Gotta stop listening to the news...

K

Kaydee

A healthier alternative is to wait for the weekly Time to tell me what's going on in the world, maybe CNN once in awhile. Listening to the radio on the way home, let's see Syria is exploding, people are falling asleep on the expressway and elsewhere with major crashes...one of the Colorado victims, the one with the 6 yr old who died, has miscarried...and still doesn't know her daughter died...gah, it would be a mercy killing, I would just request a fast painless overdose...no way would I want to live after that. Then I get up to the corner and everything is blocked with emergency vehicles. Think between the heat and obscene taxes there have been fires every weekend it seems.

It's time to take kid to people playground then dog out for a long hike. Yeah you can still hear sirens in the woods, but sometimes it's so quiet you can hear yourself breathe...really need that...regularly...:hail:

Lyzelle

I rarely listen to the news. Just no good reason to stay updated with how many people died that particular day. Nothing I can do about it anyway.

It's a peaceful life once you stop wondering what everyone in the world is doing at every moment of every day. Focusing on you, your family, your life, and your own news is the best way to live in my opinion. That's about the only thing you can change anyway.

It's one of those SS/DD things. I've reached the point where I listen for things that strike me, then do my own looking up to see what's going on. Do I really need to know about the latest murder or -- literal or figurative -- train wreck? I can't do anything about something like that that's already happened, but there are things I can have an impact on, things that are in process, are impending or that I can help change to maybe see that they don't again.

Try to remember that most people really are just going about their normal lives not shooting people or causing big car crashes or whatever. You just don't hear about the times someone mows their neighbor's lawn or cleans their gutters for them just to be nice, because those stories aren't sexy. ;)

K

Kaydee

That used to be something oddly comforting living in a small town. It was insulated from the world out there. Of course it was like living on the set of "Deliverance" too, but the only national news source was the USA Today in Dunkin Donuts. The local paper would have this teeny little column devoted to world news-something like "Those durn fureners are still out there wiping each other out, meanwhile in local news the Shickshinny varsity team scored a big win...
The police blotter would have maybe two items. One was always about drunken disorderly students at the college, but they didn't hurt anyone. Then maybe someone got a lawn ornament stolen and there was a full investigation underway. I'm not exaggerating. Even with Katrina it was a quarter page story.
But do I miss living there? No.

Members online

No members online now.