Breaking the habbit??

Im in the process of Paper Training Casper (and its not going so well)... but shes come up with a new habit.... shes started peeing on the bed!
The first 2 days after I got her, though she wouldnt pee on the paper, she would still make an effort to climb off the bed then pee. Now she just squats and goes.
Idk what brought this habit on and why but its becoming quite a problem cause I really have no way of keeping her off the bed (its an air mattress) until I get a regular mattress bed.

I mentioned before that its been a while since ive had a little puppy... so as far as Potty Training im a little rusty.
Whats the best way to properly discipline her and teach her to poo and pee on the paper??

Im using paper for now till shes big enough to walk down the stairs (im in an upstairs apt.) then ima work on training her to go outside. I take her outside all the time now but she just wont potty outside for some reason.

Need a little advice.

Maura

You need to keep her off the bed. That could mean using a baby gate to keep her out of your room. As for the rest of potty training, train her as you would any other dog. Feed her on a schedule so that she will relieve herself on a schedule. If she is on a schedule it's easier for the human to be trained to it. Once you know how long it takes for her to poop after eating (think about 30 minutes), you can play with her in the general area of the paper (try using a litter box), and place her on the paper when she starts circling or sniffing or giving you other potty signals. Since you are keeping little treats in your pocket, you will be able to give her a treat the instant she is done. Praise also.

My preference would be to have her sit at the door, then carry her downstairs, then walk her to the potty area. Again, treat and praise the instant she is done. If she HAS to go, she will go. She can only hold it for so long.

You don't write what you are feeding her, but if she is on a low quality diet she will need to potty more often.

lizzybeth727

Whats the best way to properly discipline her and teach her to poo and pee on the paper??
I agree with Maura's advice. I just wanted to add that you canNOT punish your puppy for pottying on your bed. She's doing it because she thinks it's the right thing to do, and it's your job to prevent her from making mistakes.

Members online

No members online now.