Dogs Left Outside

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
That is a good article! But I wouldn't dream of leaving Gus outside all the time!! He likes his comfort!! :D

bubbatd

I leave the back door open when weather permits....where does Chip go ?? To "his" futon where he can watch and guard the front yard all day (unless he's next to me or in the hall where he can see me ) When I boot the 'puter or log off he hears the click and runs in.

IlUvMyAnImAlZ05

Cats&Dogs r what I live 4
Excellent Article!

EXCELLENT article! I believe no dog should be out side inless out on a long lead to use the bathroom for no longer then 10 mins.,being walked,being bathed,being taken out to go potty,or being played with out side. A dog needs a family to be inside with,walked,and played with. When there outside there life is being wasted they can't do anything except sit out there and he could be inside with a family. I wonder why people get dogs to have chains around there neck and have nothing to do. I mean would people want to sit out there on a chain in a yard NO.
I am so glad to see all you guys keep your dogs inside.
All my odgs are inside dogs and are walked daily and spoiled there couch and everybody in are family is there best friend!
~!~Mandy~!~

Gotta admit, Bimmer and Shiva are outside right now, enjoying a sunny day to chase squirrels and dig after moles and make sure the cows don't get out. But they are farm dogs and they love it. When they're ready to come in they'll let me know, lol. They are DEFINITELY house dogs though, just ask 'em. :D

Purr

~3 Mutts~
That was terrific article! I love the fact that Dennis (the author) has a sense of humar LOL. My dogs are also indoor dogs only. They sleep on my bed, and are usually at my heels where ever I go.

I have no problem with people owning outdoor dogs as long as they are properly cared for. My girls live inside, but spend quite a bit of time outside.

Rose's Gal

Good article. But seeing as how I own two all time outside dogs......let's just say it wasn't completly to my taste. The article made it seem like everybody who had an outside dog cared nothing for there dog. I have no problem with outside dogs, as long as they are taken care of. Which would include attention, exercise, medical care, shelter, grooming, etc.
I'd love to bring our dogs inside, but not only would my parents not allow it, our cat would die of fright. (Or he'd be eaten by Blackie. lol) And we can't kick the cat out and bring the dogs in because Rush is NOT an outside cat (he is a weanie. lol) and would litteraly tear down our doors trying to get back in. There are also to many predetors outside, including other cats.
So I don't think keeping dogs outside is bad, as long as they are properly cared for. (I would feel really bad keeping just one dog outside though. But since we have two dogs, they have company when we aren't outside. We also live out in the country so pesky neighbors aren't really a problem. If we lived in town, the dogs would most likely be inside.)

bubbatd

I think if my dogs were out all the time, I'd be camping out too! I'm not familiar with your situation.....are they fenced ? tied ?? have shelter ?? etc etc. Mainly, are they happy ?? I ,personally, could only have a companion, family dog . One that lives like me....inside, outside, car trips ( quick to the grocery or long) . Unless you own a kennel or a lot of dogs used for a purpose , it's hard for me to think of a life of a outside dog. My old neighbors had two outside dogs.....fed, watered etc etc....it broke my heart to watch them all day waiting for their masters to come home ...the joy of their barking when they heard the car ,,,then only a few pats, food and water. Then I'd watch them lay down and sigh , ..... they wanted more.

Rose's Gal

bubbatd said:
I'm not familiar with your situation.....are they fenced ? tied ?? have shelter ?? etc etc. Mainly, are they happy ?? I ,personally, could only have a companion, family dog . One that lives like me....inside, outside, car trips ( quick to the grocery or long) . Unless you own a kennel or a lot of dogs used for a purpose , it's hard for me to think of a life of a outside dog. My old neighbors had two outside dogs.....fed, watered etc etc....it broke my heart to watch them all day waiting for their masters to come home ...the joy of their barking when they heard the car ,,,then only a few pats, food and water. Then I'd watch them lay down and sigh , ..... they wanted more.
They have a nice sized kennel up along the east side of our house. They each have a doghouse (but they prefer to share just one) and Blackie has a 'table'. It is sorta like an old picnic table. He jumps on top of it to sleep and sunbathe. lol Part of the kennel is grass, part of it is cement blocks (This is where they eat) and part is dirt. (We want to put sand where the dirt is though, so they can dig to their hearts content and keep cooler in the summer.) And, during the hot days of summer, they have a kiddy pool. lol
They get a nice long walk in the afternoon and a run in the evening and sometimes morning depending on how the weather is, how busy I am, etc. And, if everyone is outside like today, Rose gets to run and Blackie gets put on the retractable leash. (I want to get him a 'lunge' line, ya know, those 40+ foot hunting leash things so when we are out, we can have him 'chained' but yet he can still 'wander'.)
And yep, I think Blackie and Rose are pretty happy. Sure, Rose is in complete bliss when I let her inside to sleep on my bed (shhhhhhh! Don't tell mom! lol) and Blackie would love to be inside with us all of the time, but they love being outside too. I think that they'd rather have us move outside with them. lol

I know Ritz takes really good care of her dogs :). They sound like very happy animals. I bet they love that kiddy pool, LOL!!

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
Most everyone I know leave their dogs outside.

Myself, one friend (the one I got angry at when Rocky was younger for agitating him), and my neighbor are the only ones I know who have their dogs inside.

Anyway, yeah, I think if you take good care of them there's not really a problem with having them outside, although, I don't think I would ever leave my dog outside.

But, like the article said, there's really no point in having one if you're just going to leave him outside. I mean, if you have one, you want it for companionship or protection. Like the article said, are you scared someone is going to steal your lawn? Or do you keep your jewlery outside? I mean, unless you camp outside your whole life, he's not going to be much of a companion.

I thought this was a good article, and it made some great points.

bubbatd

To each his own.....I have dogs as family....period. I would never put my family in the backyard unless I was a serious breeder for showing etc and would have the kennels for these reasons. To me one or two dogs should be inside , outside familys dogs.

My dogs prefer being outside during the winter and like being inside during the summer. I dont decide when they come in or out, they do. I just live in this house where these 2 dogs decide things for my family. They tell me what to eat, where to sleep, everything. They're even telling me what college to go to. I tried arguing but they just wont have it.

-Jon

Ya, its a dog's world and humans are just toys they can control just by looking cute.

By, the way, I really did get locked out of my house for a while on the windiest, rainiest day because of Boomer. I guess I displeased him. lol

-Jon

Members online