Looking for home for aussie

BenDew said:
We tried several obediance schools nothing really seemed to work. The bottom line is it has gotten to the point where he has already bitten at least 2 people. And a third today when I was picking him up from the Vet. The guy was just trying to pet him, copper started to sniff him, and no sooner had the words to warn the guy left my mouth than copper started barking and nipped the guy in the stomach. To say the least he was pissed. I just don't know what to do with him anymore..
If he's bitten three people, you've been lucky the law hasn't already gotten involved and taken the decision out of your hands. I sympathize with your situation - training hasn't worked, you probably didn't bargain on this problem when you got a dog - but you need to manage Copper responsibly. If you're unwilling or unable to keep him safely controlled so others aren't at risk, you should euthanize him. If you are willing to make adjustments in your life to prevent him from being able to bite again, however, it isn't really neccessary that he change. Desirable, yes. Neccessary, no. He could be a fairly happy dog living at home, confined in a secure kennel when there are visitors, and muzzled and leashed when out in public. Though I'd be very cautious about assuming he's fine with family. An unjustified bite is kind of a slippery slope.

Doberluv

Here's what I'd do: I would not pawn him off on someone else. He is your responsibility. He's been your dog all this time and you owe it to him to make his remaining years as good as they can be. Somewhere along the line, something wasn't handled properly and he became this way. Dogs almost never become aggressive for no reason.

I would keep this dog at home and away from strangers. I wouldn't bother trying to fix him at this point. It appears that that would be too difficult for you. Since he is happy around his family, let him live the rest of his life in a stress free enviornment. If you have guests over, put him in a seperate room or kennel with some toys. Use a muzzle when you have to take him around strangers, such as to the vet's.

If you really do want to modify his behavior, then get a reputable, certified behavorist who uses positive methods and not punishing methods. Bridey is absolutely right about using adversives on an aggressive dog, regardless of whether it's fear aggression or dominance aggression. Please, if you go that route, get lots of referrences for this trainer who will help out. This 8 yr old dog deserves to have a happy remainder of his life. To dump him or abandon him at this stage is unthinkable to me.

I do hope things will improve for you and your dog.

M

Manchesters

I Was Not Trying To Be

Julie said:
Thank you very much for your opinion....
I was thinking that myself, I had to take a dramamine while I was making it, but it was my 3rd one I made last night, because I could not get the finished sigg. to look like I wanted it, I want it to be different, but pretty. I got so sick I had to go lay down!!, So I haven't had the chance to finish a new one and change it. :D

But don't worry I will get to it sometime today.

In the meantime, Manchesters, Just put a pair of sunglasses on, it will really help. I will be getting mine out when I go to change it. :cool:

By the way, I figured you would like it, if it makes people sick??? ;)
I could make one for you?????

Julie.

And Sorry for getting OT,
Crude, cruel or a smart arse. I did not know if you were aware that a signature blinking at THAT RATE could throw someone into a seizure. I explained in another thread where I thanked you---before I even came here (check the time) and explained that I am super sensative to motion, and that the signature was actually physically affecting me.

You really could have left out the snide crack about I would want something that would make people sick. With seizures it is a little more than making people sick. It is endangering them. All you had to do would have been to change the blink rate. But it gives a much nicer view of your dogs.

Again, thank you for your consideration.

Julie

I am back again.
Manchesters,
I was trying to make a joke, I guess it's hard to tell on line.

I really appriciate you thanking me for changing my signature, and you even called me a sweetie.....

I really did get sick while making it though, My head is still spinning from changing the signature today. I also get motion sickness very easy, and it really effected me too.

Sorry and I already replied to the other post you made.

Julie.

M

Manchesters

Julie

Julie said:
Manchesters,
I was trying to make a joke, I guess it's hard to tell on line.

I really appriciate you thanking me for changing my signature, and you even called me a sweetie.....

I really did get sick while making it though, My head is still spinning from changing the signature today. I also get motion sickness very easy, and it really effected me too.

Sorry and I already replied to the other post you made.

Julie.
Youse is a good person! (That is Brooklynese I like to use foreign languages once in a while) (I hope you are familiar with Brooklyn????) They talk like "dis, dem, deese, and dose instead of this, them, these, and those, rofl.

Members online

No members online now.