Westminster

jason_els

Jason, how'd you like Anne's Puli ("Dancer") that's the boy I showed against all year in 2005/06.
Very impressed! Dancer has what I call, "the ballgown sweep," which makes it look like he's not running under the cords (think of a woman in a ballgown who looks like she's just floating over the floor). He has charisma alright. John's Qunicy looked STUNNING. Soon as I saw him I knew it was John's. I always cheer for the Pulik and the Koms. Hungarian livestock dogs always seem to not have much of a chance. Westminster seems generally biased to the terrier-types. Maybe when the pumi reaches full status they'll have a shot?

I can always dream! :D

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I still wanted fairchild to win. You couldn't find a more adorable dog. I also love love love Harry.

Kinda sad most the winners were very predictable.

showpug

I still wanted fairchild to win. You couldn't find a more adorable dog. I also love love love Harry.

Kinda sad most the winners were very predictable.
I agree. He is SO showy! I thought it was his night for sure. He owned the ring!!!

BostonBanker

So, another showing question (that I'm assuming I know the answer to). I noticed there was a lot of variation in the condition of the breeds. For example, the sighthounds, of course, were very lean. There were some other breeds that looked like they were in fantastic condition - the Vizsla, the Weim, some terriers and herding dogs. And then there were some that looked...heavy. I know someone who does conformation and agility with her dog, and she won't compete in agility when it is hot because the dog needs to carry so much weight to be competitive in conf.

I had assumed it was similar to horses. Horses that are shown "in-hand" (at least in my discipline) tend to be pretty heavy. Partially because a lot of people equate weight with health in animals, and partially because it can cover some faults;) . But why are some breeds shown so fit, and others very heavy? After all, Vizslas and Labs are both hunting dogs, but the show Labs I've seen look too heavy to go out and work. Is it all just fads within the particular breed?

Thanks for answering some novice questions!

showpug

So, another showing question (that I'm assuming I know the answer to). I noticed there was a lot of variation in the condition of the breeds. For example, the sighthounds, of course, were very lean. There were some other breeds that looked like they were in fantastic condition - the Vizsla, the Weim, some terriers and herding dogs. And then there were some that looked...heavy. I know someone who does conformation and agility with her dog, and she won't compete in agility when it is hot because the dog needs to carry so much weight to be competitive in conf.

I had assumed it was similar to horses. Horses that are shown "in-hand" (at least in my discipline) tend to be pretty heavy. Partially because a lot of people equate weight with health in animals, and partially because it can cover some faults;) . But why are some breeds shown so fit, and others very heavy? After all, Vizslas and Labs are both hunting dogs, but the show Labs I've seen look too heavy to go out and work. Is it all just fads within the particular breed?

Thanks for answering some novice questions!
I agree with you on the labs. I think they are shown way too fat! Pugs are another breed that are overweight in the ring a lot of the time. I would never maintain or breed a pug while it is holding "show" weight. In fact, I recently got tired of keeping Alice on the "thicker" side and got some weight off of her. Then she started winning. Go figure:rolleyes: Anyway, some of the time it's a fad within the breed and sometimes it's truly for function like in the case of the whippets etc. Since pugs are suppose to be "cobby", I think a lot of people put extra fat on them to make them appear "cobby" when they really are not...

With labs, the standard pretty much calls for a solid built dog, which has been bastardized into FAT. This one was pretty good, I saw another one on tv, Eukanuba or Crufts where I could only describe the dog as mildly obese.

Working, weight would hurt the Visla more, since Labs are not supposed to cover distance like a pointer, so a fat pointer would be a serious detriment.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
With labs, the standard pretty much calls for a solid built dog, which has been bastardized into FAT. This one was pretty good, I saw another one on tv, Eukanuba or Crufts where I could only describe the dog as mildly obese.

Working, weight would hurt the Visla more, since Labs are not supposed to cover distance like a pointer, so a fat pointer would be a serious detriment.
Well, you have to remember that at Crufts it's mainly European dogs and European dogs tend to be stockier than Americans to begin with.

chinchow

Fuzzy Pants
I prefer a more solid Lab. MANY of the leaner field Labs I see are mostly in the more southern areas, places where it doesn't get nearly as cold. The further north I've looked, the more I see that it is sometimes a location difference. Stockier dogs, not necessarily fat, seem to handle the cold better than the thinner field Labs, which are often being bred TOO lean for the breed. They end up looking more like Pointers than Labradors.

Certainly, a lab can be too thin, and some of the upland, flushing dogs are. All the retrievers, including the water spaniels have some thickness to them, but the Labradors seem to be getting a little mastiff like.

No matter what the standard though, I think a working (sporting) dog needs to be fit. :) It cant be good for the dog to keep putting weight on for shows, and then taking it off for agility or even hunting.

chinchow

Fuzzy Pants
No matter what the standard though, I think a working (sporting) dog needs to be fit. :) It cant be good for the dog to keep putting weight on for shows, and then taking it off for agility or even hunting.
Definitely agreed!

I didn't get to watch (no tv) but I just watched the Neo breed judging on the site (hehe, my pick got first ;) ). I'm so excited that the Neo is recognized, it gives me hope that the Cane Corso will be recognized soon! *crosses fingers*

Jynx

well I missed most of it,,those darn herding dawgs are on so late, I fell asleep! LOL..

So I missed it about Kirby??? He passed away?? How old was he anyhow?

My sister's papillon is a Kirby grandson, looks just like him..
diane

Jynx

kirby

gosh I didn't realize he was that old,,I wonder if he was still with John his handler?

My sister's was with John for about 5 months, until they "thought" he was going to go oversize,,now they are kicking themselves in the ya know where, cause he is absolutely 'perfect'..oh well, he's neutered and ripping up agility courses..

diane

DanL

The handler for that English Springer is from my area. She's had him for 2 1/2 years and he goes home to the owner next week. There was an article in the paper today about them. She does therapy work with him too.

K

Kimmers

I don't know a lot about conformation but I was rooting for the Dandie Dinmont last night, which surprised me because I've never liked them before. His tail never stopped wagging and he looked like the most excited and happiest little thing out there. How could you not love him?

Members online