limited vaccinations on puppies

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
Any one do limited vaccinations for their pups?

I am planning on doing limited. Not doing the boosters, but just one shot at 12 weeks and then the rabies at 6 months. I was even planning on doing the vaccinations myself since there is a place where you can buy them, although I would have to get the vet to do the rabies at 6 months. I would titre at one year.

What are your thoughts. People who are getting puppies this year or next what is your vaccination plan?

SaraB

I absolutely do not joke around with distemper/parvo vaccines or their boosters. I do 3 boosters, one at 8 weeks, 12 weeks and then 16 weeks when their immune systems are ready to take over. Rabies I do at a year unless there is a reason to do it sooner (like a chance the dog will bite a person or another dog or if they are in close contact with wildlife). I do not vaccinate for lepto, lyme, corona, or bordetella.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I fully plan on vaccinating three times (8, 12, and 16 weeks) with distemper/parvo. Lepto is prevalent in this area and I consider my dogs at risk, so I will do a lepto vaccine as well. That is about as limited vaccine as I will do with puppies.

crazedACD

I absolutely do not joke around with distemper/parvo vaccines or their boosters. I do 3 boosters, one at 8 weeks, 12 weeks and then 16 weeks when their immune systems are ready to take over. Rabies I do at a year unless there is a reason to do it sooner (like a chance the dog will bite a person or another dog or if they are in close contact with wildlife). I do not vaccinate for lepto, lyme, corona, or bordetella.
Ditto. To the T. I've always read 16 weeks is necessary...if you are only going to vax once, 16 weeks would be it.

No matter when you vaccinate, do NOT put him on the floor of the vet's office. I don't know what I would do now, I might vaccinate a puppy myself so they are not exposed to the vet's office.

I booster the distemper/parvo at a year old, then maybe at 3-4 years, then it depends on the circumstances.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
This. I do puppy vaccines for distemper/parvo, and then rabies at a year, and then as needed.

DJEtzel

I vaccinate myself at 8/12/16 for my puppies and fosters. Then rabies at 6 months. Bordatella at 16 for classes, unfortunately. I've titered Frag and would like to with everyone in the future for distemper/parvo, but it is hard on the pocketbook. I give 3 year rabies for any adult dog after 1 year.

As for where puppies go; carried through pet stores/parks/at vets until 18 weeks, and only in houses/yards that have no dogs or with dogs utd on vaccines. Puppy classes ASAP before the series is finished if they are held at private buildings that require vaccines; IE daycare and dog park.

BostonBanker

Pretty much this, although with Gusto I actually did 7/8 weeks, 12/13 weeks (age was a bit uncertain) and then did not do the last booster. He was weaned so incredibly early, he was off maternal antibodies much younger than a typical puppy, and I was comfortable with the assumption that the vaccines would have taken effect at that point. With a typical puppy situation, that's exactly what I'd follow.

I also do the 1 year booster for distemper/parvo. After that, just rabies as required (another one I won't mess around with, since it could get my dogs killed) and titer every couple of years.

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
i titer at 8 weeks and only give what they need. even 1 vaccination can sometimes be too much, wouldnt you rather KNOW than be injecting blind?

BostonBanker

Don't maternal antibodies show on a titer though? At 8 weeks, I'd think you would still expect to see protection from the mother. Which yes, means a vaccine will be ineffective - but then you still need to vaccinate once those antibodies wear off.

I will be pretty lenient with my healthy adult dogs; Meg's titer came back on the low side (pretty much as low as it could be and still be considered protected) one year, and I didn't revaccinate at that point. I'll always be much more careful with my puppies. They have so many less reserves to draw on if they do get sick.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Juno was vaccinated at 7, 10, 13, and 16 weeks. Which to me was a little bit much, we should have done every 4 weeks so then it would have been 7, 11, 15 weeks.

I stupidly did the lyme vaccine too.

Then she got her boosters a year later.

I'm not sure what I would do with future puppies. I was not careful with Juno though, at all. She went to parks and pet stores and the vet office and I did not carry her or make any attempt to "shield" her.

Grab

I, too, do not mess around with puppy vaccines. I live in a VERY Parvo heavy area. As in, starting in around March, we see several positive test results each week. By summer we'll be seeing at least one positive test each day, if not more. (since Saturday, we've already had three positive tests, and one deceased sibling dog...11 months old, by the way, of a dog we had come up positive last week). I do three or four vaccines, depending on what age I get the puppy. After the first year, I don't booster more often than every three years.

While I am comfortable vaccinating them myself, I do not, simply because I'd want to order the vaccine myself. Since it's easier for me to just take them in to work, I don't do so. There are numerous places in town that sell vaccines, but we've had too many cases of dogs and pups having positive tests after being vaccinated with these vaccines for me to feel comfortable that they're being shipped and stored properly at the correct temperatures.

I was not careful with Juno though, at all. She went to parks and pet stores and the vet office and I did not carry her or make any attempt to "shield" her.
Me, either. My area of the Cities has an extremely low rate of parvo, so while I didn't go out of my way to go to high density areas like dog parks or anything like that, I did take him to work every day and walked him all over the neighborhood. (ETA: Although not low enough to not do the puppy series.)

Last edited:

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
I, too, do not mess around with puppy vaccines... I do three or four vaccines, depending on what age I get the puppy. After the first year, I don't booster more often than every three years.

While I am comfortable vaccinating them myself, I do not, simply because I'd want to order the vaccine myself. ... There are numerous places in town that sell vaccines, but we've had too many cases of dogs and pups having positive tests after being vaccinated with these vaccines for me to feel comfortable that they're being shipped and stored properly at the correct temperatures.
^Allll of that! Parvo is such a nasty disease and so prevalent here, I don't mess around with it. Aeri was vax'd at 12ish weeks and at 16ish weeks, rabies at about 5 months, booster for both at 1 year, then all vaccines are only given every three years.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Me, either. My area of the Cities has an extremely low rate of parvo, so while I didn't go out of my way to go to high density areas like dog parks or anything like that, I did take him to work every day and walked him all over the neighborhood.
Yep, I wasn't all "EXPOSE HER TO ALL THE THINGS" but I just... kind of did normal dog things with her and didn't worry about it much. But yeah, parvo isn't exactly running rampant around here.

crazedACD

I, too, do not mess around with puppy vaccines. I live in a VERY Parvo heavy area. As in, starting in around March, we see several positive test results each week. By summer we'll be seeing at least one positive test each day, if not more. (since Saturday, we've already had three positive tests, and one deceased sibling dog...11 months old, by the way, of a dog we had come up positive last week). I do three or four vaccines, depending on what age I get the puppy. After the first year, I don't booster more often than every three years.
To take this a little off topic, I've been mulling over vaccinations for when I move to Phoenix. My three are 7-8 years old...I don't remember when I last vaccinated each dog, but I don't live in a parvo heavy area. I should probably vaccinate for d/p, yeah? Where they potentially haven't been exposed to "Arizona" parvo...

Romy

Taxiderpy
To take this a little off topic, I've been mulling over vaccinations for when I move to Phoenix. My three are 7-8 years old...I don't remember when I last vaccinated each dog, but I don't live in a parvo heavy area. I should probably vaccinate for d/p, yeah? Where they potentially haven't been exposed to "Arizona" parvo...
The parvo is AZ is nasty nasty nasty and deeply embedded everywhere. It's such a hot dry climate it survives in the soil pretty much all over. The rescue I worked with in Tucson had puppies pick up parvo on a simple walk to the 7-11 on the corner, etc. It was heartbreaking, and really really not something to mess with.

Members online

No members online now.