Agility training

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
First first agility runs in just over a year: beautiful...except for that moment when she thought the ball of fur on the floor just might be sirloin...haha.

Ohhhh Kimmy. You crack me up.

After running Mira, it's so easy to forget that not all dogs naturally love to focus 100% on their job all the time.

Still really happy with what First Dog gave me after so much time off. She's a fine dog :)

BostonBanker

My dogs are so flipping amazing. Gusto is rocking this trial and Meg is always perfect and I have gushed to everyone here so now you guys are getting it.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Josefina would be SO SO good at agility ... but I am afraid to start teaching her to climb over things & under things & over things until I get a good, secure, taller fence erected around this yard because she has a tendency to ... uh ... use what she's learned to do naughty things :p ... typical ACD, :rofl1:

BostonBanker

You must post at least one video of Phelan being evil for each cute video. That clip makes me want one so badly, and I need something to counteract it!

We just got home from two days of USDAA - Gusto's first time out since our online class. I spent most of the trial grinning like an idiot. He was happy and playing and barking on every start line; he ran beautifully the entire weekend. Zero sniffing, which has been our biggest sign of stress. A few wide baby turns, once or twice where he'd start staring off at the masters ring and then have to come back to me mentally, but so so so much better than what we had been getting.

He was the only dog out of all PII/Advance to qualify in snooker yesterday, along with a nice PII jumpers Q. His standard run Saturday was one of the best runs I'd ever had with him despite the fact that he popped the last weave pole - until today, when his PII Standard run was absolutely smooth and fast and flawless. I got all teary trying to cuddle him after his run - and he of course got annoyed that I was trying to snuggle in public. He's such a boy. He got another Snooker Q today as well.

Meg was just too much fun. I only ran her in standard both days, and I clearly need to put her in more than one class a day. She was so high and fast her feet were coming out from under her, and she'd get ahead of me and start play bowing. She didn't Q in either - missed a discrimination on Saturday, and play bowed in the weaves today - but I am just so happy to see her having such a great time and being so sound that it doesn't matter at all.

We've got two more fall trials, then I think we'll be on a very light schedule for the winter. I want to do a lot more proofing and teach a few other skills before he actually hits the masters ring!

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
Ohhhhhh I will take a Phelan please!!!! He's so good <3

Sounds like an awesome weekend, BB! Can't wait to see more videos of Gusto and Meg please? :p

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
BB, what class did you take? I've got my eye on a few Agility U courses but nothing that is open right now of course.

Payton was amazing in practice today. We did a lot of handling in a circle then our last rep I decided to send him over a jump and then on to the dog walk instead of coming back to the jump, layering the jump. He was flawless. I bellowed "GOOD BOY" rather loudly. My neighbours all think I'm a psycho. They're probably right.

Georgie just miiiight pull off a jumpers Q. Less confident in standard with her, but I'm taking over training this week along with a can of squeeze cheese... so we shall see what we get!

BostonBanker

BB, what class did you take? I've got my eye on a few Agility U courses but nothing that is open right now of course.
I did Agility Fix-It, with Tracy Sklenar, and really liked it. I'd absolutely do more with her (I also love her as a seminar presenter, and am going to one with her Thanksgiving weekend), although access to equipment is a big limiter for me. I've also heard great things about Ashley Deacon's classes.

It was kind of a trial thing for me; I 'did' Recallers, and really didn't enjoy it. I figured online training wasn't for me, but the format of the Agility-U class worked great for me. And we definitely got a ton out of it!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Gosh I really love your Meg. <3 What a sweetie.

We did private lessons today and my dogs crapped out on me within the hour. Sigh. We had to move to 2 jump exercises inside. It said it was 90 out but HUMID as can be and absolutely zero wind. It was worse than many warmer days we've spent out there.

Plus side is we got through the scary chute and made some progress on Mia's scary teeter. She is wanting to play with it and freely getting on but getting concerned still at the tipping point. We played the bang game and made the teeter easy and also super super happy. Rewarded with a tunnel and she had fun. I'm happy with the progress.

