Ol' Roy Puppy Food?

Mordy

Quigleyfied
PuppyPalace, there is also no reason for you to insult people on this forum.

Please drop the personal comments, or this thread will be closed.

Ol' Roy is not a good food. That is a fact that is not even debatable. However, will your dog die because it's eating Ol' Roy? No. Will he have a shorter life span? Not neccesarily. Would he be healthier on a better quality food? Yes.

showpug

PuppyPalace,
I think the fact that you are getting so defensive and annoyed means you DO care and want to do the right things for your dogs.

Your dogs will indeed live on the foods you have mentioned, but they will not thrive. Canidae is NOT expensive and it's certainly high quality. Making the chage would be well worth it in the long run. If you can't get Canidae then of couse there is Eagle Pack, Solid Gold, Innova, Wellness, Natural Balance and so many more great foods! Do you have access to Petco? If so, consider Natural Balance. If you have a Petsmart then consider Blue Buffalo.

Quality of food does matter and it does make a difference. I am sure you would agree that diet plays a huge role in the overall health of humans, well it's the same for dogs.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
Chicken soup is a GREAT food.
it may seem expensive, but in the long run with such a tiny dog and a better quality food youll actually SAVE money because your dog will eat less...
PLEASE keep up with the chickensoup...

I have 2 adult chihuahuas and a litter of 4 currently and go through a $12 every 3 months (luckily im smart and freeze) I feed Royal Canin Mini-Dog, its one of the few things my picky eaters will eat! and its not a BAD food!
and think of it this way, $12 / 2 = $6 per 3 months =$2 a month to feed each of my dogs a fairly good quality food!

any food you can buy from a grocery store is the equivalent of Mc'D's yes you can surivive eating mc donalds every dya of your life...but your not gonna be healthy... and you have to eat more of the junk to feel full because your not getting the right nutrients...

Wouldnt you prefer to spend an extra few bucks to feed a high quality food and have less poop to clean up, and know that your giving your dog the best you can.

Well actually i'm not saving with SunShine puppy chow and Ol'Roy she only ate half a cup. With Chicken Soup it's 1c-1 1/3c, but i hope she will do better on the Chicken Soup Puppy Chow.

BostonBanker

Just curious, those feeding super premium foods, tell us (truthfully ) how many one cup dry measuring cups you feed per day, and the weight of your dog, how active they are etc. If you would like also tell the calories per cup in your food.
Meg gets (truthfully) between a quarter of a cup and a third of a cup 2x/day of adult Innova. I vary it a bit based on how many treats she got that day. She was, at last check, 36 lbs of solid muscle. I would rate her activity as moderate - moderate/high. She spends all day loose with several dogs at the farm, does agility a couple of days a week, goes on a good hour+ hike a couple of times a week, and spends time each day either biking or playing fetch.

It amazes me how little Innova she needs to eat. Every once in a while, I think she can't possibly be getting enough, and I bump her up a bit. She quickly starts to get chunky.

[/IMG]

Not a good picture, but you can see her weight, and the muscling in her hind end and shoulders a bit. She looks like a gymnast.

nancy2394

Maybe it's just me, but I really believe that if you can't afford to feed your dog properly, you can't afford to have a dog. It's great that you came here for help, but don't expect everyone to throw a pity party for you, because it just won't happen. I'm not trying to be rude or anything, this is just something that really bothers me. It's kind of like what some people do with kids...but I won't even go there :rolleyes:

Good luck on your hunt for new food. I hope you make a good decision :)

You took the words right out of my mouth. I don't mean to be rude either... but geez.. this dog is your loved one. Why not budget your funds a little better and provide a better food? Pets are a commitment, and you wouldn't feed your child hotdogs night after night.. would you? I wish you luck in selecting a better food. I hope you've learned some good info from some of the folks on here. They eat less of the higher quality food. So, the money aspect balances out in the long run.

nancy2394

I didn't finish reading the thread before I posted... sorry. I'm glad you found a good food for your yorkie. And I really don't think people have been rude... they're just trying to help you.

deb27

You will notice as she gets older the amounts go down...and that is JUST a guidline, I notice my pups eat less then the guidlines.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
How about this Nutro Natural Choice Puppy Food? It's on sale for $5.99 at petco for a 5lb bag. Here are it's Ingredients:

Lamb meal, ground rice, wheat flour, rice bran, sunflower oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a source of natural vitamin E), natural flavors, dried egg product, monosodium phosphate, dried kelp (source of iodine), choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, zinc sulfate, niacin, ferrous sulfate, calcium pantothenate, vitamin A supplement, manganous oxide, thiamine mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), vitamin D3 supplement, riboflavin supplement (source of vitamin B2), vitamin B12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), folic acid, cobalt carbonate, biotin.

It has 26% protein.

This is what I feed. It's wonderful. We mix wet with dry, but you don't have to. I just enjoy spoiling my babies. :D They still eat just dry when we run out of cans. ;) Good luck. Hope you find a good quality food.

Ashlea

My feelings on dog food are as follows.
The little souls are dependant on us for life, they can't choose the food they eat, they can't tell us how it makes them feel, so give them the very best you can, as you do for yourself. They have no choice in this do the best you can.

Well done on changing your pups food, you will soon see the difference in her and be a convert like the rest of us!

lol thanks. I also finally picked out a feeding plan since i don't like to feed after 5-6pm since then she will have accidents at night. I decided she will get fed at 7am, 11am, and 3pm.

joce

puppy palace you said your in ohio? Do you have a costco?

I feed kirklands and it lasts what seems like forver. Its cheap and my dogs do great on it.

No matter what the food you may have to play around and find something your dog does well on. My dobe can't eat the chicken-but does fine on the lamb foods.

Members online

No members online now.