Vet love - I has it, does you?

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
I LOVE my vet.

My first visit with Keeva he was super cool about me doing some of my own vaccs, supportive of feeding raw, and fine with me keeping Keeva intact. The clinic takes uber detailed notes about your dog's lifestyle in order to provide the most customized care. You also have online access to all your pets records.

When I took my cat, they were equally awesome. Gus needed a urine sample drawn, and the techs tried to take him out of the room because I guess most owners are squeamish about seeing their cat stuck through the side, but the Dr. remembered me and said, "It's fine, Emily doesn't care." LOL

My roomie just brought her dog, and when she said, "Yeah, he actually lives with Keeva the corgi, if you can believe it!" he was like, "Oh I LOVE that dog! Has she had her first heat yet? How's her training coming?" :D I just love that he not only remembered us immediately but remember so much about her.

So, I has vet love. Do you? I know sometimes the dog community is hard on vets, about nutrition, vaccinations, altering, etc. So this is thread is here so we can talk about the vets we love and why!

GO!

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Hell yes I do!

They are amazing. Super expensive, but I don't even care because they fully support raw feeding, and don't make me feel bad for owning a dog like Frodo :D

Bigpoodleperson

Megan and Draco
I adore All of my vets!!!! Granted I work with them... All the clients think they are awesome too!!

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
I like my vet clinic. They don't care that I feed raw, they see it obviously works. They don't even push vaccines on me either and they don't treat me like an idiot. They're all very nice there too and tell me all the time how wonderful Izzie is and how she is the fittest Pug ever.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Nope, I haven't found a vet I like or even love that hasn't moved away. Sucks. I keep to myself and only go to my clinic for things I cannot handle. It's a teaching clinic, so they're fresh out of school, newly educated, and inexpensive which I enjoy, but the bummer is when I find a good one they leave.

Toller_08

I love my vet. He's not quite as pro-limited vaccine as I'd like, but he does not push them on us and listens to my viewpoints. He recommends dogs be vaccinated every three years until they're seniors, and then to stop vaccinating, whereas I believe in as limited amount of vaccinating as possible. But he doesn't argue with me.

He doesn't care what we feed and has never pushed yucky food on us. He compliments my dogs condition and coats constantly and only once asked what we fed, but not because anything was wrong with my dogs. He was just curious. And he does believe in raw feeding too, which is nice. His viewpoints on how to feed raw are different than mine, but again, it's not a conflict.

He tells us like it is and sugarcoats nothing. He chats with us like we're friends, he remembers things we've told him about the dogs, etc. He doesn't over charge for anything. We've been going to him for almost my entire life. He's going to retire soon though and then I don't know what we'll do. I don't like stories I've heard of other popular vets here and I hate the way one of the supposed best clinics in the city treats my friends' Poms and my Grandpa's Chi the one time we took him there (they basically sent him home to die while telling us "these pills will work and he'll live a long life, don't worry"). So I'm hoping my vet puts off retirement for a couple more years at least, and I hope I'll be able to find a new vet who isn't insanely expensive and is open to listening to me about how I prefer to raise my dogs.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I am ok with my vet.. at best.
He is friendly and for the most part, lets me do what I want.
He does push early s/n and vaccines on his other clients, but has learned to just leave me alone about it lol which is nice because I was sick of fighting with him.

So yea, no love.. but he is at least well trained lol

My dogs RARELY go to the vet regardless.
Once every 3 years for rabies.
and other than that.. nothing. They are quite healthy so they rarely see us..

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I love my vet :D she has never said anything when we chose to keep Rosey intact (yah we've been with her a long time), she's understanding of my pet's issues (especially Renegade), and it's just obvious she really does care about how my pets are doing

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
I LOVE our vet. I request her personally for appointments. Hands down the kindest person I have ever pet in the "animal industry". She has known all the dogs since puppyhood. She will often give me deals on medicine, and let me treat the pack for stuff with only seeing one day. Often times we get some freebies, and office visits not charged (like when my cat a few years ago with dying of CHF she only charged us for her meds). She'll write me prescriptions to take somewhere cheaper. I actually feel bad sometimes using the cheaper vaccination clinic because we miss out seeing her (though dogs don't really need a checkup). LOL

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I LOVE our vet. I request her personally for appointments. Hands down the kindest person I have ever pet in the "animal industry". She has known all the dogs since puppyhood. She will often give me deals on medicine, and let me treat the pack for stuff with only seeing one day. Often times we get some freebies, and office visits not charged (like when my cat a few years ago with dying of CHF she only charged us for her meds). She'll write me prescriptions to take somewhere cheaper. I actually feel bad sometimes using the cheaper vaccination clinic because we miss out seeing her (though dogs don't really need a checkup). LOL
:rofl1:

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
I adore my vet. She is a sweetheart! She is always very interested in what I have to say and she loves the curly tails. Her favorite in our household though is the Autumn kitty...she has a lot of rescued cats herself and a soft spot for kitties in general.

