Need help quick please....

JFrick

My Mom just called and the puppy that she adopted from me just swallowed one of her earplugs that she sleeps with at nights....She said it was the foam kind. She said she saw him with it, but before she could get it out of his mouth he had swallowed it.

I told her to call the vet right now and ask them what to do. I told her I had heard that you can give a dog (not sure about a pup) a small amount of peroxide which would make him throw it back up.....told her to ask the vet about that though as I wasn't sure if that's a good idea....

Any suggestions on how to make him bring that back up? He swallowed it about 10 minutes ago (around 4:45 est).

malmo

Here to learn
The JRT I fostered ate a pair of foam earplugs without me knowing it. He pooped them out, and that's when I found them. They were, like, not even dented.

He wasn't a puppy though. Interested to see what the vet says.

Charliesmommy

I run with scissors
Yes, you can give peroxide to make him vomit, but I don't know that it's necessary. Earplugs are pretty small so he may just pass it with no problem. I would wait to see what the vet recommends before trying anything.

My vet had me give Charlie 2 tablespoons of peroxide when he ate a bottle of Advil. It worked like a charm. He was probably about 6 months old at the time and weighed about 40-50 maybe. I don't know the recommended dosage for a smaller dog/pup.

JFrick

Thanks Aussie, I haven't thought about that......

She's calling the vet though, just wanted to see what suggestions ya'll would have.

JFrick

The JRT I fostered ate a pair of foam earplugs without me knowing it. He pooped them out, and that's when I found them. They were, like, not even dented.

He wasn't a puppy though. Interested to see what the vet says.
Yeah, I thought about them being foam, so it may be able to just squeeze through and not cause a blockage. I'd be more worried if it was the rubber kind..

JFrick

Yes, you can give peroxide to make him vomit, but I don't know that it's necessary. Earplugs are pretty small so he may just pass it with no problem. I would wait to see what the vet recommends before trying anything.

My vet had me give Charlie 2 tablespoons of peroxide when he ate a bottle of Advil. It worked like a charm. He was probably about 6 months old at the time and weighed about 40-50 maybe. I don't know the recommended dosage for a smaller dog/pup.
Well, the pup is small, around 4 pounds. I'll let you all know what the vet says....Still interested in seeing what other's suggest also...

Thanks for the quick replies...

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
I think puppy needs to get to the vets asap before the plug goes any futher down in the stomach.

A pup that size - an ear plug in the belly could mean extraction surgery.

JFrick

Well, my Mom just called back and the vet told her to give him 1 teaspoon of peroxide. She said she didn't even mention that I had told her about that, they told her to do that on their own.....

She gave him the 1 teaspoon and she said that within 5 minutes, he threw up 2 earplugs. She said she had apparently lost them in the night at some point and they were under her bed.

Anyway, all is good now......Thanks for all of your concerns.....

bubbatd

Whew !!! Glad it's over !!! I was going to suggest to wait . So now I'm curious .... I've never had to make a dog throw up .....how much peroxided would you use for a 60 to 90 # dog ??? Just good to know .

JFrick

Sounds like it may be a tablespoon per 20 pounds of dog. Not sure though, just using the above quote as a basis on that.

Buddy weighs around 4-5 pounds and the vet instructed 1 teaspoon. They also told my Mom that if that didn't work, to wait an hour and give him another teaspoon. It worked the first time...

Members online

No members online now.