Other plus side is I now have some good 2 jump things to do in the front yard.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Love reading everyone's agility updates. :)

Found a nice agility training place with puppy foundation classes leading to comp., the trainer there competes nationally and all looks good.

BostonBanker

Can't wait to see more videos of Gusto and Meg please?
Well if you are going to keep twisting my arm like that...

[YOUTUBE]y_QfPN-VeYg[/YOUTUBE]
Gusto's jumpers run from Saturday. He got a little distracted with the dogs in the other ring running, but came back to me pretty easily. Mostly I love this video (once I got past the self-conscious awkwardness of watching it!) is that the person filming started way too soon. One of my big things lately has been getting Gusto to play on the start line. He was shutting down once I put the cookies and tug down to go into the ring. We got stuck on the line forever while they changed jumps heights (and they never pulled the spreads out for our previous run, hence me being annoying about it), and you can see he started to turn off, but he played so much better than he ever used to.

[YOUTUBE]_UZ5eMHf-IU[/YOUTUBE]
And his Saturday standard run. I'm so sad I didn't have anyone tape his Sunday standard. I'm still really pleased with this one, even though he had a baby moment with the weaves. He's running, he's not getting distracted/sniffy on the contacts, and he's staying with me. I love him a bit :D

[YOUTUBE]zUARA7OFqPU[/YOUTUBE]
And Meg's Saturday standard run. Oh my gosh, she makes me happy. She's so naughty - breaking her start line! I trusted her too much on the discrimination, because when we were training regularly it would have been no question. Ah well. She's just so happy running. And she saved my butt when I gave her a terrible weave entry, so she still got her Nutter Butters after her run.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Ahhhhh I loved it! I need to at least get videos of Summer's runs at this next trial. I wish I had gotten her first trial on video.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
My mom was having trouble teaching Georgie the teeter so I took over. Along with a can of squeeze cheese.

Georgie's teeter problems are resolved.

I am a fan of this girly. She did her first full-height teeter and I started crowing "Who's my best girly!!" Uhhhh Pepper is LOL. Whoops! Georgie is not my girly.

I told my mom if she can avoid blowing her a-frame contact she might actually have a shot at a Q. Her dog walk contact is very nice... a-frame not so much. I have two days... Friday and Saturday after the trial. She is only in Sunday.

Payton is in both for both days. I started getting excited yesterday and then today I'm back to kind of nervous about it. Most of all I'm nervous about his weaves. WHY? It's NOVICE. Seriously. Who cares. I really shouldn't.

SaraB

I can't watch the new videos because I'm on my stupid work computer that is outdated and won't play online videos.. But when I get a chance to watch them at home I will!!

The girls and I have resumed our agility training. Zuma is pretty much right where I left her last spring. She still is a speed demon, still has control issues and still makes me scratching my head on occasion. No big surprises have popped up, which I'm very grateful for.

I think Zinga stole some of my agility books from the shelf or logged on and watched some online videos or something. This girl is on fire. I really wanted to take the break over the summer to see where her drive was when we started again. I left her in that silly teenager phase where drills are boring and I felt like her drive might have been slipping a tad (which is extremely relative, btw. It was slipping for her, but to a person who didn't know her probably couldn't have seen a difference). The break did a wonder of a difference! The fire is back, she is flying through courses but still has awesome control. I have never felt frustrated in a session with her, I laugh at least a few times in each session. This is the way training is supposed to be! Love this girl.

Zinga is working on finishing her weaves. Currently she is hitting and staying in 12 weaves in sequence about 85% of the time. That is the only foundation stuff we really have left, the rest is just her and I working on handling, figuring each other out.

Zuma is working on deceleration, collection, wraps and paying attention as usual. :)

If you made it this far, you are awesome.

Big news:
Zinga is entered in her first trial!!! USDAA on October 6th. We have a disc dog demo in the afternoon, so I entered her in just snooker because it was the first class. So freaking excited!!! :D

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
10pm the night before our trial... and I realized I have not really TAUGHT Payton how to do a broad jump. He's seen it... and cleared it... and also walked across it before... so...
uh-oh.

Members online

No members online now.