She is very willing to learn about the special health concerns that are involved with having Menchi as a patient... so that is a pretty happy thing :)

Last edited:
B

Blue_Dog

I do like my vet. He is reasonably priced and very fair. We actually found him at the annual rabies clinic thing, they charge $15 for a rabies vaccine, and my parents liked him so much that they asked for his clinic information.

When Blue was sick he was very kind and didn't charge for the extra xrays that needed to be taken nor for the fluid sample to see what was filling up in Blue's abdomen and was so kind when the diagnoses wasn't good.

With Sam's first visit as a puppy he spent some time making him feel comfortable and played with him before checking him over and doing the needles; even when Sam went in for his last check up our vet was great with making him feel welcome. Sam even remembered him and immediately went to one of the desk drawers too ask for a tennis ball. :p

I have never really talked about diet with him before but I do recall he nearly fell over when I told him I had been using some hot dog as a high-level reward for training. So I wouldn't be surprised if he was against raw.

You guys only get rabies vaccines every three years? My city requires them to be annual things. I'm jealous!

Toller_08

You guys only get rabies vaccines every three years? My city requires them to be annual things. I'm jealous!
A lot of vets seem to be moving from every year to every 3 years now. Here anyway, not sure about other places. Rabies isn't actually required here at all by law (rabies isn't overly common here), but most vets push it anyway. None of my dogs are vaccinated for it and won't be unless we move somewhere where it's a problem or it suddenly becomes a problem here.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Well I did like the vet we were seeing, but she doesn't work at that clinic anymore. The other ones there are fine too I just haven't really seen them enough to form an opinion.

The vets I work with... meh, they practice good medicine but they do push the vaccines and prescription diets.

My pets don't really go to the vet though so it doesn't really matter. No one cares when I don't want to vaccinate. No one asks what I feed. So there is no conflict lol.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I can honestly say I don't think my vet has ever asked what I feed. Except with the ferrets when I had to fill out a new patient card, it asked for what they are fed, but that has changed like 20 times since I got them LOL

B

Blue_Dog

A lot of vets seem to be moving from every year to every 3 years now. Here anyway, not sure about other places. Rabies isn't actually required here at all by law (rabies isn't overly common here), but most vets push it anyway. None of my dogs are vaccinated for it and won't be unless we move somewhere where it's a problem or it suddenly becomes a problem here.
That would be really nice, I suppose it must be a problem here. It's required and fines can be given if your dog is found without it. Hmmm...

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
I just found a vet I really like, but unfortunatly she is a vet that moves around and takes over for my regular vet who is away alot during the winter because he is a vet for dog sled races.

But I like her alot more than I like my regular vet. And of course I am moving this April and will have to find a new vet for Mitsu, and vet options arent exactly alot.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
They accept the yearly or 3 year rabies vax here

but regardless, you are supposed to buy the updated tag every year.
Which I believe is about $5.. my vet sends them to us by mail while the dogs are still covered by the 3 year vaccine

I love our vets (husband & wife team) They used to be with a clinic only 5 minutes from my house that was bought out by a big chain. They were unhappy there with the new policies, etc. and ended up buying a practice about 45 mins away. I was happy to find out where they were and had all the records sent to them. The groomer also moved to the new place with them. They are fantastic with dogs, were super when I had cats and are a very caring couple. They sent a sympathy card when my husband passed and always send a card with a personal handwritten note wheniever I have lost a pet. They also don't sugarcoat things and will give their honest opinion when you ask what would they do if it was their pet. They have even given me breaks on their bills when I have them do yearly checks and shots, etc. when the dogs would be there for the day for grooming. While the old place would be much more convenient for me to go to I happily go the distance so they can care for my crew.

Members online

No members online now.