos in breed type color or size . Thus if they created a line than one line looks like Neos this and the other looks like American bulldog that.

No good bandog breeder is ever going to turn down a chance to breed a dog that comes along no matter the breed Pit Mastiff Neo etc.
They would welcome the infusion of new blood as long as it was a power house... However breeders are breeders some may want their name on the line vs outcrossing to a different established kennel- some maybe not

The books state that they have been mixing small terriers ( that were used in the creation of the Pit Bull terrier) to Big Dogs of War used in Gladaitor times in order to get a BIGGER Gamer dog.

Again for the young folk NO one should EVER consider crossing any breed of dog let alone the ones I mention. The only Bandog breeders I know that are legit are working dogs in pure performance NEVER as pets and are experts in the breeds they MIX BEFORE they MIX.

Great Bandogs are not backyard bred dogs they are many generations of selection of the best working power house of each breed.
They cull hard, they dont breed to fill a fancy they breed for themselves first having a need or a working dog.

Out of maybe 10 people claming to bred Bandogs maybe 2 -3 are legit.
And the best ones are NOT online chatting on Molosser boards.
They are out WORKING and Taking care of the dogs.
Breeders who have to market dogs on pet boards are not the ones to go to be it Bandog or Molosser.

Hope that helps :)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.